How long have you been a Sox fan

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
i started playing baseball in 1991

the first week of the offical season i became a white sox fan after seeing a game on TV

being from califiornia, its kinda odd for me to pick the sox, but how could i not

havent been a fan since... i was 7 years old at the time

Wow, a California purebred Sox fan......

:headbang

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad is a Sox fan. Grew up on the SW side. Played catch with the old man. He could really break off a huge curve with a Clincher. Have a 1974 program advertising family day with a picture of my Dad and 2 brothers in it. Dad always said Johnny Mostil (great Sox CF from the 20's) was a distant cousin. So i guess i was born into it going strong at 47 yrs.

1960. My Dad hated the Yankees. I remember him teaching me cribbage at a cottage in Northern Ontario in the summer. I was not quite 9 years old. I couldn't get over how we were listening to a Yankee - White Sox game so far from civilization, in the middle of nowhere. The broadcast was surprisingly strong. It faded in and out a little, but that just seemed to add to the mystic. Shortly after that I watched Early Wynn pitch a game against the Indians. I watched it in my grand-father's basement. I couldn't get over how much Early could make the ball move all over the place. I remember somebody suggestiong I go outside and play, but I was mesmerized and absolutely refused.

Edited by ottawa_sox

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
I'm 47 years old and never recall not being a Sox fan.  I'd have to pin it to 1963 or 64 as to when I really started paying attention.

Right there with ya Yas! I was born in the pennant year 1959 (Thanks mom and dad), so even though I really didn't start paying attention until 63' or 64' I couldn't have stonger roots in me than being born on such a great year! To commemorate it, I have been able to collect Every known Sox Topps brand baseball cards from that year to the present day. Brings back a lot of tremendous memories.

And to quote the wise guy about cards being on papyrus....."You are wrong my friend!!! That was much later!!! When we were born,they were etched on walls in a cave chiseled in with a rock!

Since birth. My dad and big brother are HUGE Sox fans and my sister is a Cub fan (we think she is adopted). My dad is a retired cop, so when I was little in the summer I would get to stay up late and watch the Sox games so I could fill my dad in on all the details when he got home from his shift. Now we live 15 miles apart and talk on the phone during the games. Only problem is he has cable and I have DirectTV so he sees the action first!

What great memories! :gosox3:

Dwight Eisenhower was President. The original Mayor Daley was in office. The White Sox finished second to the Yankees in the AL and Billy Pierce was a 20 game winner. The Braves from Milwaukee would beat the Yankees in the World Series in 7 games. The year was 1957. Do I get a prize?