Fast Rising Broadway Selected by White Sox

Cerbaho-WG

Lance Broadway, the newest member of the White Sox after being selected 15th overall in MLB’s First Year Player Draft, still can’t believe what happened just several days ago...

“It’s still sinking in, but for the most part, no I really don’t think it has hit me yet,” said Broadway as he graciously agreed to an over the phone interview with FutureSox.com.

Read more of the interview

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
Perhaps I'm in the wrong major?  :lol: Nothing says useless undergrad degree like German and International Studies. :P

you do a great job at writing stories. Most people who do interviews are satisified with putting out a Q&A format story. To actually incorporate the questions and turn it into an article is a step above. Take a pat on the back, because that is solid work.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
you do a great job at writing stories.  Most people who do interviews are satisified with putting out a Q&A format story.  To actually incorporate the questions and turn it into an article is a step above.  Take a pat on the back, because that is solid work.

Thank you, I much appreciate it and enjoy writing tremendously. Although it saddens me somewhat when I read Dostoevsky, as I am now, or Nabokov or Vonnegut and I think, "Damn, I'll probably never write as well as this." But I've always been told I write well, so I take much pride in that. Maybe one day I'll turn my rants into some weirdo piece of fiction, who knows.

if I could pick one person for that ball to go to, it would be me. I know I’m going to make an out. I work hard about trying to stay quick, and I know people think of pitchers not as athletes, but I’ll race anybody.”

i love that attitude. i think he's got the mindset. And have to reiterate, great job Cerb, really enjoyed the interview

:headbang

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Thank you, I much appreciate it and enjoy writing tremendously. Although it saddens me somewhat when I read Dostoevsky, as I am now, or Nabokov or Vonnegut and I think, "Damn, I'll probably never write as well as this." But I've always been told I write well, so I take much pride in that. Maybe one day I'll turn my rants into some weirdo piece of fiction, who knows.

Big into the classical lit, eh? OK, here's a fairly easy question: What is the subtitle to Slaughterhouse Five? Also, name two of Dostoyevsky's novels.

Yes, I'm very bored. :)

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Big into the classical lit, eh?  OK, here's a fairly easy question: What is the subtitle to Slaughterhouse Five?  Also, name two of Dostoyevsky's novels.

Yes, I'm very bored. :)

Subtitle? You mean The Children's Crusade?

Also, I've been into Nabokov lately more than Dostoevsky, but once Crime and Punishment is finished, I'm turning to The Brothers Karamazov. Then back to Nabokov.

Just talked to one of the U of L players I know about Broadway and here is what he said about him.

Good curve, good slider, decent change, all pitches look the same coming out of his hand.

Said he is the best pitcher he has faced in college so far.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Just talked to one of the U of L players I know about Broadway and here is what he said about him.

Good curve, good slider, decent change, all pitches look the same coming out of his hand.

Said he is the best pitcher he has faced in college so far.

We had dinner with a scout last night and he had great things to say about him as well. One thing specifically he did say was that his change-up was "very sneaky" out of his glove.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
We had dinner with a scout last night and he had great things to say about him as well. One thing specifically he did say was that his change-up was "very sneaky" out of his glove.

I remember my Dad throwing me a very sneaky changeup out of his glove. It was like a hidden ball trick. He went into this big windup and a split second after nothing came out of his hand, he would flick the ball out of his glove. It certainly gave me pause, but I doubt it would work at the major league level. :D

Cerb, fantastic article. I was in L.A. during the draft and all I was able to find out was that the Sox selected Broadway, I appreciate all the work all of you guys did on the draft, it's really got me caught up pretty quick on everything. :cheers