Officer Runs as Partner Is Shot

Texsox

NY Times Link

A surveillance video shows that the partner of a police officer who was shot three times during a car stop last week in Brooklyn ran away and, for several minutes, failed to help the wounded officer, a police official said yesterday.

The actions of the partner, Officer Gilberto T. Marrero, are under investigation by the Police Department's Firearms Discharge Review Board as part of its routine inquiry into the shooting, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is still under way.

Officer Marrero, a 12-year veteran, could face dismissal if the board concludes that he did flee while his partner was under fire and the department brings charges against him for dereliction of duty, the official said.

The wounded officer, Patrick Caprice, 42, was saved by his bulletproof vest when the gunman, armed with a .45-caliber pistol, fired at him five times, striking him three times in the vest, the police said. A bullet fragment from one of those rounds slipped beneath the protective fabric and pierced his small intestine, requiring surgery. A family friend said he remains hospitalized, but expects to be released on Thursday.

More about this "brave law enforcement officer" at link

Caprice (on awaking in the hospital): Hey, Gilby, I guess i made it. Thanks for getting my back, bro'.

Marrero: Uhhhh, uhmmm, ...err...

[Caprice's wiffe bends down and whispers in husband's ear...]

Caprice: HE f***ING DID WHAT???!?

That's gonna be one awkward moment. :)

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Caprice (on awaking in the hospital): Hey, Gilby, I guess i made it.  Thanks for taking gatting my back, bro'.

Marrero:  Uhhhh, uhmmm, ...err...

[Caprice's wiffe bends down and whispers in husband's ear...]

Caprice:  HE f***ING DID WHAT???!?

That's gonna be one awkward moment.  :)

:lolhitting :notworthy