Natalee Holloway update..

Steff

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
Update:  One of the men in custody has confessed to killing her.    Not sure what the deal is with finding her body yet.

Wow, this story suddenly took a turn for the worse then.

A little OT, but here's a similar sort of story with an update about a 24 year old Aussie, who's been missing in Costa Rica under sort of similar circumstances, he went to a school about 2 blocks away from my house;

HUMAN remains found on a beach in the Central American republic of Costa Rica could be those of missing Melbourne student Brendan Dobbins.

Costa Rican authorities are investigating whether the remains, found near the beach at Tamarindo, where Mr Dobbins, 24, was last seen, could be the RMIT student.

The Department of Foreign Affairs yesterday told Mr Dobbins's family of the development. Brendan's father, Brian Dobbins, said the remains were discovered at Langosta Beach, about 3km from the town of Tamarindo.

Mr Dobbins said he was not reading too much into the development before the remains were identified.

"It's difficult, with false information coming out, and to have expectations. So at this stage, I will wait and see exactly what they find," he said.

DFAT spokeswoman Julie McDonald said Costa Rican authorities would examine the remains tomorrow and planned to use dental records to establish identity.

Brendan Dobbins was last seen on March 4, drinking with friends at the Big Bazar Beach Club in Tamarindo. He was on an exchange program from RMIT and had been studying at the University of Florida since December. He was holidaying in Costa Rica.

Mr Dobbins left the bar about 4am, saying he was looking for a local girl known only as Tico. He has not been seen since.

Desperate to find their son, Brian and Mary Dobbins went to Costa Rica on April 16. They carried out a poster campaign and hired a private investigator, but their search proved fruitless.

Australian Federal Police sent a liaison officer to work with Costa Rican authorities to find Brendan. His disappearance in Tamarindo, known for drug dealers, raised fears he had been kidnapped.

Police suspected foul play.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
Me neither.. I also didn't realize there were no "chocolate" men in Alabama..  :huh

Alabama? Drive S 6 hours to Southern Illinois. Interracial dating is rampant down there so the "chocolate" men analogy holds no water w/me.

Many just find it easier to blame the victim for lack of a better explanation.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
I love how everyone pretends they don't know what happened and why.

This story reminds me of a song from that Spike Lee movie:

She's got jungle fever

She had jungle fever

She's got jungle fever yeah yeah yeah

.......and if that didn't piss ya off, how about this for speculating and generalizing: She's from Alabama right?  She probably figured that was her only opportunity to get some 'chocolate in her milk' without someone getting lynched and the other person getting disowned by her family.

Flame away.

Um, she got boinked by 3 Arubians. None of them look black and one of them looked really white.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
Alabama? Drive S 6 hours to Southern Illinois. Interracial dating is rampant down there so the "chocolate" men analogy holds no water w/me.

Many just find it easier to blame the victim for lack of a better explanation.

Until tragedy strikes some personally they have no idea...

When bad stuff happens I always think.. how would I feel if this had happened to me, or my sister, or my mother, or father, brother, etc, etc..

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
Until tragedy strikes some personally they have no idea...

And until you know about all of our lives, I advise you to avoid editorializing about them.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

I'm sorry but they don't need ten (10) FBI agents looking into this matter.

It is such a non-story that it isn't even worth covering, let alone the non-stop coverage of it. And hey, if any of my relatives was stupid enough to leave friends/chaperones at a bar or not go out with them (all while in another country where they don't know where things are) and then go off with random people that they didn't know, then they deserve what they get (especially if she was at the bar with other people from her class & they let her go). For an honors student, she sure seems like she was a moron.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)

It is such a non-story that it isn't even worth covering, let alone the non-stop coverage of it.  And hey, if any of my relatives was stupid enough to leave friends/chaperones at a bar or not go out with them (all while in another country where they don't know where things are) and then go off with random people that they didn't know, then they deserve what they get (especially if she was at the bar with other people from her class & they let her go).  For an honors student, she sure seems like she was a moron.

LCR me and you rarely ever see eye to eye on anything in the SLAP boards but you are spot on right here. Let this be a lesson to teens everywhere who want to get away from daddy and go party with total strangers.

Stupid girl had no business drinking alcohol at all let alone enough to get wasted on and she should have known better than to run off with 3 strangers. Much as I hate to say it you reap what you sow.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
LCR me and you rarely ever see eye to eye on anything in the SLAP boards but you are spot on right here.  Let this be a lesson to teens everywhere who want to get away from daddy and go party with total strangers.

Stupid girl had no business drinking alcohol at all let alone enough to get wasted on and she should have known better than to run off with 3 strangers.  Much as I hate to say it you reap what you sow.

One of the attorneys name is Kock, pretty ironic in this story.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)

And until you know about all of our lives, I advise you to avoid editorializing about them.

Soxy.. I think you misunderstood my comment....

I was not editorializing and defintely not generalizing. I certiantly would not begin to attempt to try to walk a mile in anyone's shoes, even those I know. I was specifically referring to those that crap on people who find themselves victims of tragedy as a result of (for lack of a better term) bad judgement.

Furthermore.. I was responding specifically to Killa's comment that some choose to blame the victim no matter what.. I certiantly don't know you well enough to know if you do this so I was in no way incinuating that's what you do..

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Um, she got boinked by 3 Arubians. None of them look black and one of them looked really white.

Good point in bringing this up.. Sidney is Aruban and is far from dark skined. Until you hear him speak he looks American as any other American's I know. I'm struggling to recall seeing many African American's when I visited there. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Good point in bringing this up.. Sidney is Aruban and is far from dark skined. Until you hear him speak he looks American as any other American's I know. I'm struggling to recall seeing many African American's when I visited there.  :huh

lol. How about African-Arubans? :bang

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)

It is such a non-story that it isn't even worth covering, let alone the non-stop coverage of it.  And hey, if any of my relatives was stupid enough to leave friends/chaperones at a bar or not go out with them (all while in another country where they don't know where things are) and then go off with random people that they didn't know, then they deserve what they get (especially if she was at the bar with other people from her class & they let her go).  For an honors student, she sure seems like she was a moron.

I agree strongly with this. She should've been smarter than that.