Draft Day 2 Thread

danman31

The Sox have 32 picks in 32 rounds tomorrow. The 2nd day starts at 11:00 CST and the picks should fly.

I'm looking for the Sox to take a value/tough sign guy or 2 today because they didn't draft very aggressively in day 1. Typically it's the first 20 rounds or so that almot every player gets signed and after that it's less than half the guys sign. So it's worth taking a shot on some signability guys (ie college commits).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A local kid just got picked by the Indians in round 19. Timothy Dennehy, LHP, Oak Park-River Forest HS.

White Sox select Jordan Danks Round Rock HS! :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

f*** YEAH! Now we have to sign him. For those who didn't know, Danks is rated as a top prospect this draft (37 by BA) with major signability issues. He was committed to Texas. The Sox will try to throw some money at him to lure him away from college.

Guest JimH

Oops sorry I did not see the Day Two draft thread, posted about Danks in the 43 page manifesto from yesterday.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if they decide to throw large coin at this kid. What a coup it would be.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
A local kid just got picked by the Indians in round 19. Timothy Dennehy, LHP, Oak Park-River Forest HS.

White Sox select Jordan Danks Round Rock HS! :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

f*** YEAH! Now we have to sign him. For those who didn't know, Danks is rated as a top prospect this draft (37 by BA) with major signability issues. He was committed to Texas. The Sox will try to throw some money at him to lure him away from college.

So essentially just make a second round draft pick if things workout?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Oops sorry I did not see the Day Two draft thread, posted about Danks in the 43 page manifesto from yesterday.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if they decide to throw large coin at this kid.  What a coup it would be.

Yeah, I figured it would be easier to get a new thread make it easier to catch up. The Sox will have to throw major coin at him and they have to know that going in. The way their picks went earlier, it seems likely they are way under budget (or had an insanely low budget to begin with).

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Expect first to second round money, I'd say 7 figures, thrown at Danks.

You have any info or just speculating on what it will take to get him?

I think late-first to supplemental money...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
You have any info or just speculating on what it will take to get him?

I think late-first to supplemental money...

I think Danks would have been a mid to late first round pick if he didn't say he wanted to go to Texas. I'd throw 1.5 million at him and see what he does. I think the Sox can go a bit cheap this year with all the JC and CC players in the first 18 picks (6 of them).

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)

Dennehy is a top 5 round pick with signability issues this late... Can't recall his college commitment off the top of my head.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
I think Danks would have been a mid to late first round pick if he didn't say he wanted to go to Texas. I'd throw 1.5 million at him and see what he does. I think the Sox can go a bit cheap this year with all the JC and CC players in the first 18 picks (6 of them).

I think it's going to take 2nd-3rd round money to sign Cunningham or Cortez, but that's just a guess.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
I think it's going to take 2nd-3rd round money to sign Cunningham or Cortez, but that's just a guess.

I'm unsure Cortez will sign, but Cortez could be considered a fallback option if Danks doesn't sign.

Guest JimH

Danks sent a letter to all 30 teams saying do not draft me, I'm going to college. He has always wanted to play at Texas.

So ... I suspect the White Sox will have to throw huge money at him, like, higher than slot money based on his projected spot in the draft. Definitely high 1st round money. Just a guess on my part.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Danks sent a letter to all 30 teams saying do not draft me, I'm going to college.  He has always wanted to play at Texas.

So ... I suspect the White Sox will have to throw huge money at him, like, higher than slot money based on his projected spot in the draft.  Definitely high 1st round money.  Just a guess on my part.

I was thinking what position does he play, tool guy, power numbers?

That sort of thing.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
Well, c'mon fellas, tell me about Mr. Danks.

From BA:

Wednesday, 12:37 PM: White Sox Take 'Unsignable" Danks

by Alan Matthews

The White Sox are not likely to sign their 19th round pick, though if they did it would be quite the coup. Jordan Danks, a talented lefthanded-hitting outfielder from Round Rock (Texas) High, and his family informed teams about a month before the draft that he had intention of honoring his commitment to play for University of Texas.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Thanks.

After looking this guy up, it really appears he wants to be a Longhorn.  He said he vows to honor his commitment.  So, this seems like a long...long...long shot.

Money tends to open some eyes. Let's hope the Sox throw seven figures at him... Or, at least, that's what I hope.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)

Yes, it will be interesting to see if they decide to throw large coin at this kid.  What a coup it would be.

Oh man if they did this, wowzers is all I could say.