Want Minnesota to fold and go away?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

Before you all flame away there is a method to my madness.

Back in 2000 we basically won the division in April and May and took the rest of the year off and it showed when Seattle totally schooled us in the playoffs. We got complacent with a big division lead and we fell asleep as a team.

Ideally Id like to see Minny stay 3-5 games back for the rest of the season. That way they keep the Sox honest. If that's the case we'll go into the playoffs sharp and on our toes as opposed to 2000 when we basically backed into the playoffs.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)

Back in 2000 we basically won the division in April and May and took the rest of the year off and it showed when Seattle totally schooled us in the playoffs.  We got complacent with a big division lead and we fell asleep as a team.

Ideally Id like to see Minny stay 3-5 games back for the rest of the season.  That way they keep the Sox honest.  If that's the case we'll go into the playoffs sharp and on our toes as opposed to 2000 when we basically backed into the playoffs.

I'll be happy if the fold starting September 15th. :D

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)

Back in 2000 we basically won the division in April and May and took the rest of the year off and it showed when Seattle totally schooled us in the playoffs.  We got complacent with a big division lead and we fell asleep as a team.

Ideally Id like to see Minny stay 3-5 games back for the rest of the season.  That way they keep the Sox honest.  If that's the case we'll go into the playoffs sharp and on our toes as opposed to 2000 when we basically backed into the playoffs.

As long as we keep taking series, i'm with ya.

The way we're both playing right now, the Sox and Twins could finish with the top 2 records in the AL. If that happened, we'd have a good chance of facing an AL West opponent in a short series. I don't really like the Sox facing anyone from the West in the postseason given our recent history and what happened in 2000.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
The way we're both playing right now, the Sox and Twins could finish with the top 2 records in the AL.  If that happened, we'd have a good chance of facing an AL West opponent in a short series.  I don't really like the Sox facing anyone from the West in the postseason given our recent history and what happened in 2000.

This is a different team. Whatever happen before this year matters none. With our pitching, I like our chances against anybody.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)

Piss on that. I want MIN to be a practical non-factor right around the time we start playing them again. Your "madness" doesn't account for this happening the past couple of years then getting blown out right around July/August/September by MIN whether we were in front of or chasing them.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
The way we're both playing right now, the Sox and Twins could finish with the top 2 records in the AL.  If that happened, we'd have a good chance of facing an AL West opponent in a short series.  I don't really like the Sox facing anyone from the West in the postseason given our recent history and what happened in 2000.

I couldn't believe my ears back in 2000 when Frank Thomas blamed the Sox lack of hitting in that series on "the sun being in their eyes".

:chair :banghead

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
Piss on that. I want MIN to be a practical non-factor right around the time we start playing them again. Your "madness" doesn't account for this happening the past couple of years then getting blown out right around July/August/September by MIN whether we were in front of or chasing them.

The idea, of course, is to keep them at arms length and not fall apart like a bunch of b****es like we did last year.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
The idea, of course, is to keep them at arms length and not fall apart like a bunch of b****es like we did last year.

You want as big a cushion as possible when the team chasing you has the likes of Santana, Radke, Silva, Lohse, Hunter, Ford, Stewart, and Jones.

Screw this checking the standings BS everyday.

And getting a big lead means rest for your playoff starters down the road so they don't get burned out.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)

This makes sense, but 2000's team was entirely different from this one. The Sox have won this year despite slumps from several key hitters. Pitching, defense and speed will win in the playoffs.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
my problem with the Twins being so close right now is that we have the best record in baseball.  we're 41-19, and only have a 5.5 game lead on a 4 game winning streak.

The Twins are a good team. The Sox can only control what they do. If you told me that on June 11th we would have a 5.5 game lead on the team that's owned us for 3 years, i'd gladly take it.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
This makes sense, but 2000's team was entirely different from this one. The Sox have won this year despite slumps from several key hitters. Pitching, defense and speed will win in the playoffs.

Agree on all points but like I said. Complacency kills. I dont care how good a team is.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
Really, it's way too early to start considering the consequences of whether a large or small lead will have an effect on us during the playoffs.

I only bring it up because I saw a lot of posts hemming and hawing about the fact that we can't pull away from Minny ( myself included ) but I got to thinking and its not such a bad thing IMHO to have someone back there pressing us.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
I only bring it up because I saw a lot of posts hemming and hawing about the fact that we can't pull away from Minny ( myself included ) but I got to thinking and its not such a bad thing IMHO to have someone back there pressing us.

I like Ozzie's point of view on this. We don't have to worry about Minnesota if we just keep winning. The pressure is on them.

One thing to keep in mind:

If we win the division and the twinkies win the wild card, we play them in the first round

If we lose the division to them and still win the wilkd card, we still play them in he first round

Who focking cares?

PS: This post assumes the White Sox or Twinkies will be best team in AL if they wint he division.

my problem with the Twins being so close right now is that we have the best record in baseball.  we're 41-19, and only have a 5.5 game lead on a 4 game winning streak.

Calm down then. We have the second biggest lead for 1st place in the MLB. The Cardinals have a 6.5 game lead over the Flubs. We have a 5.5 game lead over the Twinkies.

Edited by Jabroni