List of Sox Draft Picks

Chisoxfn

Figured I'd make it easy for those just looking for a list. I'll be updating it and FS is already in the preliminary stages of writeups for all these guys. It will take us some time though, but I'll try and write up a minor highlight of the first day once its completed.

1. Lance Broadway – RHP – Texas Christian University (Winston-Salem)

3. Richard Brooks - RHP – East Carolina University

4. Christopher Getz - 2B/SS – University of Michigan (Great Falls)

5. Ryan Rote - RHP – Vanderbilt (Great Falls)

6. Aaron Cunningham – OF – Everett Community College (WA)

7. Daniel Cortes – RHP – Garey High School (CA)

8. Clayton Richard – LHP – University of Michigan (Great Falls)

9. Joseph Winn – RHP – Delgado College (LA)

10. Israel Chirino – LHP – University of Miami (Great Falls)

11. Jason Rice – RHP – Chaffey College (CA)

12. Sheldon Catchot – LHP – Delgado College (LA)

13. Yudelmis Hernandez – 1B – G Holmes Braddock HS (FL)

14. Derek Rodriguez – RHP – UNLV

15. Vernon (Vince) Carter – 3B – Sierra Vista HS (NV)

16. Alexander Woodson – LHP – Porterville College (CA)

17. Enrique Garcia – RHP – Potomac State CC (WV)

18. Timothy Sabo – RHP – Setan Hall University

19. Jordan Danks - OF - Round Rock HS (TX)

20. Joshua Morgan - OF - South Alabama

21. Raleigh Evans - LHP - Lake City CC (FL)

22. Christian Marrero - OF - Broward CC (FL)

23. Robert La Fromboise - LHP - Rio Hondo College (CA)

24. Tyler Wright - CF - Charlotte HS (FL)

25. Andrew Beatty - LHP - West Aurora HS (IL)

26. Anthony Carter - RHP - Georgia Perimeter Coll.

27. Danny Jordan - C - Broward CC (FL)

28. Justin Sincock - RHP - Golden West College (CA)

29. Aljay Davis - 2B - Northeastern OK A&M CC

30. Brad Langston - RHP - Cleveland State CC

31. Lucas Luetge - LHP - Bellville HS (TX)

32. Matthew Headley - LHP - San Jacinto Coll. North (TX)

33. Scott Savastano - SS - Plymouth-North-South HS (MA)

34. Timothy Day - RHP - Michigan State

35. Marcos Causey - OF - South Florida CC

36. Nate Templeton - RHP - Valley HS (IA)

37. Brian Flores - LHP - New Mexico JC

38. Enrique Escolano - RHP - Kell HS (GA)

39. Jovan Rosa - SS - East Hartford HS (CT)

40. Rafael Vera - 2B - Sarasota HS (FL)

41. Kristopher Welker - C - Univ. of Iowa (Bristol)

42. Michael Kelly - LHP - Lafayette HS (FL)

43. Michael Dunn - LHP - Mississippi State

44. Drew George - SS - Lower Columbia College (WA)

45. Cody Wright - LHP - No School (UT)

46. Brendon O'Donnell - CF - Santa Barbara CC

47. John Wolff - 2B - Harvard

48. Chris Cassidy - LHP - Claremont HS (CA)

49. Steven Squires - RHP - Wayne St. U

50. Kyle Landers - LHP - Nobelsville HS (IN)

Breakdown by Position

RHP: 16

LHP: 15

C: 2

1B: 1

2B: 4

SS: 3

3B: 1

OF: 7

By School

4 Year: 14

JUCO: 20

HS: 14

No school: 1

Edited by danman31

Question...

Last year on MLB.Com, you could go to the Draft Tracker web page, and usually MLB would have a little "blurb" scouting report. You can filter your choices to position, state, last name letter, etc.

What happened to it? I tried to look for it today, and all I could find was that Draft Caster. Am I looking in the wrong place???

Thanks.....

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
Question...

Last year on MLB.Com, you could go to the Draft Tracker web page, and usually MLB would have a little "blurb" scouting report.  You can filter your choices to position, state, last name letter, etc. 

What happened to it?  I tried to look for it today, and all I could find was that Draft Caster.  Am I looking in the wrong place???

Thanks.....

It was there yesterday but then I couldn't see it today. Run a search on there site for the draft tracker. By the way, welcome aboard :cheers

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
That shocks me too.  Our system really lacks position players, yet we drafted all pitchers.  Wow.

You can never have enough pitching, you know that. I think the Sox will go with a lot of position players in the later rounds looking for some guys to fill spots. Don't forget there is always the Dominican league grads who will be playing in rookie ball this year too.

From what I saw, Ryan Rote and Derek Rodriguez could be good late round picks. Rote looked to have some control issues, but good velocity on both his 2 seam fastball and 4 seam fastball, both of which were 94 MPH most of the time. He also had a slider/cutter that didn't break too much and was clocked at 86-87 MPH. Rodriguez had ok velocity, topping out at 90 MPH. He had pretty good control, and the break on his 2 seamer was unbelievable. His offspeed pitches also looked pretty good. He threw a good curve that broke well and usually went 76 MPH and a decent change that also went 76 MPH. Just my opinion (other than the speeds of course).

Jordan I went nuts without my BA subscription, so its very worth it to me. I've had it for 4-5 years and every year it runs out in early May, but this year I tried to go without it, and could only make it until late May. They have good information on tons and tons of players. But you can do without it other than draft time because people here post the team reports etc and even at draft time MLB.com sometimes gives good info for free on alot of players.

Even BA doesn't have scouting reports on probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the guys we drafted, I had to search all nooks and crannies for information on them, I just searched their community college website's for any stats and info I could find and it wasn't much. I did find some interesting info on the 1B we drafted Yuselmis(sp?) Hernandez on a wood bat association page.

BaseballAmerica has him listed as "Joey Fernandez", but I found this on Yudelmis Hernandez.

“Yuldelmis is a very big, strong young man with some serious juice in his bat. He has the long arms and long legs that create very good leverage to his swing and the strength to get the wood bat through the zone. Yuldemis could become a very strong man in the future if he works hard at it and make some ball fields look very small.”

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Jordan I went nuts without my BA subscription, so its very worth it to me. I've had it for 4-5 years and every year it runs out in early May, but this year I tried to go without it, and could only make it until late May. They have good information on tons and tons of players. But you can do without it other than draft time because people here post the team reports etc and even at draft time MLB.com sometimes gives good info for free on alot of players.

Even BA doesn't have scouting reports on probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the guys we drafted, I had to search all nooks and crannies for information on them, I just searched their community college website's for any stats and info I could find and it wasn't much. I did find some interesting info on the 1B we drafted Yuselmis(sp?) Hernandez on a wood bat association page.

Thanks, Palehouse. I actually picked one up today. I'm also thinking about registering to baseballamerica online.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../506090423/1006

"To know you are in the top half of the country is pretty exciting," Wright said. "The White Sox said they picked me as a draft-and-follow. I am going to play for South Florida Community College (Avon Park) next season and if things go right they will offer me money then. That is fine with me because I don't think I am ready for pro ball. I need time to get used to the more competitive pitching."

From the Tribune via San Jose Mercury News.. (They post the same stories an hour or two ahead of the Trib)

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/11868058.htm

White Sox sure they'll sign TCU pitcher soon

The White Sox vow to treat first-round draft pick Lance Broadway of Texas Christian with extra care as soon as he's signed, which could occur as early as next week.

"He threw 119 innings and had 159 strikeouts," scouting director Duane Shaffer said Friday. "He threw a lot of pitches.

"There were three or four games where he threw 135 pitches. Taking a week or two off isn't a bad thing."

The Sox also were believed close to signing seventh-round pick Daniel Cortes, a right-handed pitcher from Garey High School in Pomona, Calif.

Cortes signed a letter-of-intent with San Diego State, but Aztecs coach and Padres legend Tony Gwynn said he was aware that the Sox had made an offer that Cortes' family was pondering.

Shaffer also admitted the Sox are a long shot to sign 19th round pick Jordan Danks, a high school outfielder who has committed to Texas.

A little more info about Cortes from the Sun Times:

(Tony)Gwynn said that when Cortes signed his letter of intent, he was about 6-foot-2 and threw a fastball in the 88-mph range. He has since grown 2-2-1/2 inches and has added 5 mph in velocity since March. The former tight end at Garey High School in Pomona, Calif., has long fingers, according to Gwynn, allowing his fastball to whip out of his hand.