The Erstad collision compared to the Burke one.

wilmot825

I saw the replays and I thought Erstad had the right to plow Estrada because Estrada had his leg blocking the corner of the plate. When Tori "F-ing" Hunter plowed Jamie Burke, Burke was not anywhere near the plate and Hunter trucked his ass. I terms of impact, which was a harder hit; Erstad on Estrada or Hunter on Burke?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:36 PM)
Hunter on Burke.

Yep. Even though I hate the twinkies, I actually used to have respect for Torri Hunter. After that happened, I can't even look at the guy without feeling hate. I now think he's a piece of s***. One word, UNNECESSARY.

In my opinion, the Hunter/Burke collision was questionable, at best. The Erstad/Estrada collision was flat out good, clean, hard-nosed baseball. If Atlanta doesn't like it, they should stay in the wimpy NL and not play AL teams.

Erstad is a hard-nosed player and played football( punter is a position too) and all he was trying to do was score, and he did what he thought was the best possible move, and that was to run over Estrada. All Torii Hunter had to do was slide or move over a foot and would have scored easily.

I'm neither an Angels or Braves fan in any sense. However, I do consider myself a baseball fan in every sense of the term. Looking at the Erstad play from a completely unbiased point of view, that was good baseball. Period.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
I'm neither an Angels or Braves fan in any sense.  However, I do consider myself a baseball fan in every sense of the term.  Looking at the Erstad play from a completely unbiased point of view, that was good baseball.  Period.

I completely agree with you. He was playing the game how it should be played.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Hunter's shot on Burke was more of a cheap-shot because of the timing. IIRC, Burke didn't even have the ball yet and the Hunter play was unnecessary IMO as well.

Estrada was in the process of turning to tag Erstadt when he was nailed. He already had the ball. Erstadt had 2 options; nail him or try to slide around him, and he wasn't exactly in a position to slide around him.

That was pretty clean baseball.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
I'm neither an Angels or Braves fan in any sense.  However, I do consider myself a baseball fan in every sense of the term.  Looking at the Erstad play from a completely unbiased point of view, that was good baseball.  Period.

I feel the same way about myself, and honestly I think I would be cheering if the situation were reversed and a White Sox player plowed into a Twins catcher the same way. Burke was near the plate, even though he wasnt blocking it. Hunter went to send a message, and dammit if everyone didnt hear and see the message. The Twins took off from there and went on to the playoffs. Hunter did his job, I cannot fault him for doing it.

proceed with the flaming. :D