Draft Day 2 Thread

danman31

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

Lots of these junior college picks might be draft and follows. Again, not a bad approach. It gives the Sox another 12 months to monitor a player's progress.

I just realized that Isreal Chirino and Christian Marrero both went to the same HS that Gio went to, Monsignor Pace. I remember them being a national power. Chirino went there a few years ago and Marrero was on the team with Gio last year.

Round 25: Andrew Beatty, LHP, West Aurora HS

Local kid to the Sox. MLB.com scouting report:

Medium, athletic frame. Broad shoulders. Arm works easy. Strong lower half. Good body. Maintains arm speed w/occassional good depth, deception circle change. Effective to LHH and RHH. Around plate w/3 pitches from wind-up.

Another JC pitcher.

Round 26: Anthony Carter, RHP, Georgia Perimeter CC

Body similar to Kevin Brown. Athletic RHP w/quick, strong arm. FB arm side run, occassional cut life. Establishes FB, likes to work inside. Late, sharp break slider w/some tilt. Feel for straight change. Around plate w/all pitches. Arm strength w/projectable body.

Edited by danman31

Since when did we change into the Atlanta Braves? :P

Man, talk about stockpiling pitchers!

Another question for the Sox Draft Experts...besides the obvious answer (you can never have too much good pitching), why are the Sox not concentrating on more position players in the earlier rounds, and seem to be just concentrating on the pitchers?

Thanks.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Keith, they did what you wanted, pick a high profile guy who will be an extremely tough sign.  Let's hope it works out for the Sox.  Not a bad strategy with a 19th round pick.

I can't help it... Does he have the same upside and the same promise as Joe Borchard? Sorry couldn't help it. We got burned on giving borchard big money, we won't chase this guy.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
I can't help it... Does he have the same upside and the same promise as Joe Borchard? Sorry couldn't help it. We got burned on giving borchard big money, we won't chase this guy.

They wouldn't have picked him if they weren't going to bother negotiating and offer 7 figures.