shopping for a bicycle

LosMediasBlancas

My wife wants a bicycle.

Nothing top notch or professional, but nothing too cheap either.

We live on the Northside, any suggestions on where to get a decent deal? Any brands I should look for or avoid? How much can I expect to pay for a bike, helmet and lock total? Any other tips would be appreciated, thx guys.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
My wife wants a bicycle.

Nothing top notch or professional, but nothing too cheap either.

We live on the Northside, any suggestions on where to get a decent deal?   Any brands I should look for or avoid?  How much can I expect to pay for a bike, helmet and lock total?   Any other tips would be appreciated, thx guys.

i happen to work at sports authority and we have bikes, id say get a new one and try to pick the lowest price, best quality bike (if that makes sense), for the items your looking for you can expect to pay anywhere from 140-200, mongoose is always a good brand, or huffy, id say you take a look out for a bike called the mongoose placid, not too cheap and not too expensive

Womens or mens bike doesnt really make a hell of differene, only difference is that womens bike have lower frame sizes and more cushion on the seats

Edited by chi-guy2

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
i happen to work at sports authority and we have bikes, id say get a new one and try to pick the lowest price, best quality bike (if that makes sense), for the items your looking for you can expect to pay anywhere from 140-200,  mongoose is always a good brand, or huffy, id say you take a look out for a bike called the mongoose placid, not too cheap and not too expensive

Womens or mens bike doesnt really make a hell of differene, only difference is that womens bike have lower frame sizes and more cushion on the seats

WOW, even less than I thought. I was thinking $350.00 for everything. Which store do you work at?.......if you get comission from sales, we might go there.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
I just got a Huffy for my birthday. I love it. But I would recommend spending the extra $20 to buy a better seat. Anyway, love the Huffy.

Thx, why do women need more cushion on the bike seat? Don't women usually have more of their own cushioning? You'd think a man's bike would need it.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Thx, why do women need more cushion on the bike seat? Don't women usually have more of their own cushioning?  You'd think a man's bike would need it.

I have no idea, but before I got my gel seat it was not pleasant. I think our butt bones are sharper. :P

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Thx, why do women need more cushion on the bike seat? Don't women usually have more of their own cushioning?  You'd think a man's bike would need it.

Maybe it's just the females you hang out with..

Go to Village Cycle on Wells. They have a website www.villagecycle.com. You can print coupons and look for deals on last year's models and older. You can look at their inventory on-line. I bought a hybrid there a couple of years ago, and ride it almost everday. Only have had one problem with my chain popping off and they fixed it no questions asked. If you buy a bike there it usually comes with a couple of comp tune-ups.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Go to Village Cycle on Wells. They have a website www.villagecycle.com. You can print coupons and look for deals on last year's models and older. You can look at their inventory on-line. I bought a hybrid there a couple of years ago, and ride it almost everday. Only have had one problem with my chain popping off and they fixed it no questions asked. If you buy a bike there it usually comes with a couple of comp tune-ups.

THX, that's not too far from my job, I'll check it out.