Steve Phillips

Kyyle23

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Normally (almost always) I don't care what these talking heads say, but if he used the names LaRussa, Cox, and Torre as his examples of why even keeled managers are successful ... well duh.  He picked three of the best managers of all time.

I'm sure there are hundreds of even keeled managers who were awful, and Steve Phillips also knows (or should know) that LaRussa and Cox in particular are known to get hot under the collar as the situation warrants.  That's part of what makes them so successful.

Those 3 have also managed very talented teams. That has a lot more to do with there success than their "even keelness." No one would characterize LaRussa and Cox as even keeled as you pointed out. Phillips is one of the guys that throws out a lot of BS and hopes some of it sticks. He adds nothing to a broadcast.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think Phillips is missing the point calling Guillen fiery and comparing him to Valentine. Guillen apparently has a good relationship with players, most say he acts like a player. There is no tension between him and players. Guillen is not the red ass Valentine is, and what Phillips thinks he is.