Now This is Some Heated Competition

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
Some sort of math finals are on ESPN 2, complete with commentators and everything.

So far, my favorite quote has been:

"The winner will win a scholarship, a trip to space camp in Alabama, and a computer!"

I'm getting a little tired of the garbage they're showing on ESPN. Spelling Bees, LPGA (I don't even like regular golf), juggling, poker (that's not a f***ing sport), tennis.

It's alright to cover these things on Sportscenter, but they don't need to air these things for hours.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
I'm getting a little tired of the garbage they're showing on ESPN.  Spelling Bees, LPGA (I don't even like regular golf), juggling, poker (that's not a f***ing sport), tennis.

It's alright to cover these things on Sportscenter, but they don't need to air these things for hours.

the spelling bee is highly entertaining.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I'm getting a little tired of the garbage they're showing on ESPN.  Spelling Bees, LPGA (I don't even like regular golf), juggling, poker (that's not a f***ing sport), tennis.

The most hilarious is when they used to show Magic:The Gathering tournaments on ESPN.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
At least the Spelling Bee is a well known commodity, and I'm fine with it being on ESPN2...Mathcounts finals, however...:|

Hey...I won my regional Mathcounts competition when I was a junior in high school.

They gave us these crazy "Don't Math with Me" pins.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
the spelling bee is highly entertaining.

I guess we just have different ideas of what is entertaining. It was fun to watch the replays of that kid passing out :P

Does that happen every year? The best I can figure is that all those kids are home schooled and they have no idea how to deal with any kind of pressure or that much social interaction.

I actually watched a little bit of the MathCounts contest w/ my friend while we were paying attention to the MLB draft online, and at one point I got 2 out of 3 right. My friend and I were laughing up a storm b/c the whole time we were watching I'd just been guessing and getting the answer wrong, and then I guessed on 2 and got those right. You kinda had to be there I guess, but it was pretty funny.

On a sidenote, I love how they call them "Mathletes"

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
The most hilarious is when they used to show Magic:The Gathering tournaments on ESPN.

they used to show those?

wow

I missed that

Maybe ESPN Classic can show them? lol

ahh MTG. good times good times.

I dont play anymore though

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
I actually watched a little bit of the MathCounts contest w/ my friend while we were paying attention to the MLB draft online, and at one point I got 2 out of 3 right.  My friend and I were laughing up a storm b/c the whole time we were watching I'd just been guessing and getting the answer wrong, and then I guessed on 2 and got those right.  You kinda had to be there I guess, but it was pretty funny.

On a sidenote, I love how they call them "Mathletes"

I guess I would have to be there.

Mathletes, lol

The great part about these obscure shows is it gives more fuel for "Cheap Seats" on ESPN Classic.... it's kind of like a MST3k with some of the ESPN/ABC catalog of stupid events they have televised.

I agree the spelling bee can be entertaining, but for me, not in the way they intend it to be. It gives off a real creepy vibe, especially when you hear about how some of these kids study like 6 hours a day or live with their coaches. Now when they show the Scrabble tournament and those misfits chose to be televised that's one thing, but when kids are being televised at an akward age it's a little odd... but I still laugh my ass off.

And yeah, if you want to see some seriously creepy dudes, watch if they ever show the Scrabble tournament again...

I like Cheap Seats.

Bring back the CFL on ESPN. My dad said it was a great excuse to get s***-faced.

I have yet to connect the dots on that one. I guess some dots are better left unconnected.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)

Blame the NHL lockout. They've been desperate to fill timeslots.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
So far, my favorite quote has been:

"The winner will win a scholarship, a trip to space camp in Alabama, and a computer!"

Back in high school, had I had a chance to win that (or actually win it), I would have been ecstatic. Heck, I think I still would be lol.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
Blame the NHL lockout. They've been desperate to fill timeslots.

The could have picked up the ECHL finals or the current AHL finals instead of spelling bees or mathbees (or whatever you want to call them).

:cheers to the Everblades, Wolves and Phantoms!

Hell some of the words they were having those kids try to spell I hadn't heard some of them...then when they gave the definition for them... I was thinking WTF would you use that word in a sentence when you could use other ones....they hurt my brain with all that thinking...hehe

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
I guess we just have different ideas of what is entertaining.  It was fun to watch the replays of that kid passing out :P

Does that happen every year?  The best I can figure is that all those kids are home schooled and they have no idea how to deal with any kind of pressure or that much social interaction.

Actually most home schoolers I know have more social interactions with a wider group of people than kids in regular schools. The home school groups are really well organized. Sports leagues, field trips, etc. Another plus is most curriculums are completed in about half a day, leaving the other half for interactions in the "real world".

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 07:35 AM)
Hell some of the words they were having those kids try to spell I hadn't heard some of them...then when they gave the definition for them... I was thinking WTF would you use that word in a sentence when you could use other ones....they hurt my brain with all that thinking...hehe

I needed a definition of some of the definitions.

I would agree with all of this thread if it was called SPN, the Sports Programming Network. But, it is called the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. I have realized that ESPN isn't about sports, it's about competition. That includes poker, spelling bees, CFL, Women's College Softball, Magic the Gathering, LPGA, and College Football. Even the And 1 Streetball series had competition.