Honel Outrighted to Birmingham

Heads22

Kris Honel - Starting Pitcher

White Sox sent RHP Kris Honel outright to Double-A Birmingham.

Honel, the team's top pitching prospect a year ago, had had elbow problems and is now throwing in just the mid-80s.  It's still mildly surprising some team didn't take a chance on him.  The Royals have worse bets on their 40-man roster, and the Indians would have been better off taking a chance on his velocity coming back than on Jose Diaz ever finding home plate. Jun. 10 - 4:48 pm et

Something may be brewing...

Unfortunately, Honel is just another player in the long line of Sox draft busts.

I'm thinking a first base replacement that needs to be put on the 40 man roster is coming up. Norton, Burke?

I'm hoping to see Norton back. He is doing pretty well for Charlotte and he would make a good switch-hitting pinch-hitter that can backup Paulie and maybe even play some 3rd base. But you're right, it could be either. Especially with Ozzie's man-love for Burke.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
The Sox would be wise to pick up Josh Phelps, who was stupidly released by the Devil Rays. Not sure if anyone has taken a look at him yet.

I agree Cerb, Phelps can rake. I was wondering though, could he play first base at all? I remember him being a catcher at the beginning of his career and then he was basically a DH. If he's only a DH he'd be kind of useless on our club, but if he isn't a butcher at first he'd be a good backup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=6494

Scouting Report

2004 Season

The Indians acquired Josh Phelps from Toronto in a waiver trade on August 6 for minor leaguer Eric Crozier. Phelps was hitting .237 but leading the Blue Jays with 51 RBI at the time of the deal. He made the most of his opportunities with the Indians, hitting .303 with five homers and 10 RBI.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense

Long and lean, Phelps has good plate coverage and generates a lot of power when he keeps his swing short and compact. When the swing gets long, which it has a tendency to do, Phelps is an easy strikeout victim. Pitchers try to work Phelps away and then come inside with fastballs. After joining the Tribe, Phelps made seven starts at first base, where he needs work. The Indians worked him out in left field and talked to him about catching. The big man is faster than he looks but no threat to steal.

2005 Outlook

The Indians spent much of last year looking for a righthanded hitter to help them against lefties. Phelps was just what they wanted, but he couldn't get many at-bats because of DH Travis Hafner and first baseman Ben Broussard. The situation probably won't change much this year, and Phelps could be traded.

We already have a guy with a long swing who's an easy strikeout victim. :angry: I also wouldn't want him if he can barely play 1st base.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=6494

We already have a guy with a long swing who's an easy strikeout victim. :angry: I also wouldn't want him if he can barely play 1st base.

Right, if he's awful at 1st...no thanks. But if he were/is servicable at first he'd be a good right handed bat off the bench...seeing as we have no righties off the bench.

Unfortunately, Honel is just another player in the long line of Sox draft busts.

I'm hoping to see Norton back.  He is doing pretty well for Charlotte and he would make a good switch-hitting pinch-hitter that can backup Paulie and maybe even play some 3rd base.  But you're right, it could be either.  Especially with Ozzie's man-love for Burke.

I don't think Norton's been playing, he might be hurt.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
Oh I read it wrong I thought he still had a chance to be grabbed... Didnt someone say Honel was hitting 90 in his last start?

Yeah, they probably just needed room on the 40-man and knew Honel has no shot of making the Sox this year and wouldn probably not get picked up.

Even if Phelps is a butcher at 1B, he'd only need to occasionally spell Konerko at 1B, and is a more dangerous pinch hitter than Timo could ever be. Sure he strikes out a lot, but he's a very dangerous option off the bench.

Yeah, they probably just needed room on the 40-man and knew Honel has no shot of making the Sox this year and wouldn probably not get picked up.

There would have been an easier way of clearing a spot on the 40-man roster -- OMIT TIMO! It's too bad Kenny didn't think of it. :lol:

So do you guys think a trade is in the works or is it just to bring up Burke or Norton?