Bears trade #4 pick

southsider2k5

According to the Jimmy Johnson draft scale chart, we have won this deal.  We got 2 first rounders and most likely a 3rd for a pick that had a ton of questionmarks.

The Bears have so many needs and this is a draft, where in the first three rounds there are a ton of good players and thats what makes a team good, having a lot of good players.  Bears lack that right now and this draft will be an awesome way of building things.

Guys like Mcgahee will be down there, Boller or Lefty could be there at 22 (Thats right 22).  If Jacksonville doesn't pick a qb and Carolina doesn't (All signs say they won't) then Boller and Lefty fall all the way to the Bears 2nd 1st rounder.

Bears will draft defense with 2 of the picks and maybe qb.  They will draft one qb within the 1st three rounds.  If its in the 3rd round it would be Ragone.

Also, some talks have came up that Suggs is really going to fall, not likely all the way to 13, but its a possibility.  Either way, Boss Bailey would be a sweet pick at 13 if he's there, so would Jordan Gross or Jimmy Kennedy or Mike Williams from OSU.

Looking more like a 4th round conditional on DR. B.Leftwich will not get past BALT at 10.

i really don't understand where these so called experts are saying that it is a deep draft. the qb first 2 or 3, dt 2 de 1 or 2, lb 1 or 2 db 2

so where is the depth that have you guys raving about. outside the first 5 or 6 pick, its avg at best. the top 4-5 is the impact players in this draft.

and jas are you saying that we won the trade, i think not.

Bailey is projected at 12 to the Rams.

Bailey has some amazing combine numbers, but your right, he still has some to learn, but he'll be good.

Also LDF, there are about 9 really solid cb's, at least 6 tackles and a few ends. There is a lot out there. QB wise: Grossman, Simms, Boller, Leftwich, Palmer, Ragone. Those are all 2nd round qb's or higher.

Here is an article I just wrote in regards to this.

Commentary: What Does the Trade Mean for the Bears?

By Jason Gage

April 25, 2003

Bearstalk.com

Up until today people were projecting Dewayne Robertson, Terrell Suggs or Terrance Newman as the Bears first round draft pick. Those projections are now over. With two first round picks and a very early second round pick the Bears entire strategy has changed and in my opinion for the better.

At number four, you want to select a player that is going to make an immediate impact or develop into a special player. It is safe to say that all three of the players mentioned above fit this category; the problem was the risk involved in each of them. In the case of Suggs, he had two terrible workouts just before the draft, which has led to most teams dropping him on the draft chart. Terrance Newman, 25, is a little older which leads to some concerns, but he also had some shoulder issues. Reports say that Newman is fully healthy now and I’d say Newman has an excellent chance at being a shutdown cornerback. The problem is Dick Jauron and others within the organization have hinted that they would rather have a great pass rusher then a shutdown corner, and that’s coming from Jauron, a former secondary-back. Then you have Robertson. Robertson’s stock has shot up because of an amazing combine and workout numbers. The problem is, his numbers in college worry some.

In the case of Robertson or Newman I don’t think there is near as much risk involved, but there is the issue of all the money that is risked on a high pick. When you mix that with the amount of needs the Bears had, the decision was obvious to Angelo as well as myself, and that was the Bears should move down.

Now that they have two first rounders and a very early second rounder they can pick up three potential starters all of which should be good players. The most dire needs for the Bears are on the defensive end of the ball (Dline, OLB, and the secondary) as well as the offensive line and quarterback.

The Bears will likely target two defensive players and a quarterback with the first three picks, but if a player like Jordan Gross (Offensive Tackle) fell to them, it could be a different story.

Some of the defensive players the Bears could target are: Boss Bailey (OLB), Marcus Trufant (CB), Andre Woolfolk (CB), Jimmy Kennedy (DT), Kevin Williams (DT), Jerome McDougle, or Terrell Suggs (If he kept sliding). Offensively it appears as if Gross, one of Iowa’s offensive lineman or Kwame Harris would be options along with quarterbacks: Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, Dave Ragone, and Chris Simms. There is also an outside shot that they would take a running back like Willis McGahee or Lee Suggs or even a receiver.

Later in the draft I would like to see the Bears target defensive tackle Colin Cole (Iowa) and wide receiver’s Arnaz Battle (Notre Dame) and Karim Kelly (USC).

It is no secret that the Bears have a lot of needs and if Angelo plays things right in this draft, he could really rejuvenate the talent base and make this years team so much better and deeper. Another big advantage with a great draft would mean the Bears would be able to drop one of the older defensive lineman they have, freeing up more cap room, so they could acquire two or three veterans in June. Trading out of the fourth pick will also save them quite a bit in cap space.

The bottom line is the Bears now will be able to acquire three starters in the first two rounds and will be sitting pretty in the third, a round where some pretty solid players should still be available.

Here is an article I just wrote in regards to this. 

Commentary: What Does the Trade Mean for the Bears?

By Jason Gage

April 25, 2003

Bearstalk.com

Up until today people were projecting Dewayne Robertson, Terrell Suggs or Terrance Newman as the Bears first round draft pick. Those projections are now over. With two first round picks and a very early second round pick the Bears entire strategy has changed and in my opinion for the better.

At number four, you want to select a player that is going to make an immediate impact or develop into a special player. It is safe to say that all three of the players mentioned above fit this category; the problem was the risk involved in each of them. In the case of Suggs, he had two terrible workouts just before the draft, which has led to most teams dropping him on the draft chart. Terrance Newman, 25, is a little older which leads to some concerns, but he also had some shoulder issues. Reports say that Newman is fully healthy now and I’d say Newman has an excellent chance at being a shutdown cornerback. The problem is Dick Jauron and others within the organization have hinted that they would rather have a great pass rusher then a shutdown corner, and that’s coming from Jauron, a former secondary-back. Then you have Robertson. Robertson’s stock has shot up because of an amazing combine and workout numbers. The problem is, his numbers in college worry some.

In the case of Robertson or Newman I don’t think there is near as much risk involved, but there is the issue of all the money that is risked on a high pick. When you mix that with the amount of needs the Bears had, the decision was obvious to Angelo as well as myself, and that was the Bears should move down.

Now that they have two first rounders and a very early second rounder they can pick up three potential starters all of which should be good players. The most dire needs for the Bears are on the defensive end of the ball (Dline, OLB, and the secondary) as well as the offensive line and quarterback.

The Bears will likely target two defensive players and a quarterback with the first three picks, but if a player like Jordan Gross (Offensive Tackle) fell to them, it could be a different story.

Some of the defensive players the Bears could target are: Boss Bailey (OLB), Marcus Trufant (CB), Andre Woolfolk (CB), Jimmy Kennedy (DT), Kevin Williams (DT), Jerome McDougle, or Terrell Suggs (If he kept sliding). Offensively it appears as if Gross, one of Iowa’s offensive lineman or Kwame Harris would be options along with quarterbacks: Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, Dave Ragone, and Chris Simms. There is also an outside shot that they would take a running back like Willis McGahee or Lee Suggs or even a receiver.

Later in the draft I would like to see the Bears target defensive tackle Colin Cole (Iowa) and wide receiver’s Arnaz Battle (Notre Dame) and Karim Kelly (USC).

It is no secret that the Bears have a lot of needs and if Angelo plays things right in this draft, he could really rejuvenate the talent base and make this years team so much better and deeper. Another big advantage with a great draft would mean the Bears would be able to drop one of the older defensive lineman they have, freeing up more cap room, so they could acquire two or three veterans in June. Trading out of the fourth pick will also save them quite a bit in cap space.

The bottom line is the Bears now will be able to acquire three starters in the first two rounds and will be sitting pretty in the third, a round where some pretty solid players should still be available.

Good article Jason. :headbang

Bailey is projected at 12 to the Rams. 

Bailey has some amazing combine numbers, but your right, he still has some to learn, but he'll be good.

Also LDF, there are about 9 really solid cb's, at least 6 tackles and a few ends.  There is a lot out there.  QB wise: Grossman, Simms, Boller, Leftwich, Palmer, Ragone.  Those are all 2nd round qb's or higher.

solid players are based on the other players in the draft. impact players are thos that are special. there is a diference in the defination.

the bears did a job in understanding that they could get 2 solid starters that will have an impact rather than the potential of haveing a stud which seems to make more sense for our team

check teams that win superbowls...they have stud players leading them...when you get a chance to draft a stud you do it...you can get good players anywhere in the draft.. you can find rookie starters in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...look at mike brown(iirc , a 2nd rounder)...but studs or impact players are few and far between

check teams that win superbowls...they have stud players leading them...when you get a chance to draft a stud you do it...you can get good players anywhere in the draft.. you can find rookie starters in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...look at mike brown(iirc , a 2nd rounder)...but studs or impact players are few and far between

this past superbowl, you had 2 stud player, 1 from each team and they both played defense and yes they were instrutmental in the team getting there.

The Bears also will get a 2nd rounder in the draft if Robertson is picked by the Jets.  Tell me thats not value.  I sure hope no one takes Robertson but the Jets.

New England is attempting to acquire the #2 pick from Detroit so that they can move up and take Robertson. They have offered both their 1st round picks and their 2nd rounder for the #2 pick. The Lions also want a 3rd round pick in the deal. OK, so wait a minute.... New England offered the Bears both those 1st round picks for #4 overall, but wanted our #35 pick also? Now they are willing to give up those two 1st rounders, and a 2nd rounder for the #2 pick? Yet, they've been eyeballing Robertson the whole time. Why is Robertson that valueable when he is picked with Detroits pick, and not ours?

Let's hope Robertson is still there when the Jets pick. We can use another decent player from the 2nd round.

New England is attempting to acquire the #2 pick from Detroit so that they can move up and take Robertson. They have offered both their 1st round picks and their 2nd rounder for the #2 pick.  The Lions also want a 3rd round pick in the deal.  OK, so wait a minute.... New England offered the Bears both those 1st round picks for #4 overall, but wanted our #35 pick also?  Now they are willing to give up those two 1st rounders, and a 2nd rounder for the #2 pick? Yet, they've been eyeballing Robertson the whole time. Why is Robertson that valueable when he is picked with Detroits pick, and not ours?

Let's hope Robertson is still there when the Jets pick.  We can use another decent player from the 2nd round.

i just read that chi been advertising to trade thier pick for a while. new england wanted to play hardball and failed. nice try.

The Bears also will get a 2nd rounder in the draft if Robertson is picked by the Jets.  Tell me thats not value.  I sure hope no one takes Robertson but the Jets.

Bears conditional pick is no better than a Sunday 4th round pick as of 10:00 am SATurday. :huh: