Should the Sox pick up someone for 1b

beck72

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Maybe because several sources have already indicated Kenny has started working on a deal?

The articles I read were only speculation. Has KW actually made statements to this effect? Ozzie said there aren't any trades in the works.

"Deals are up to [general manager] Kenny [Williams],'' Guillen said. "But I've always told him, 'Don't just bring a player here unless he plays the way we play.' I don't want a superstar just for the fans to get excited. These are the 25 guys we have. Nobody's going to get traded from here yet. We're not talking about any trades yet.''

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
"try interjecting trading someone for that same reason on for size, and you will find that an even worse idea."

If you bothered to read, I am not advocating trading Everett for a backup 1B. My very first post alluded to the point I'd like to either claim Phelps off waivers outright or trade some B level prospect to Tampa for him.

If we trade Everett, it will be for

1. A replacement starter such as Randa

2. A reliable RP and possibly a prospect

3. A 4th OF and a prospect.

I don't buy the Ozzie/Timo bulls***. I don't expect we'll ever see Timo at 1B again.

Ok, so you think that Cincy would be interested in an aging DH, especially when they play in the national league and already have too many OF'ers??

You still havent given the teams that would trade what for what, trade Everett for a reliable RP, who? Why would we need another OF when we already have too many?

Maybe claiming a player off waivers is a good idea, but then who would we send down to make room for him?

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
The articles I read were only speculation. Has KW actually made statements to this effect? Ozzie said there aren't any trades in the works.

KW isn't about to call a press conference and announce who he's talking to and for what. We won't know until it actually happens.

As for Ozzie, I HIGHLY doubt that he is privy to everything KW does.

The thing I find most funny is that I say it will be "likely" and that "if we trade Everett". But I'm making claims.

Meanwhile, RR shouts to the world that Everett WILL NOT be traded and anyone who disagrees is stupid.

Yeah, that makes sense

:lol:

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
It's not so much as to give PK the day off.  It's to give this team the option at 1B.  Last Sunday, PK led off the 8th inning of a tie game with a base hit.  Instead of having the option of pinch running for PK and bunting the next hitter, Ozzie was forced to keep PK in the game and let the next hitter hit away.  It's situations like this that has Ozzie handcuffed right now.  Not to mention, when PK actually needs to the day off, we aren't replacing our best power threat with our worst hitter (Timo).  If Gload is unable to go for 2 months then, KW should go out and get a player to take Ross's spot, and get rid of Timo.

So in that situation we need a player to spell PK for an inning or two in his position after he has been pitch run for, that the situation where we would like to have more options than Ozuna or Timo, but at this juncture, just to make a move for that situation doesnt make much sense. All you can do with the best record in the MLB is wait for Gload to be ready.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
Ok, so you think that Cincy would be interested in an aging DH, especially when they play in the national league and already have too many OF'ers??

You still havent given the teams that would trade what for what, trade Everett for a reliable RP, who?  Why would we need another OF when we already have too many?

Maybe claiming a player off waivers is a good idea, but then who would we send down to make room for him?

Take a deep breath. Cincy has all but given up on Kearns. He is their Joe Borchard. Griffey is an injury waiting to happen. Dunn and Pena are their other 2 OFs, and there has been talk they would trade Dunn if they could get quality arms in return. Everett can play corner OF. He is not just a DH.

I don't know who the other teams are that would be interested, nor do I much care. I owe you nothing. Who are the teams that aren't interested, andyou must prove it. Who have you talked to? What GM has told you they aren't interested in Everett?

Silly to ask such things, isn't it?

You don't think he'll be traded. Fine. In less than 2 months we'll know who was right.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)

The thing I find most funny is that I say it will be "likely" and that "if we trade Everett". But I'm making claims.

Meanwhile, RR shouts to the world that Everett WILL NOT be traded and anyone who disagrees is stupid.

Im sure Ozzie has input as to what he needs especially since they built the team the way he wanted it to be built. You were throwing out trade ideas like Everett for this, and for that, and you couldnt say anything specifically that made sense and I called you out on it, dont get all crabby about it.

I would LOVE to trade Everett for a position player who would help the team out, fact is, not many teams would value him at this point especially when he is basically only a DH. Secondly he is important to the chemistry of this team which has notched us at least 10 wins, and being that we have the best record and our nearest competition is right behind us, messing with that just to move someone is not a good idea IMHO.

:cheers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
So in that situation we need a player to spell PK for an inning or two in his position after he has been pitch run for, that the situation where we would like to have more options than Ozuna or Timo, but at this juncture, just to make a move for that situation doesnt make much sense.  All you can do with the best record in the MLB is wait for Gload to be ready.

That situation isn't the only reason why a trade would be beneficial. Can Gload even come back a 100%? We don't know. To wait around to see IF he can, is a mistake. Picking up a 1B/OF/3B type wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. As long as that player is better than Timo, which is so hard, we improve the team. Great teams have great depth. PK isnt superman.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
You were throwing out trade ideas like Everett for this, and for that, and you couldnt say anything specifically that made sense and I called you out on it, dont get all crabby about it. 

Oh no. Trade ideas. And I don't have any GMs telling me they are or aren't interested.

Horrors.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
That situation isn't the only reason why a trade would be beneficial.  Can Gload even come back a 100%?  We don't know.  To wait around to see IF he can, is a mistake. Picking up a 1B/OF/3B type wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.  As long as that player is better than Timo, which is so hard, we improve the team.  Great teams have great depth.  PK isnt superman.

It would be extremely nice to pick up a player that could spell in those spots, but we would have to give up something for a player that versatile, and would it be worth it to us, possibly. You also have to make sure we dont make a move that alters the team's make up, as I said before KW and Ozzie said that Carl is a large part of the positive attitude on this team, and at this point, we are still the best team. If we continue with this record until the rosters expand, then we wouldnt need to make a move at all in my opinion.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
KW isn't about to call a press conference and announce who he's talking to and for what. We won't know until it actually happens.

Yeah, that makes sense

With all due respect, please leave me out of your conversation with Rock Raines.

I was questioning your post which said "...several sources have already indicated Kenny has started working on a deal."

If by "indicated" you mean "speculated," then I've read those articles myself, and I take them with a grain of salt. If you know of KW actually stating a deal is in the works, please provide that info as I'd be interested in reading it.

Yes, I'm sure Ozzie doesn't involve himself much with KW's business, but I'll take his word before that of a sportswriter.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
It would be extremely nice to pick up a player that could spell in those spots, but we would have to give up something for a player that versatile, and would it be worth it to us, possibly.  You also have to make sure we dont make a move that alters the team's make up, as I said before KW and Ozzie said that Carl is a large part of the positive attitude on this team, and at this point, we are still the best team.  If we continue with this record until the rosters expand, then we wouldnt need to make a move at all in my opinion.

You can't continue to ignore a weakness just because a player is a good teammate. Timo isn't performing. Should we waste a roster spot just because he's liked? I would hope that replacing the last player on this roster wouldn't distrupt team chemistry. I would hope this team isn't that fragile...

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
You can't continue to ignore a weakness just because a player is a good teammate.  Timo isn't performing.  Should we waste a roster spot just because he's liked?  I would hope that replacing the last player on this roster wouldn't distrupt team chemistry.  I would hope this team isn't that fragile...

The weakness really only cost us one play and ultimately 1 game. There are more pressing issues on the team such as bullpen help, that could be addressed before this issue. Timo in that spot is terrible, actually any spot, and I think we should have sent him down awhile ago, I think that we have players down there who could play 1B and OF better than Timo.

Im also not saying that the team is fragile, but unloading someone who is a leader on the team-and he is if you read the article about the K-court, they elected him as the judge and KW and Ozzie and Pk have said he is a leader in the clubhouse-may have a negative impact.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Im also not saying that the team is fragile, but unloading someone who is a leader on the team-and he is if you read the article about the K-court, they elected him as the judge and KW and Ozzie and Pk have said he is a leader in the clubhouse-may have a negative impact.

Oh, I'm not talking about trading Carl. I definitely think we should keep Carl. I don't think it would take Carl to pick up a backup corner IF...Carl's very important to the team both in the clubhouse and off the bench. Without him, we have no one off the bench that strikes any fear in opposing pitchers and coaches. Having Carl on the bench available for pinch hitting with forced managers to manage differently than if Pablo and Timo were the #1 hitters off the bench.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Oh, I'm not talking about trading Carl.  I definitely think we should keep Carl.  I don't think it would take Carl to pick up a backup corner IF...Carl's very important to the team both in the clubhouse and off the bench.  Without him, we have no one off the bench that strikes any fear in opposing pitchers and coaches.  Having Carl on the bench available for pinch hitting with forced managers to manage differently than if Pablo and Timo were the #1 hitters off the bench.

Completely agree, if you mean replacing Timo with someone who can play the corner spots and OF then I agree totally. Works over, Im out, lets hope for a sweep tonight!!!! :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

Guest JimH

Addressing several points in one post here ...

Ozzie has a lot of input, he and KW work as a team. They are always talking and KW asks Ozzie what he needs.

KW may be laying groundwork for a trade but all GM's do that, it is called keeping their options open. They know trading Everett is a risk to team chemistry, plus he is a dangerous bat. He may ultimately get traded, who knows, but they certainly won't just dump him. His value to this team is way more important than any prospect they'd get or even any role player (looking from a 2005 perspective).

If they bring someone in I suspect it will be an addition, meaning prospects going the other way. Do not want to keep bringing up Mackowiak but he is a good example ... playing for a non contending team that needs prospects. He fits the profile, can play OF, 1B, 2B, 3B, lefthanded bat.

Josh Phelps ... he can hit but he's right handed and is weak defensively but certainly he's an intriguing player.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)

Agreed. Everett is not only a leader, but I believe he's the most veteran player after Frank. Carl is worth a lot more to the Sox than to a team that's rebuilding, and I can't think of any contender that would trade for him this far from the deadline. He hasn't been tearing up the league, but his bat has been adequately dependable. I don't think Everett or Thomas are going anywhere, but stranger things have happened. The Sox need both of their bats, and I hope they stay the whole season.

Edited by nvxplorer

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Why would we trade Joe Crede for Joe Crede Sr.??(Randa) Making trades for the sake of trades are only fantasies of arm chair GM's who chat on message boards.

because randa is better than joe will ever be.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
Agreed. Everett is not only a leader, but I believe he's the most veteran player after Frank. Carl is worth a lot more to the Sox than to a team that's rebuilding, and I can't think of any contender that would trade for him this far from the deadline. He hasn't been tearing up the league, but his bat has been adequately dependable. I don't think Everett or Thomas are going anywhere, but stranger things have happened. The Sox need both of their bats, and I hope they stay the whole season.

I can think of at least one contender that should be interested in bat like Everett .... Atlanta. They are in desperate need of a hitter of Carl's quality and would probably overlook his defensive faults to add his stick. If the Braves don't have the matchups needed to help the Sox, a deal could always include a third team.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
How about Vizcaino from the Astros?  They have Mike Lamb and Todd Self who are playing first now and Berkman for the future.  He's a switch hitter who can play all the infield positions.

Or J.T. Snow from the Giants.  They have Feliz, who could play 1B and Lance Niekro.  He's a LHH who can only play first, but he would be a great late inning defensive replacement and a doubles hitter.

I thought of Snow too. But I don't see SF trading away any of its players with Bonds probably due back. They are in win now mode, as trading two young pitchers for Hawkins shows. Gload might be back before the deadline, which is where SF will probably wait until making any moves

Vizcaino is a good name. Certainly not "Arod", but a doable guy who could fit.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
I know this isn't a realistic answer, but what is Nick Johnson's contract status?  Is he signed for longer than this year?  He'd look good in a Sox uniform.

Why would a first place team trade one of their best, cheap players?

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
What about Joe Crede in a pinch?  He already plays one hot corner anyway.  In a pinch, throw Pablo at 3rd, Uribe at SS, Gooch @ 2nb and Crede @ 1b.  DH would be Thomas.

Or maybe the point is moot. :chair

I would have perfered Crede at 1B, but I think we need to leave him at 3B so he can get his bat figured out. It makes more sense than alot of the possible other options people have broughten up.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
I can think of at least one contender that should be interested in bat like Everett .... Atlanta. They are in desperate need of a hitter of Carl's quality and would probably overlook his defensive faults to add his stick.  If the Braves don't have the matchups needed to help the Sox, a deal could always include a third team.

Modesi and Jordan arn't the answers, the kids they brought up arn't the answer. Chipper Jones could be on the DL for awhile. I am sure they would love him. I cannot see getting anyone who could help us this year though, as they have two starting pitchers hurt, a terrible bullpen (interest in Vizcaino or Takatsu in addition? haha), their 3B is hurt, the SS and 2B are struggling, their catcher isn't having the same year...so I could see it not even being for AAA kids if we dealt with them.