1. 1. Which pitching rotation was the best

• 83- Hoyt,Dotson,Bannister,Burns
    • 93- McDowell,Fernandez,Alvarez,Bere
    • 00-Sirotka,Baldwin,Eldred, Parque
    • 05- Buehrle,Garcia,Garland,Hernandez&Conteras

Don't know why anyone would pick '00.

Cal Eldred?

Jim "out of the" Parque?

I was still a youngster of 7 years-old in '83, so from what I remember, '93 was the best.

Bere, Black Jack, Fernandez & Alvarez were awesome.

However, this year is very comparable.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(robin_ventura_eternal @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
not the year with bere, i never liked him. i think he was inconsistant

Inconsistant meaning he won his first nine starts in 94 and ended up 12-2? Inconsistant in 93 when he ended up 12-5?

In 93 and 94, Bere was on his game.

I was 2 years old in 1983, so I'd have some difficulty voting for them. If anyone can pass along some stats to convince me, i'd love to see them.

Otherwise, I still rank 93 the best...for now.

If this pitching staff continues to carry us to the playoffs, then they can easily surpass that lineup. But man, wasn't Black Jack incredible in the early 90's? I never saw anyone be so dominant when he didn't have his best pitches working.

I didn't vote because I'm a youngster and don't remember the 83 staff, which was awesome by all accounts.

However, this is a great study: 3 of our 4 most successful teams over the last 22 years have had great starting staffs. Just goes to show how important that is.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Balta- I have all 4 years stats on the 1st page

Can you offer up anything other than ERA and W/L? Remember, 83 and 93 are IMHO 2 totally different eras in baseball. The Canseco/Big Mac/Post 89 A's offensive (and possibly steroid fueled) surge hadn't happened yet. So it's hard to just look at ERA's between these 2 era's and compare.

On top of that, the late 80's was really when we saw the proliferation of Middle Relief and closers, who could come in if a guy was struggling and cause a pitcher to get less wins. (When's the last time we saw a 24 game winner?) Therefore, it's also hard to compare a 24 win season in 1983 to any numbers in 93.

I think that it's almost safe to compare 93 to today, even though I'd bet that the ERA number on an equivalent staff would still be higher this year, due to the smaller ballparks and/or designer steroids.

Don't know the exact stats on the 83 team, but the 05 starters have 33 of the Sox 41 wins (10 for Garland, 7 for Buehrle, 7 for Duque, 6 for Freddy, and 3 for Count). If they continue that pace, they'll rank among the best staffs of all-time, let alone franchise history. :gosox3: