JON FOCKING GARLAND

sox-r-us

If Joe f***ing Torre manages for the AL during the All-Star Game then I will be real f***ing pissed. Last year, Konerko should have made the All-Star Game, but instead that stupid Yank Giambi got to play. That was horses***. Too bad Giambi really sucks this year.

QUOTE(Hanky Panky @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
If Joe f***ing Torre manages for the AL during the All-Star Game then I will be real f***ing pissed. Last year, Konerko should have made the All-Star Game, but instead that stupid Yank Giambi got to play. That was horses***. Too bad Giambi really sucks this year.

Francona is the Manager.

JON gets it done when he has to. He has the confidence he has needed for years and the biggest reason is because of Ozzie.  Go JON 

:cheers  :cheers  :bringit  :gosox3:

dont get me wrong, i love garland. but for me, you cant get any more consistant than burhle. i think that by seasons end, burhle will have the better ERA and record, probably not by much, but there you have it. burhle's durability is invaluable.

QUOTE(robin_ventura_eternal @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
dont get me wrong, i love garland. but for me, you cant get any more consistant than burhle. i think that by seasons end, burhle will have the better ERA and record, probably not by much, but there you have it. burhle's durability is invaluable.

Maybe a better era, but i doubt he would have a better record.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
We should have traded Jon Garland to the Angels for Darren Focking Erstad

:finger

I was thinking about that trade a few days ago. Realistically, that trade might have gotten us a division title or two bye now. Of course, today, that non-trade looks good for the Sox.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)
I was thinking about that trade a few days ago.  Realistically, that trade might have gotten us a division title or two bye now.  Of course, today, that non-trade looks good for the Sox.

Why would a mediocore erstad have put us over the top and into the playoffs? This guy is extremely overpaid (7.5 this year and 8.5 the next). He also has a no trade clause included into his contract and i will never understand why.

His career ops+ is 98 and his career high is 137. The last four years it looks like this.

2001- 78.

2002- 88.

2003- 75.

2004- 95.

:puke

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
Why would a mediocore erstad have put us over the top and into the playoffs? This guy is extremely overpaid (7.5 this year and 8.5 the next). He also has a no trade clause included into his contract and i will never understand why.

His career ops+ is 98 and his career high is 137. The last four years it looks like this.

2001- 78.

2002- 88.

2003- 75.

2004- 95.

:puke

Erstad was a decent LH stick, something we lacked, and was also a good defensive player. Garland would have had to have been replaced in the rotation, no doubt about that. I'm not saying it's carved in stone, but Erstad was no slouch.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)

Some teams just give away no trade clauses like they're candy. I think that no trade clauses are pretty often signs of a bad GM/Owner. Almost everyone out there can find themselves in a situation where a trade could potentially help the team.

Boston's philosophy is brilliant...they have like 5 guys who immediately get No Trade Clauses if they actually sign anyone to a no trade clause, but since no one has gotten one out of them, they have zero no trade clauses. That's how you structure some contracts.

I can see maybe doing it with a veteran, a guy like Frank who's given a ton of service to your organization...but just as a sign of loyalty. That's the only reason it makes sense to me.

I can see benefits for the Sox in Jon starting. He'd be used to the pressure if we make the playoffs.

I also can see the non-benefits. He doesn't have it and throws BP, gives up 4 homers and is another Atlee Hammaker.

I say start Mark B!

Congrats though to Jon on 10 wins and that base hit.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
I also can see the non-benefits. He doesn't have it and throws BP, gives up 4 homers and is another Atlee Hammaker.

Atlee Hammaker 1983 AS Game at Comiskey - Fred Lynn Grand Slam reference!

:cheers

QUOTE(robin_ventura_eternal @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)

BUERHLE. BUERHLE. BUERHLE.

I can see some mad Sox love coming from Francona b/c he has White Sox connections.

Maybe Garland will start.

But the guy who's been pitching hte best has been Count, if our hitters would step up for Count like they have for Jon.

... you can only imagine.

SAN DIEGO -- How good is Jon Garland starting to feel about his hot start? Garland took a moment Friday night to sarcastically call out a reporter who likened one of his rough spring outings to one of many last season in which one bad inning ended any chance he had at victory.

Garland's tendency to give up the one poor inning in a game is nearly gone this season, but it drove manager Ozzie Guillen crazy in 2004. So when Garland gave up three home runs among nine hits in six innings to Oakland in a spring game March 28 of this year, the writer noted, "It wouldn't have been considered a joke to say [Garland] looked to be in midseason form.''

Garland made it known he was aware of the article, even holding a hard copy of it a few days after he pitched. He'd been invited to keep the copy and throw it in the reporter's face if he did well this season, but he claimed he was "not that type of person'' and instead threw the article in the trash.

After defeating the San Diego Padres on Friday night to earn his 10th victory in the Sox' 60th game, Garland became that type of person when asked if San Diego's spacious Petco Park was a place he'd like to pitch in more often.

"From what I hear,'' Garland said, sensing an opportunity. "I still had a home run hit off me. Back to midseason form, as you said.''

Garland has every right to feel smug. This season, he's 10-2 with a 3.23 ERA after a dozen starts, whereas last season at this point he was 5-3 with a 4.73 ERA.

Run support can't even be cited for Garland's turnaround. The Sox had scored 73 runs in Garland's first 12 starts last season, with 69 in the same number of games this season.

His 10th victory puts him on a wicked pace for 26 victories this season. At the very least, he is one of the favorites to be selected for the July 12 All-Star Game in Detroit.

"If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't,'' Garland said of his potential first All-Star appearance. "I just want to go out and do what I can for my team.''

Anyone know who that reporter was? Im just curious