KW wants Everett—for now

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

GM wants Everett—for now

Williams says DH is not on block, but he's willing to make a deal

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

DENVER -- A short stroll Wednesday from the hotel to Coors Field gave White Sox general manager Ken Williams an opportunity to let Carl Everett know he's not being shopped to other teams.

"I told him, 'No. 1, don't start packing your bags, listening to the rumors,'" Williams said of his talk with Everett, who lost his full-time designated hitter duties with the return of Frank Thomas but started in left field Wednesday.

"'There's nothing on the horizon anywhere. No. 2, if there's something that made sense, you know me. But it would have to make real sense for us, short term and long term.

"'If it turns out that you are not able to handle this role, whatever it is, and we don't know how the at-bats will shape up, you're not able to do this kind of role, make me the first person you come to.

"'Let me know, let's talk man-to-man, and we'll deal with it from that perspective on.'"

Williams twice has traded for Everett, who is second on the Sox with 35 RBIs entering Wednesday's game. Everett has value to the Sox as a switch-hitter, especially from the left side. Williams also expressed concerns over the ramifications of trading Everett if Thomas were to reinjure his left ankle.

Since Thomas returned 10 days ago, Everett has maintained he would keep a positive attitude.

"That's why I brought him back here," Williams said. "I've always known he has had that kind of attitude."

In assessing the trade market, Williams said he had the authorization to increase the Sox's player payroll, which is slightly above $75 million.

"If there's a special player who comes available and we see him as a fit, and [club Chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf is happy about our start as well as anyone, we're not going to be afraid to go down those roads," Williams said.

Williams added there are an undisclosed number of minor-league players he wouldn't trade but said he has dealt once-untouchable players before.

"Ultimately, we want to go to the playoffs, do well and go to the World Series," Williams said. "If there's a special case here or there, sometimes you have to do uncomfortable things."

Since becoming the Sox's GM after the 2000 season, Williams has developed a reputation for addressing needs well before the July 31 trading deadline. But the pool of available players isn't as expansive as it will be because many teams remain in postseason contention.

That doesn't include Kansas City, but Williams doesn't expect to get any help from rival teams in the American League Central.

"But I like these guys (the Sox's players) and I'm not actively looking to move any of them," Williams said.

Evert leads the Al in hits that gave his team the lead. He was hitting great tonight. There is no reason to trade him. You can start him 3-4 times a week. Once at Dh. Onces in left filed either sitting pods or putting pods in center and sitting rowand. Once in Rf. Im sure evert would be fine with 3-4 starts a week. He did see whatever was best for the team.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
I think we have to keep Everett.  I just don't trust Frank will stay healthy the rest of the way.  I hope i'm wrong.

We need to keep both of them for the very reason you have listed, not to mention Jermaine Dye. Dye and Everett are injury prone and Frank may not be all the way back. This depth is a great problem to have.

I don't remember anybody doubting Carl, I certainly have thought he would have a productive year since I saw him at SoxFest.

But as KW said, if there's a deal that can help the club, or if he doesn't feel comfortable playing in a platoon role, he'll trade him.

He certainly won't be going anywhere today, tomorrow, or next week. But as we get toward the deadline, if Frank is healthy, the ABs just aren't going to be there for him unless someone else goes down.

Great article.

"One of the moves being thrown around by the plethora of amateur general managers had Chavez moving to the White Sox for third baseman Joe Crede and pitcher Brandon McCarthy, with an alleged deal-breaking request by Oakland for Minor League standout Brian Anderson."

Have these guys been lurking on soxtalk?

"In fact, Williams smiled and eventually forced out a "yes" when one reporter asked him if there were any untouchables in his Minor League system. Williams wouldn't give the exact total, in order to maintain future leverage in possible deals, but McCarthy and Anderson certainly are on that short list."

I think from now on, any trade ideas should not include these two guys, I think we may actually have some untouchables for real this time.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Great article.

"One of the moves being thrown around by the plethora of amateur general managers had Chavez moving to the White Sox for third baseman Joe Crede and pitcher Brandon McCarthy, with an alleged deal-breaking request by Oakland for Minor League standout Brian Anderson."

Have these guys been lurking on soxtalk?

"In fact, Williams smiled and eventually forced out a "yes" when one reporter asked him if there were any untouchables in his Minor League system. Williams wouldn't give the exact total, in order to maintain future leverage in possible deals, but McCarthy and Anderson certainly are on that short list."

I think from now on, any trade ideas should not include these two guys, I think we may actually have some untouchables for real this time.

I think we have pretty much ran this topic into the ground. There are NO untouchables on the team or in the system IF Kenny thinks it will improve the team. He isn't going to trade B Mac or Anderson for Randa, but he might for someone else. And no, I'm not going to speculate on who that is.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
I think we have pretty much ran this topic into the ground.  There are NO untouchables on the team or in the system IF Kenny thinks it will improve the team.  He isn't going to trade B Mac or Anderson for Randa, but he might for someone else.  And no, I'm not going to speculate on who that is.

Hah! You obviously don't understand the rules Dybber. If you think somebody could be traded, you must know to whom, for what, and have evidence to prove there is interest.

You are not allowed to just post thoughts on possible trade candidates.

:P

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
one game and everyones opinion is changed, he played great but lets see if he can do this again

Carl's been struggling but he's a proven quality major league hitter. My opinion hasn't changed when he was slumping and it it hasn't now that he appears to be getting back on track.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Hah! You obviously don't understand the rules Dybber. If you think somebody could be traded, you must know to whom, for what, and have evidence to prove there is interest.

You are not allowed to just post thoughts on possible trade candidates.

:P

Dont you have some xbox teams to manage somewhere?

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
I think we have pretty much ran this topic into the ground.  There are NO untouchables on the team or in the system IF Kenny thinks it will improve the team.  He isn't going to trade B Mac or Anderson for Randa, but he might for someone else.  And no, I'm not going to speculate on who that is.

hahaha, we could get into THAT discussion again, or just read the 1000 posts that have already discussed it again. I still agree that untouchable is an ever changing status of a player, and I agree that KW should trade whoever he needs to, and I think you know who im talking about already.

Here's an Everett Trade Scenario that I thought up (a lot of people don't want to deal him to the Angels, because of the fact he'd help them make the playoffs).

Send him to Tampa Bay for Jonny Gomes (25 in October)(.340/.470/.715) and a good prospect. TB just released their DH Josh Phelps, and could easily use Carl in that spot. And Lou Pinella would probably like his fiery attitude as well.

Gomes could become the 1st OF off the bench, negating the need for Timo. He would be the backup DH also, and could come into play for the DH role next season, depending on what happens with Frank Thomas.

Jonny Gomes is starting to get frustrated that he's still at Triple-A.

And rightfully so. The Devil Rays let Josh Phelps go this week, which is a questionable move in the first place, but then replaced him with Reggie Taylor. Meanwhile, Gomes is hitting .340 with 14 homers and 45 RBI at Durham. ''I don't think I have anything to prove down here,'' Gomes said. ''The only thing I have to prove is being consistent in the big leagues. And it's hard to do that from here.''

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Here's an Everett Trade Scenario that I thought up (a lot of people don't want to deal him to the Angels, because of the fact he'd help them make the playoffs).

Send him to Tampa Bay for Jonny Gomes (25 in October)(.340/.470/.715) and a good prospect. TB just released their DH Josh Phelps, and could easily use Carl in that spot. And Lou Pinella would probably like his fiery attitude as well.

Gomes could become the 1st OF off the bench, negating the need for Timo. He would be the backup DH also, and could come into play for the DH role next season, depending on what happens with Frank Thomas.

No way Carl would do anything there. It is obvious to me that he needs to be motivated to play, and the last time he went to a s***ty team, he quit on them. I doubt Lou would take that chance.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)

So, we are giving TB one of our emotional leaders and a real class act, for a kid who is mouthing off about where he is in an organization. Bascially swapping a proven, consistent player for a younger, unproven, smart ass.

No thanks.

There's really no need to trade Everett if Ozzie intends to use him to backup both Dye & Pods in the corner OF positions.

If Carl is ok with that then why trade him? Battling in Oct with Everett is probably better then battling with what we could get for him. I think if Perez doesn't get any playing time in the next week he's the odd man out when Gload returns.

Let's see if Crede gets hungry knowing he's sharing time now with Ozuna at 3B.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:15 AM)
So, we are giving TB one of our emotional leaders and a real class act, for a kid who is mouthing off about where he is in an organization.  Bascially swapping a proven, consistent player for a younger, unproven, smart ass. 

No thanks.

If you were stuck behind the likes of Reggie Taylor (who was in Charlotte last season), and you were producing far better then them, would you be at all happy?

I'm prob looking towards the future too much (as I'm prone to do), but I think if he was given a chance, Gomes could easily hit over 20HR's a season. Of course with all the OF's we have the minor leagues, that's not going to happen.