Nick Weglarz

kapkomet

Here is MLB.com's scouting report on him:

COMMENT: Tall, broad and strong. Huge, muscular thighs and forearms. Swings w/ an uppercut stroke w/ good strength and quickness in hands. Definite home run threat. Smooth play around the bag, w/ good hands and feet. Loves the game and plays w/ a kid's enthusiasm.

He's a 6'3 1st baseman from Lakeshore Catholic High School

Sicko... :P

Here is his scouting report from BA.

"The Braves drafted Canadian Scott Thorman with the 30th pick in 2000 because of his tremendous power potential, and the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Weglarz is the best power-hitting prospect Canada has produced since. He has long arms and generates good bat speed and leverage but has mechanical issues that will need to be corrected. Weglarz’ bat will have to carry him because he’s a below-average runner and limited to first base, though he’s mobile around the bag and his arm plays well enough to allow him to play in the outfield on occasion. Scouts got their best chance to see him this spring when he made trips to Florida with Canada’s junior national team and the Montreal-based ABC academy. He was not overly impressive the first time through but showcased his raw power the second time. He was also a member of Canada’s junior national squad that trekked to the Dominican Republic for a series of exhibition games in mid-May. Weglarz is one of the youngest players in this year’s draft. There is no clear consensus where he’ll be drafted, but he should go somewhere between rounds three and five. He’s the only Canadian attending school north of the border projected to go that early. "

A little more info on him is that he's the top rated Canadian player and is slotted by BA to go anywhere from the 2nd to 5th round. Of course Visa problems have been an issue in where the Canadian players end up being drafted. I remember reading therer were a few more visa's available this year due to a new temp program thats around.

He's a power prospect and isn't going to be able to play anywhere but 1st (he should grow into an average 1st baseman).

Personally I think Jeff Larish will be his competition. A collegiate 1st baseman who has tons of power already and is slated to go then too. However, Larish could go earlier to a team looking on the cheap cause Larish really doesn't have much leverage and in my opinion made a big mistake turning down 750K last year (I think the Dodgers drafted him, am not positive).

Either way an intriguing looking kid. Also very young, born on Dec 16, 1987

From what I have seen (lots of video) he's really a lot like Konerko - but has better hands... which should bode him well. He's also not as much of a dead pull hitter, which is a definite plus. He can hit to all fields.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
I like his age, his size, and his left handed all around style. Might be someone we could pick up in the 3rd-4th round as we need some power injected into the system, especially at 1B.

Ya, could be a definate fit for the Sox. Of course the Sox may grab a guy in the 3rd and 4th rounds that will be a tougher sign (ie a guy thats slid a bit due to signability). I think you may see them offering a 2nd or 3rd rounder higher than slot money this year (we shall see though).

If he's there in the 5th I think they consider it. He seems quite raw but the tools are there.

I'd be in heaven if he went to the Sox.

Guess what team has shown the most interest in him?

Well, it's a tie...

Cleveland and Minnesota.

Followed by Milwaukee and Toronto.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
I'd be in heaven if he went to the Sox.

Guess what team has shown the most interest in him?

Well, it's a tie...

Cleveland and Minnesota.

So is this your lovechild or something :P

Or did you just donate sperm back in your college days :D :ph34r:

I've been believing that also Jason that the Sox could take a chance on a 1st-2nd round talent that fell through in the 3rd. But then its a huge gamble, as we could end up without a 2nd and 3rd round pick if they decide not to sign. I would almost rather go after a great talent that falls way through the rounds and throw 800K at them like the Angels and Red Sox did with guys in last years draft while drafting a good talent that is signable in the early rounds.

So is this your lovechild or something 

Don't be so sure its not the truth, those Canadians can get frisky when they get to the heat in Texas. I've personally had to turn down 3 Canuck girls and a frisky snowman.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
I've been believing that also Jason that the Sox could take a chance on a 1st-2nd round talent that fell through in the 3rd. But then its a huge gamble, as we could end up without a 2nd and 3rd round pick if they decide not to sign. I would almost rather go after a great talent that falls way through the rounds and throw 800K at them like the Angels and Red Sox did with guys in last years draft while drafting a good talent that is signable in the early rounds.

Ya, I really liked the Angels plan. It looks like they had an awesome draft, especially if Ardenhart gets healthy and pitches like he could (he was UNC bounc IIRC, so I'm sure that bummed you out).

On a sidenote, as a UNC fan I'm guessing you've seen Devine pitch a few times (NCSU) and was gonna see if you thought he was worthy of going at 15? I know he's got a dynomite fastball and its a name that I haven't seen mentioned yet on the board (in terms of the Sox at least).

Of course Its not like the Sox to pay over slot money and they are giving guys like Timo and Davis a million bucks a piece to lounger around and stink. Plus if Kenny is given the choice you know damn well he'd rather spend an extra 2 mill on improvements to the current club than the draft (I can't say I'd blame him and If I recall I remember interviews saying this type of stuff was non-related with the Sox and JR has always done a nice job with the draft and making sure money was available). It could also be a recoup from last year where they spent a hefty amount.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:24 AM)
Don't be so sure its not the truth, those Canadians can get frisky when they get to the heat in Texas. I've personally had to turn down 3 Canuck girls and a frisky snowman.

:lolhitting:

Is that how that works? Those Canadian chicks get so hot down here that they have to... umm, nevermind...

:canada

I've seen Devine pitch quite a few times, but I definitely don't think he belongs in the first half ot he first round. I think he would be a good supplemental pick for a team, as he's got good stuff and has a funky arm angle. The arm angle might cause him injury problems in the future, that would worry me. But all around he's gonna be the quickest to the majors out of anyone in the draft in my opinion. He could help quite a few teams in baseball out of the pen right now. Sometimes his control wanes, but he would still get the outs as hitters would chase anything because they were so overmatched.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:59 AM)
Also very young, born on Dec 16, 1987

Good lord. He's my age. He'd be able to play a season of rookie league and a full season next year, and still only be 18 after 2 years in the minors. Hell, if he only progressed 1 level a year, he'd be 21 by the end of his 1st full year in AAA.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
A little more info on him is that he's the top rated Canadian player and is slotted by BA to go anywhere from the 2nd to 5th round.  Of course Visa problems have been an issue in where the Canadian players end up being drafted.  I remember reading therer were a few more visa's available this year due to a new temp program thats around. 

New legislation was passed changing the way Visas are issued this year and it alleviates the concern about not being able to get a Visa. INstead of handing them all out at one time, they now allow 2 six-month-spaced application periods, IIRC.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
Good lord.  He's my age.  He'd be able to play a season of rookie league and a full season next year, and still only be 18 after 2 years in the minors.  Hell, if he only progressed 1 level a year, he'd be 21 by the end of his 1st full year in AAA.

First player I have seen that is younger than me anywhere.

Damn, I'm getting old :crying