Should the Sox pick up someone for 1b

beck72

With Ross Gload unable to play 1b for a while [not sure the time frame, but seeing how he couldn't even throw, we're talking weeks not days], the Sox will need someone to play 1b to give PK some time off. The in house candidates would have to be Greg Norton from AAA and Rogowski from AA.

Looking via the trade route, for a good field, LH hitting option, some names come to mind from teams out of it. Travis Lee from TB. Raul Ibanez, though, IIRC, he has another yr on his contract. Few other names jump out at me.

With Everett likely to be traded to give Frank his AB's, someone to play 1b who hits from the left side, and has some pop would be a nice addition. Maybe someoe who can play a position besides 1b would be good pick up, to give the Sox flexibility in moving people around the lineup.

Any ideas/ names?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
BTW I just wanted to throw this out the for the reactions... Since Paul Konerko got his two days off while Timo played first, Pauly is hitting .368 with 2 Hrs, 3 RBI, .478 OBP, 1.215 OPS, .737 SLG.

Maybe Timo should play third for a day to!

Guest JimH

beck, in answer to your question ...

I do not see Everett as likely to being traded. He is a big part of the chemistry and Guillen and KW have repeatedly said how important that is. This board underrates it but the players themselves have said how important fit is right now.

Personally I think they're hoping Thomas will be the backup 1B. Mackowiak is a perfect fit in terms of lefty bat, plays multiple positions, etc. but he may not be available.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
BTW I just wanted to throw this out the for the reactions... Since Paul Konerko got his two days off while Timo played first, Pauly is hitting .368 with 2 Hrs, 3 RBI, .478 OBP, 1.215 OPS, .737 SLG.

I think PK would be helped by some time off. Last year, Gload was able to come into games late, pinch run, put PK to Dh, or sit for a day. This year, PK hasn't been able to get that time off.

I'm not saying Timo is the answer. But the guy needs a backup

Guest JimH

Two days off is huge, especially with Guillen talking about the grind of Aug. and Sept. when the Sox have very few days off.

I am not shocked if you do not see Ross Gload back at all this year, and they pick somebody else up for prospects. A true multipurpose player like Mackowiak would be great for this team and it would allow guys to get two days off in a row without missing a beat in the lineup.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
Personally I think they're hoping Thomas will be the backup 1B.  Mackowiak is a perfect fit in terms of lefty bat, plays multiple positions, etc. but he may not be available.

I think the Sox desperately want guys like CArl and Frank to be more than DH's. I just don't see that happening with either, esp. if the sox are relying on their defense to win them some games.

Right now, the sox will be counting on PK to play the next month with out any days off.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
beck, in answer to your question ...

I do not see Everett as likely to being traded.  He is a big part of the chemistry and Guillen and KW have repeatedly said how important that is.  This board underrates it but the players themselves have said how important fit is right now.

Personally I think they're hoping Thomas will be the backup 1B.  Mackowiak is a perfect fit in terms of lefty bat, plays multiple positions, etc. but he may not be available.

The only thing I worry about is the last few injuries with Frank have been a direct corelation with him in the field. I think we need to go and get someone to be the backup.

We cant expect Konerko to be an ironman out there.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Two days off is huge, especially with Guillen talking about the grind of Aug. and Sept. when the Sox have very few days off.

I am not shocked if you do not see Ross Gload back at all this year, and they pick somebody else up for prospects.  A true multipurpose player like Mackowiak would be great for this team and it would allow guys to get two days off in a row without missing a beat in the lineup.

That really worries me... gload really had to of done something bad that the orginization does not like. Like cheat has said before gload is the sox version of jared reiner. Only difference is gload is actually good and produced some what in the majors. As it stands we don't have a legitimate back up first baseman on this team. So how the hell does ozzie expect to keep konerko rested for the entire year? His silly ozuna, widger, timo options are not comforting.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
That really worries me... gload really had to of done something bad that the orginization does not like. Like cheat has said before gload is the sox version of jared reiner. Only difference is gload is actually good and produced some what in the majors. As it stands we don't have a legitimate back up first baseman on this team. So how the hell does ozzie expect to keep konerko rested for the entire year? His silly ozuna, widger, timo options are not comforting.

I think Jim is eluding to the fact that he is pretty seriously hurt. The only reason he wasn't called up already is because he shoulder was still so bad that he couldn't throw from the OF. If he is even worse now, I get the feeling he might need surgery or a long rest.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)

I don't think it has anything to do with Gload not being liked. He played 1b for the first time and now needs to be shut down for awhile. His throwing arm/ shoulder is hurt

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
The only thing I worry about is the last few injuries with Frank have been a direct corelation with him in the field.  I think we need to go and get someone to be the backup. 

That's exactly my worry with Frank as well. Everett isn't a great fielder, but he's not going to end up on the DL if he plays outfield every few days. Frank on the other hand seems to end up on the DL for months every time he's in the field.

I've been as opposed to this team making a deal as anyone around here, but if Gload cannot play first base, and we don't have anyone else who is big-league ready to play first, then we are going to need to find someone else. What Happens if Paulie gets hit by a pitch or something and can't continue in the game? (Or twists an ankle running).

Can anyone name any people out there who can play both first base and the outfield or first base and the middle infield who we could grab as backups? Even if they're not that good with the bat, it would just be very nice to have someone who isn't a defensive liability there.

(You'll also note that I think it's a good idea if the person can play more than 1 position, thereby giving a strong suggestion as to who he could replace on the roster).

Guest JimH

Gload does indeed have a bad shoulder, it was bothering him big time in Tucson and when a shoulder hurts that bad it's easy to re-injure it on a throw.

Not for one second do I buy these conspiracy theories floated on this board about Gload's injury being a phantom and favorites being played by Guillen. Guillen likes Gload a lot, he was the guy who gave Gload the big break last year. I suspect he's not happy at all having no legit 1B backup ... he said himself it was a choice between Widger, Dye, Perez. I thought Widger would be the best but I can understand not wanting both your catchers on the field on the same day. Why screw around with Dye when he was having enough problems with the bat.

This is on KW. They need a more versatile bench.

Guest JimH
I thought of another name--Tony G. while he doesn't hit lefty, he's versatile enough to play 1b and other spots. With the sox pinch hitting numbers some of the worst in baseball. Tony could help with that as well

I still think that's a pipedream. The two teams haven't traded with one another since 1987.

Guest JimH
The only thing I worry about is the last few injuries with Frank have been a direct corelation with him in the field.  I think we need to go and get someone to be the backup. 

We cant expect Konerko to be an ironman out there.

The triceps injury was from playing in the field, but the ankle thing? I thought he hurt that running the bases.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
I still think that's a pipedream.  The two teams haven't traded with one another since 1987.

There have been many trades between teams in the same division in recent years. Esp seeing how far back KC is and how much young talent they need to rebuild

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
I know this isn't a realistic answer, but what is Nick Johnson's contract status?  Is he signed for longer than this year?  He'd look good in a Sox uniform.

He is signed to a 1 year 1.45 million dollar deal now and is a free agent in 2006-2007.