Should the Sox pick up someone for 1b

beck72

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
The triceps injury was from playing in the field, but the ankle thing?  I thought he hurt that running the bases.

I thought the ankle thing was from playing the field...

In fact, I found the article that tells me for sure.

"Thomas fractured the navicular bone in his left ankle on June 17 of last season, while fielding a ground ball hit by Juan Pierre during a contest in Florida."

From the Sun-Times, June 6th:

Frank Thomas might be playing some first base in the coming week of interleague play, like it or not.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen doesn't like the idea of Thomas sitting for a week after just returning from his long injury layoff. Even though Thomas said Saturday he doesn't feel mobile enough to play first, Guillen believes Thomas would make the attempt to help the team.

"If we play him in the field, it's because we need him,'' Guillen said Sunday. ''I think Frank is willing to do what we think is good for the team. He knows what we want to do here. It's all about winning. I don't want him to sit for six days. That's why it's hard for us to play in the National League.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-toni06.html

How about Vizcaino from the Astros? They have Mike Lamb and Todd Self who are playing first now and Berkman for the future. He's a switch hitter who can play all the infield positions.

Or J.T. Snow from the Giants. They have Feliz, who could play 1B and Lance Niekro. He's a LHH who can only play first, but he would be a great late inning defensive replacement and a doubles hitter.

We dont need another starting 1B, Everett wont be traded because we wont get anything of value, and Konerko will not sit many games. With that said, if its to the point where you really need a back up 1b, we have options on our 40 man roster including Rogo and Burke. So there is absolutley no need to trade for someone just in case our starting 1B needs a days rest, thats just amateur and f***ing xbox worthy.

Once Frank is healthy it's hard to believe he'll be out of the lineup often.

Everett is likely to be traded for prospects or possibly a prospect along with either a 4th OF or a RP.

Thomas will not be playing the field this year, and with Gload injured we need a backup for Kong not named Timo.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing what happens with Josh Phelps. Tampa designated him for assignment, if he has to clear waivers I would claim him. I don't think it would take anything of value to pick him up, and he could back up Kong at 1B and Frank at DH.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Once Frank is healthy it's hard to believe he'll be out of the lineup often.

Everett is likely to be traded for prospects or possibly a prospect along with either a 4th OF or a RP.

Thomas will not be playing the field this year, and with Gload injured we need a backup for Kong not named Timo.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing what happens with Josh Phelps. Tampa designated him for assignment, if he has to clear waivers I would claim him. I don't think it would take anything of value to pick him up, and he could back up Kong at 1B and Frank at DH.

How do you claim that Everett is likely to be traded??? And why trade a good bat for a prospect when you are in a pennant race?? Gload wasnt up on the roster anyway, plus there are other players on the 40 man that can play 1B. How do you explain that trading someone just for a backup when we have backups in our system is a good idea?

QUOTE(shakes @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Can't Crede spell PK at first occasionally. At least, until we find a backup. It's a fairly smooth transition from 3rd to 1st. Or is it too much since he's our third string SS.

When Healthy PK plays about 155 games a year lets say. So you are calling for a trade so we can have someone play 7 games!!!!

:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
How do you claim that Everett is likely to be traded???  And why trade a good bat for a prospect when you are in a pennant race?? Gload wasnt up on the roster anyway, plus there are other players on the 40 man that can play 1B.  How do you explain that trading someone just for a backup when we have backups in our system is a good idea?

Maybe because several sources have already indicated Kenny has started working on a deal?

I like Carl, but he will not be happy as a platoon player spot-resting Dye, Podsednik, and Frank.

There are other men on the 40 that can play 1b? Really? Then Timo was put there why? Kenny is not going to take at-bats from Rogo to bring him up just to back up Kong.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
When Healthy PK plays about 155 games a year lets say.  So you are calling for a trade so we can have someone play 7 games!!!!

:bang  :bang  :bang  :bang  :bang  :bang  :bang

I'm not calling for a trade, but many people seem to be. I'm saying for the few games a year PK needs off, why can't Crede move over?

If Crede keeps struggling, I don't think a trade with Cincy is out of the question. The salaries match up well for Randa.

Everett will likely be traded. Whether its for a current starter's replacement, or a backup piece that fits better/prospects remains to be seen.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Maybe because several sources have already indicated Kenny has started working on a deal?

I like Carl, but he will not be happy as a platoon player spot-resting Dye, Podsednik, and Frank.

There are other men on the 40 that can play 1b? Really? Then Timo was put there why? Kenny is not going to take at-bats from Rogo to bring him up just to back up Kong.

I willl address your points 1 at a time.

1. Several sources have indicated that Kenny will trade Carl-The tribune, which holds alot of weight since they mentioned the cubs trading for Urbina, Dotel, and missed the trade with Latroy. They also mentioned the sox getting Chavez. These sources also mentioned trading Thomas which would never happen with his 12 million dollar option.

2. Carl and KW have been quoted saying that Carl doesnt care about playing time as much as he cares about winning and getting a ring, same for Frank.

3. Yes, there are, this is exactly why nobody knows why Timo was started there, and why alot of people question the man-love between Ozzie and Timo. And if you think bringing someone up to back up Kong is ridiculous, try interjecting trading someone for that same reason on for size, and you will find that an even worse idea.

QUOTE(shakes @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
I'm not calling for a trade, but many people seem to be. I'm saying for the few games a year PK needs off, why can't Crede move over?

There's a recipe for success: Have Crede suck ass at multiple positions.

:bang

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
When Healthy PK plays about 155 games a year lets say.  So you are calling for a trade so we can have someone play 7 games!!!!

Well, PK played 155 games last year, but he only started at 1st in 137 of them. The rest he either DHed or pinch hit.

That leaves a few more than 7 games to fill in based on that number. Most he's ever played in teh field is 144.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Everett will likely be traded. Whether its for a current starter's replacement, or a backup piece that fits better/prospects remains to be seen.

Who are these phantom trading partners that value an aging DH that are willing to part with a starter or a quality back-up?? And it definatley does not make sense for us to trade for prospects in the middle of a title chase. Defend your claim of Carl is likely to be traded and please mention something of value that we can get in exchange for him, because your claims are unfounded.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Well, PK played 155 games last year, but he only started at 1st in 137 of them.  The rest he either DHed or pinch hit.

That leaves a few more than 7 games to fill in based on that number.  Most he's ever played in teh field is 144.

Alot of his DH-ing was due to having our DH injured, and to get some at-bats for his backup who was also swinging a hot bat.

"try interjecting trading someone for that same reason on for size, and you will find that an even worse idea."

If you bothered to read, I am not advocating trading Everett for a backup 1B. My very first post alluded to the point I'd like to either claim Phelps off waivers outright or trade some B level prospect to Tampa for him.

If we trade Everett, it will be for

1. A replacement starter such as Randa

2. A reliable RP and possibly a prospect

3. A 4th OF and a prospect.

I don't buy the Ozzie/Timo bulls***. I don't expect we'll ever see Timo at 1B again.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Alot of his DH-ing was due to having our DH injured, and to get some at-bats for his backup who was also swinging a hot bat.

Yes, but playing DH also gives a guy a break from fielding, thereby keeping him more rested.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
Who are these phantom trading partners that value an aging DH that are willing to part with a starter or a quality back-up??  And it definatley does not make sense for us to trade for prospects in the middle of a title chase.  Defend your claim of Carl is likely to be traded and please mention something of value that we can get in exchange for him, because your claims are unfounded.

My claims are unfounded? They aren't claims jackass, it's an opinion, same as yours. Unless you'd like to take this moment to claim you and KW are drinking buddies and he tells youeverything he is planning?

:bang

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)

It's not so much as to give PK the day off. It's to give this team the option at 1B. Last Sunday, PK led off the 8th inning of a tie game with a base hit. Instead of having the option of pinch running for PK and bunting the next hitter, Ozzie was forced to keep PK in the game and let the next hitter hit away. It's situations like this that has Ozzie handcuffed right now. Not to mention, when PK actually needs to the day off, we aren't replacing our best power threat with our worst hitter (Timo). If Gload is unable to go for 2 months then, KW should go out and get a player to take Ross's spot, and get rid of Timo.

Edited by sircaffey