Neal Cotts..

bjm676

Ducks and hides and I post this....

At the bottom is rotoworld take on Marte's early exit last night. Nothing really new as of now.

Cotts maturing in bullpen

Left-hander demonstrating improved mindset, slider

DENVER -- The White Sox media guide lists Neal Cotts' age at 25. But in the course of one 12-month period, the young left-handed hurler has grown wise beyond his years.

Cotts began his White Sox career as a promising young starter after being acquired from Oakland, but quickly was transformed into the answer to a meaningless trivia question: Who did former manager Jerry Manuel start as a rookie at Yankee Stadium in 2003, with the White Sox going for a three-game sweep, instead of Mark Buehrle?

That little piece of history rarely gets brought up anymore where Cotts is concerned, aside from an occasional mention from the media. There are far too many positives to focus on regarding Cotts' current stellar relief work.

In his last nine appearances, covering 10 innings, Cotts has allowed one run. In his last 18 appearances, covering 18 innings, the left-hander has given up three runs. He was especially impressive Tuesday night, striking out four of the six hitters he faced, including Todd Helton and Preston Wilson.

It was a common assumption that Cotts would take a while to adjust to life in a relief role, after starting his entire Minor League career. But in his second season coming out of the bullpen, Cotts' mental mechanics have improved enough to make him a top-notch setup man.

"I've matured in a way that covers more than just the pitching," said Cotts, who has limited hitters to a .173 average (13-for-75) and retired 14 of 18 first batters faced. "Last year, I would have a bad outing and carry it over to the next time. Now, I give up a couple of runs or hits and realize that tomorrow is a new day and I have to be ready. If they call your name again, you have to go get the outs.

"When I had bad times last year, it took a while to get out of them," Cotts added.

During Spring Training, pitching coach Don Cooper pointed to Cotts' development as a key to the bullpen for this year's squad. Manager Ozzie Guillen mentioned Cotts getting a more prominent role in the late innings. Both of those predictions quietly are coming to fruition.

While the mindset has improved for Cotts, so has his slider. In his second year of throwing that particular pitch, it has become as important as his fastball and being aggressive in the strike zone.

"I have four pitches, but I predominantly go to the fastball, slider and a few changes," Cotts said. "I had a full year last year and the whole offseason to work on the slider, and now I go to it more than any other pitch."

Damaso Marte left tonight's game in the bottom of the seventh inning with left biceps soreness.

If it's just a little tendinitis, Marte is day-to-day. If it's something more serious, the White Sox would likely recall Kevin Walker.

Arnie Munoz? I hope we don't have to see Walk-er again. He really shut down Anaheim, didn't he?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
I'm sure glad he's using the slider. Anything to get rid of his hanging change ups.

you've got to give Neal props, he's earning every penny he's being paid :cheers

I've been one of the biggest bashers of Neil Cotts since he showed up in the bigs but I have to give the man some credit as he's become quite a force in the middle relief role as of late. Hopefully he can keep it going.

It's a good thing not only for Neal, but for the Sox that he is finally turning out to be something good for this team. Before whenever he would come in I would turn off the game and predict an automatic loss. Now when Neal comes in, it seems he is almost automatic in getting outs. Go Neal and :gosox1: .

I've always like Neils arm, but wanted to see him at AAA being a starter. He's really turned me around this year. He's throwing strikes and has done a great job settling into a bullpen role. He's been rock solid lately.

This might be out on a limb, but if KW does make a move (and Marte isn't seriously hurt) I wouldn't be suprised if Cotts is a young pitcher they use as bait. If he keeps pitching this way, a team can easily stretch him out next ST for a starters role.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
I've always like Neils arm, but wanted to see him at AAA being a starter.  He's really turned me around this year.  He's throwing strikes and has done a great job settling into a bullpen role.  He's been rock solid lately.

This might be out on a limb, but if KW does make a move (and Marte isn't seriously hurt) I wouldn't be suprised if Cotts is a young pitcher they use as bait.  If he keeps pitching this way, a team can easily stretch him out next ST for a starters role.

God I hope not. The last thing we need is to be trading 1 of the guys in our bullpen with an ERA below 3. Not if we're making a playoff run. Especially not if the guy is a lefty. 2 quality or near-quality left handers in your bullpen gives you a ton of options in the playoffs, and that's a very good thing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
God I hope not.  The last thing we need is to be trading 1 of the guys in our bullpen with an ERA below 3.  Not if we're making a playoff run.  Especially not if the guy is a lefty.  2 quality or near-quality left handers in your bullpen gives you a ton of options in the playoffs, and that's a very good thing.

Yeah, I'm not advocating trading Cotts, I just think that he would have some value now, and KW probably would be more likely to trade him over McCarthy at this point.

Although I know B-Mac has been struggling in AAA, do any of the guys who monitor the minors here know if his prospect status is being hurt, or is h is K/BB stilll strong enough and the Charlotte park enough of a bandbox?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
Yeah, I'm not advocating trading Cotts, I just think that he would have some value now, and KW probably would be more likely to trade him over McCarthy at this point.

I think right about now, even if we considered Trading him, we'd never get back enough value to make up for the loss of a quality left-hander. Especially since very few people have heard of him.

No team's going to get excited if they give up someone for "Neal Cotts". They would for BMac. I honestly think the only guy in our organization we might get equal value for is BMac, just because of how dominant he was in the minors last year and in ST this year.