Nba officials told to prepare for a lockout.

You gotta love sports...

NBA labor talks stalled Wednesday after a 2½-hour meeting in New York, less than a month before a lockout would begin.

"All I can say is that we had a meeting, and we don't have anything else scheduled," NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said.

Players association director Billy Hunter said he outlined a new proposal, then offered to extend the terms of the current seven-year agreement that expires June 30. The league turned both offers down.

"It's definitely fair to say the talks have stalled," Hunter said. "They are seeking more concessions off the current deal, and we contend we made major concessions in the last collective bargaining agreement."

Hunter attended the meeting with union president Michael Curry, secretary-treasurer Pat Garrity and five members of the union's staff. The owners were represented by Granik, commissioner David Stern and four staff members from the league office staff, Hunter said.

Among the issue the sides have failed to reach agreement on are the maximum length of long-term contracts, the size of the annual raises available in those contracts and a possible increase in the minimum age.

"We've tried our best to reach out to them and address their concerns," Garrity said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2073793

Deputy commissioner Russ Granik told members of the NBA's competition committee Monday to prepare for a lockout, four league sources, including two NBA general managers, have told ESPN.com.

League spokesman Tim Frank was more circumspect when confirming Granik's remarks, saying Granik told the committee "to prepare in case of a lockout."

Sources, some at the NBA's pre-draft camp in Chicago, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, are not optimistic that the league and the players' union can reach agreement on a new collective-bargaining agreement before the current contract expires June 30.

The same sources say, however, that any work stoppage will not be a long one.

"There's going to be a lockout," an NBA executive told Ford. "I don't think there's any way we get a deal done any time soon. We're not seeing eye to eye right now. The truth is that players don't really believe a lockout will hurt them in the summer. It won't be until there's a threat of losing that first paycheck that they'll get serious about negotiating again."

While this could be no more than posturing by the NBA, sources on the players' side are quietly conceding the same thing.

"I think they'll lock us out," a source with the NBA Players' Association said. "I think David [stern] has always wanted to lock us out. I think it's a mistake. They act like they don't have anything to lose, but I think they do. The summer league, free agency, NBA players' playing in the qualifying tournament for the World Championships. The bottom line is that the players want to play. They [the players] offered to extend the current deal until a new one could be put into place. They [the owners] want this, and there's nothing we can do to stop them."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2081405

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
So let's see, outta the "big 4", the bottom 2 are the ones that go on lockout.

Sounds like smart business to me.

NASCAR is making a push to bring themselves in. If the NBA bows out also, who knows what other sport will emerge.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
Speaking of the NBA, has it really become that bad?  I mean, after the National Anthem, Will friggin' Smith?  Mercy...  Sorry, I just think that's extremely pathetic.

It's all about attracting the younger casual audience. Who knows what the f*** they are doing.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
Speaking of the NBA, has it really become that bad?  I mean, after the National Anthem, Will friggin' Smith?  Mercy...  Sorry, I just think that's extremely pathetic.

Kelly clarkson the next game~~~ wo0t.

With the Bulls finally turning it around after 6 seasons of utter futility, you better believe it I'll be damned furious if they miss playing time.

I just can't believe that people would be so stupid as to risk 2 work stoppages in 6 years. I think these guys will figure something out.

Remember like 2 years ago in MLB, when it seemed almost certian that there would be a 2nd strike, and at the last minute they worked something out?

I bet something like that will happen in the NBA. Last second they'll work something out. The only problem with my theory is that if there is a lockout, they don't immediately start losing games, so that makes the lockout a little more likely, and once its started it gets even harder to stop.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
With the Bulls finally turning it around after 6 seasons of utter futility, you better believe it I'll be damned furious if they miss playing time.

I just can't believe that people would be so stupid as to risk 2 work stoppages in 6 years.  I think these guys will figure something out.

Remember like 2 years ago in MLB, when it seemed almost certian that there would be a 2nd strike, and at the last minute they worked something out?

I bet something like that will happen in the NBA.  Last second they'll work something out.  The only problem with my theory is that if there is a lockout, they don't immediately start losing games, so that makes the lockout a little more likely, and once its started it gets even harder to stop.

Bet you money they have a lock out. At this point it is inevitable because the players are crying. Both sides have cut off negotiation and they have no intention of getting anything worked out now ( more so the players union).

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
the country?

doesn't the universal order go

1)NFL

2)MLB

3)NBA

4)NHL

I think in the late 90's, right after the Strike and during the Jordan years, you could maybe have flopped #2 and #3. Those were rough times for Baseball, and Jordan made the NBA as big as it could get.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
I think in the late 90's, right after the Strike and during the Jordan years, you could maybe have flopped #2 and #3.  Those were rough times for Baseball, and Jordan made the NBA as big as it could get.

agreed.

but now? no way.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
the country?

doesn't the universal order go

1)NFL

2)MLB

3)NBA

4)NHL

The nba has more followers than any other sport besides soccer. In every other continent kids either have a basketball or a soccer ball. Kids in europe are not walking around with baseball bats and hockey sticks the majority of the time. One reason being is they cannot afford the equipment for either baseball/ hockey. Football is not nearly and big as soccer is world wide either.

The nhl's ratings are/were less than a fifth of nascar's and barely more than a fourth of the nba's, cable or over-the-air broadcast.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
The nba has more followers than any other sport besides soccer. In every other continent kids either have a basketball or a soccer ball. Kids in europe are not walking around with baseball bats and hockey sticks the majority of the time. One reason being is they cannot afford the equipment for either baseball/ hockey. Football is not nearly and big as soccer is world wide either.

Kids in Europe aren't walking around very much with baseball bats, but what about Kids in Japan and Latin America? Seems to me like a heck of a lot of them have baseball bats. Korea too.

China...well Yao Ming might have helped them corner that market, and that's a pretty damn big market.

1 thing though - it seems to me that lots of players in latin America (Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela, etc.) seem to find ways to get their hands on baseball equipment. I think that Europe is probably a fair amount more developed than Latin America, so somehow I doubt that Europeans being unable to buy the equipment to compete in baseball is a workable reason.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Kids in Europe aren't walking around very much with baseball bats, but what about Kids in Japan and Latin America?  Seems to me like a heck of a lot of them have baseball bats.  Korea too.

China...well Yao Ming might have helped them corner that market, and that's a pretty damn big market.

1 thing though - it seems to me that lots of players in latin America (Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela, etc.) seem to find ways to get their hands on baseball equipment.  I think that Europe is probably a fair amount more developed than Latin America, so somehow I doubt that Europeans being unable to buy the equipment to compete in baseball is a workable reason.

Usually they have people who set up leagues and such so that they can scope out the talent for baseball. Not many kids have there own things over their... Most of the equipment they use are just old pieces of s*** hand me downs.

Soccer far and away blows out any sport that is a given. I mean they pack stadiums with 100,000+ without any problem. Football is big more so here than any where else... because in alot of people's mind out of the usa soccer>football.

I am gonna stick to baseball and basketball being a close number two behind soccer.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
Usually they have people who set up leagues and such so that they can scope out the talent for baseball. Not many kids have there own things over their...  Most of the equipment they use are just old pieces of s*** hand me downs.

Soccer far and away blows out any sport that is a given. I mean they pack stadiums with 100,000+ without any problem. Football is big more so here than any where else... because in alot of people's mind out of the usa soccer>football.

I am gonna stick to baseball and basketball being a close number two behind soccer.

my comment was about the USA, not the world.

but i agree with you on the whole world popularity thing

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Usually they have people who set up leagues and such so that they can scope out the talent for baseball. Not many kids have there own things over their...  Most of the equipment they use are just old pieces of s*** hand me downs.

Just so you know...I am more than happy to agree with you on Soccer.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)

I just can't believe that people would be so stupid as to risk 2 work stoppages in 6 years.  I think these guys will figure something out.

I bet something like that will happen in the NBA.  Last second they'll work something out.  The only problem with my theory is that if there is a lockout, they don't immediately start losing games, so that makes the lockout a little more likely, and once its started it gets even harder to stop.

There was a reason MLB worked something out. The fans in the stands, all across the country, sent those stupid SOB's a long loud clear message. As the deadline toward the work stoppage approached fans becoma more and more vocal and beligerant ... booing every player ... turning their backs on the game in the stands ... people were pissed and they let MLB and MLBPA know about it.

ESPN - ESPN’s Chad Ford is reporting that according to sources, deputy commissioner Russ Granik told members of the NBA's competition committee Monday to prepare for a lockout. This has been confirmed by four league sources who spoke directly with ESPN.com

"There's going to be a lockout," an NBA executive told Ford. "I don't think there's any way we get a deal done any time soon. We're not seeing eye to eye right now. The truth is that players don't really believe a lockout will hurt them in the summer. It won't be until there's a threat of losing that first paycheck that they'll get serious about negotiating again."

If there is a lockout, it should not last long. Many believe that even with negotiations currently at a standstill, the 2005-06 season will go on without a hitch.

"I think they'll lock us out," a source with the NBA Players' Association said. "I think David [stern] has always wanted to lock us out. I think it's a mistake. They act like they don't have anything to lose, but I think they do. The summer league, free agency, NBA players' playing in the qualifying tournament for the World Championships. The bottom line is that the players want to play. They [the players] offered to extend the current deal until a new one could be put into place. They [the owners] want this, and there's nothing we can do to stop them."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2081405