• Abreu making strong All-Star push

• Phillies sign first pick Costanzo

• Phils select third baseman Costanzo

• Phillies pleased with Day 1 picks

• Abreu helps Phillies fly past Rangers

• More Phillies Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page

Veteran relief pitcher Ugueth Urbina and infielder Ramon Martinez were acquired by the Phillies from the Detroit Tigers in exchange for infielder Placido Polanco, General Manager Ed Wade announced today.

Urbina, 31, has a 1-3 record and 2.63 ERA in 25 games. Over his last 10 outings (10 innings), he hasn't allowed a run and he has recorded six saves. The right-hander has fanned 18 batters in 15 innings over his last 13 outings. Over his last 12 appearances, the Tigers are 12-0.

Martinez, 32, is hitting .268 in 19 games, including 15 starts. He has played shortstop, third base, second base and first base. Martinez is a right-handed hitter.

"Urbina is a quality relief pitcher who gives us depth on a key part of our club," said Wade. "He's pitched on a championship team and can pitch effectively in tight situations. Adding him to the back end of the bullpen with Rheal Cormier, Ryan Madson and Billy Wagner gives us one more strong piece at the end of games.

"Martinez is a player who we have liked since his days in San Francisco. He should be able to move in and help our infield depth.

"We hated to trade 'Polly.' He is a professional, winning player and a tremendous person. He will be missed in our clubhouse. But we knew that there was a lot of interest in Urbina and we had to pay a steep price to get him," added Wade.

Urbina, a two-time All-Star, has played 11 years in the majors with the Montreal Expos, Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers, Florida Marlins and the Tigers. He's appeared in the post-season with the World Champion Marlins in 2003, saving four games and winning one.

For 527 career appearances, Urbina has a 40-46 record, 3.39 ERA and 236 saves, ninth among active pitchers.

Martinez, who was born in Philadelphia, PA, on October 10, 1972, has been in the majors since 1998 with the San Francisco Giants, Chicago Cubs and Tigers. He is a career .268 hitter.

Both Urbina (3/29/04) and Martinez (1/5/05) were signed as free agents by the Tigers

Veteran relief pitcher Ugueth Urbina and infielder Ramon Martinez were acquired by the Phillies from the Detroit Tigers in exchange for infielder Placido Polanco, General Manager Ed Wade announced today.

Link http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_r...t=.jsp&c_id=phi

whoops can someone change the topic to traded by Phils, sorry

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Does this mean Wagner will be able to be moved???

I think this means the Phils realized their bullpen was costing them games, and that they needed another reliever to stay in the hunt in the tough NL East.

Which means, no, Wagner will not be moved.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
I think this means the Phils realized their bullpen was costing them games, and that they needed another reliever to stay in the hunt in the tough NL East.

Which means, no, Wagner will not be moved.

There is still plenty of time for them to fall ten games back. I highly doubt we get him but it is not out of question just tet, in my opinion anyway.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
There is still plenty of time for them to fall ten games back. I highly doubt we get him but it is not out of question just tet, in my opinion anyway.

The Phillies have choked and sucked out loud the last few years, I have no doubts that they will do it again this year. Having said that, there will be more than a few teams looking for a veteran closer at the deadline, so I don't think we'll get him anyway.

EDIT: Qwerty, who is that in your avatar?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
The Phillies have choked and sucked out loud the last few years, I have no doubts that they will do it again this year.  Having said that, there will be more than a few teams looking for a veteran closer at the deadline, so I don't think we'll get him anyway.

EDIT:  Qwerty, who is that in your avatar?

A pimp that goes by the name of scott skiles.

This is part of the Phils long term plan to corner the market on expensive 1-inning relievers. At the trade deadline, when a team says, gosh, we really need an expensive 1-inning relief pitcher, they'll have nowhere else to go.

And considering the players the Phils keep going after, they'll probably want Royce Ring in return.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
At least you Polanco-enthusiasts will get to see your collective man-crush 10+ times a season.

I'm just glad some of the Polanco talk can be put to rest. I just remember how many threads there was regarding him in the offseason.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
The dream is dead. No Polanco for us. :(

Wow, the Tigers are trying to lure fans in and get some attention towards them aside from the fact they will have the all-star game in their park.

Wagner will remain the closer with the Phillies and Uggy will be the setup man

Me personally, I would rather have Chase Utley than Polanco cause Utley is a good power hitter who also hits for avg (just like Polanco)(*you can check his stats if you dont believe me) and he can also play a few positions (2nd and 1st) >which could have given konerko a break at first, and finally... Utley is cheaper than Polanco.

That is my opinion. :D

Edited by Ozzie Montana

The Phils really needed bullpen help, but they'll miss Polanco, I think. I don't know what Detroit needs with Polanco. It doesn't give them any prospects for the future, which is what you should be looking for when you're in 4th place after Memorial Day.

Oh, and having David Bell play everyday is a very, very bad thing. As rotoworld said, this is a pretty dumb trade for both teams.