Mother of all trades suggestion

sox-r-us

Taking a look at his career numbers...

.287 BA, .342 OBP, never more than 80 K's in a season

Now I will say this from just past watching Randa. Don't expect him to keep the HR pace up, its not his game. But at his current price I agree....sucks that we wasted the same amount on Ben Davis and OMIT.

Serious question though, and speak with your indifferent mind, without letting personal feelings towards Crede coming through. If Randa is acquired, where does that leave Crede?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a look at his career numbers...

.287 BA, .342 OBP, never more than 80 K's in a season

Now I will say this from just past watching Randa. Don't expect him to keep the HR pace up, its not his game. But at his current price I agree....sucks that we wasted the same amount on Ben Davis and OMIT.

Serious question though, and speak with your indifferent mind, without letting personal feelings towards Crede coming through. If Randa is acquired, where does that leave Crede?

I know Randa doesn't really have much HR power but he hits to all parts of the field. He can also bunt and has a solid glove. I could care less if he keeps up his current HR pace. Just consistently hit, bunt, and play solid defense. I'm sure that's all Ozzie wants from his 3rd baseman as well but Crede can only handle playing good defense consistently.

Crede hits lefties a helluvalot better than righties. Just look at his splits on the season. His career splits show the same trend. Crede could start against lefties and also be a late-inning defensive replacement for Randa. He could also give Randa a day off whenever he needs one since he is 35 afterall. Randa has been killing righties a lot more than lefties this season as his splits show. Randa would start against almost all righties.

Here's ESPN's scouting report on Randa...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=5298

Scouting Report

2004 Season

As he'd done in many previous seasons, Joe Randa gave the Royals steady play at the hot corner while displaying one of the club's most productive bats. Torn cartilage in his right knee put Randa on the disabled list for a month at midseason. The injury effected his mobility, but he was otherwise one of the few players the Royals counted on all season. He set or tied several club records in a memorable game at Detroit early in September, as he went 6-for-7 and scored six runs.

Hitting

Hitting from a relaxed stance, Randa makes good adjustments for situation and count, which helps him thrive in pressure situations. Although usually a patient contact hitter who uses the whole field, Randa will expand his strike zone and swing more aggressively in RBI situations. He can bunt or hit behind runners as the situation requires, but he's prone to chasing high fastballs when down in the count and his platoon differential gradually is becoming more pronounced. Randa rarely swings for the fences; he's at his best when hitting the ball where it's pitched.

Baserunning & Defense

Although he used to have at least average speed, Randa has seen age and nagging knee injuries erode his running game. He's a smart runner, though, who will take advantage of what the defense allows. Quick reflexes and an accurate arm have made Randa one of the game's steadiest defenders.

2005 Outlook

While Randa would like to stay in Kansas City, where he makes his offseason home, he'd also like to play for a winner, and the Royals appear to be implementing a youth movement that will supplant him at third base. A free agent who was not offered salary arbitration, Randa can be expected to join a team that needs solid third-base defense and an RBI bat in the lower part of its order. Wherever he goes, he will be a positive influence both on the field and in the clubhouse.

Randa is not a star or anything like that. He's just a solid, fundamental player. No offence to Joe, but he's basically everything that Crede is not. I'm sure Randa could help this team in a big way. If we traded for Randa at the deadline or maybe a month before it, his prorated salary wouldn't cost much -- around $1 million or less. He would be an inexpensive trade option, both in the way of prospects and added salary, that would definately improve our lineup.

Edited by Jabroni