Want Minnesota to fold and go away?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
I hope talking about this doesn't jinx us.........

How many times must this be said?

Jinxes and Curses are nothing but poor excuses for losing. If we dont win it aint because someone wrote something on a message board.

:chair

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)

Jinxes and Curses are nothing but poor excuses for losing.  If we dont win it aint because someone wrote something on a message board.

It's a karma thing, no s*** it's not gonna happen just because of a message board realistically. But baseball players are supersticious.........

I don't give a s*** what happens, as long as the Sox make the playoffs and are healthy. All I know is that I'll root for the Twins, Indians, Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Rangers, and Angels to lose every game they play for the rest of the season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
A couple of key injuries and any team can fall apart.

I dont know if you were talking about the Twins or the Sox here. But I can tell you that the Twins have used something like 33 players this year so far.(*EDIT* Now that I think about it, Mauer hasnt been on the DL, but has missed many games because of an injury.) and Morneau have both been on the DL. So has Silva. Yet they are right there with the Sox.

Anyway, I can see the WC coming out of the Central. Not because we play weak team like KC 19 times a year, but becasue both the Sox and Twins have very strong teams this year. The common thread between the 2 teams, excellent pitchers. Which should help both teams if the should make it to the playoffs.

But its not even the 4th of July, so I guess speculating on the postseason is kind of pointless. lol.

Edited by Benchwarmerjim

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 05:41 AM)
Before you all flame away there is a method to my madness. 

Back in 2000 we basically won the division in April and May and took the rest of the year off and it showed when Seattle totally schooled us in the playoffs.  We got complacent with a big division lead and we fell asleep as a team.

Ideally Id like to see Minny stay 3-5 games back for the rest of the season.  That way they keep the Sox honest.  If that's the case we'll go into the playoffs sharp and on our toes as opposed to 2000 when we basically backed into the playoffs.

I disagree - we didn't clinch until the Sunday before the last week of the season. We used a ton of energy to ensure we won that division and had nothing left for the playoffs. We were cooked.

• 2 months later...

Minnesota is not done. They will be a contender in the wild card race for one reason: Johan Santana. If he pitches like he has the last 2 times out and he is fully capable of doing this than he is the kind of pitcher who can carry a staff. Just look at last year. I think this Minnesota team is dangerous to make a run at the playoffs. Plus this series could do to them what the Astros series against the Cubs did to the Astros. Not getting past the Sox however making a serious push towards the Wild Card.

The last few seasons around this time I've pored over the Sox schedule trying to figure out how many games they could pick up against the Twins week by week to have a shot. Of course, those plans went into the s***ter every September.

If I were a Twins fan (forgive me, lord) and looking at the schedule, I would be hoping to pick up two more games this weekend and be 10 back heading into the match up next week. Of course, after what happened in Chicago, they'll be thinking sweep or at least 2 of 3. Sweep leaves them 7 back, 2/3 leaves them 9 back.

If they get to 7 games back going into September the Sox sphincter factor will be at DEFCON 5. :ph34r:

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Well, Twins are on the verge of winning another game.  They just seem to dominate teams the last 50 games of the season or so.  I can't believe that anyone could have ever said they'd like to see the Twins stay close to the Sox.

Like I said earlier, the logic is that it forces the Sox to stay sharp. Remember how in 2000 the Sox ran out to a huge lead then were flat as could be in the second half and cruised into the playoffs and got swept cause they weren't sharp? Thats what Im afraid is happening now, the parallels are too strong to ignore.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 03:32 AM)
Like I said earlier,  the logic is that it forces the Sox to stay sharp.  Remember how in 2000 the Sox ran out to a huge lead then were flat as could be in the second half and cruised into the playoffs and got swept cause they weren't sharp?  Thats what Im afraid is happening now,  the parallels are too strong to ignore.

One big difference between 2000 and this season in regards to a team chasing the Sox is that the Twins have all the confidence in the world when they face the Sox. Also, the 2000 team was clearly better than any team in their division. I'm not so sure the Sox are clearly better than the Indians and Twins this season.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Like I said earlier,  the logic is that it forces the Sox to stay sharp.  Remember how in 2000 the Sox ran out to a huge lead then were flat as could be in the second half and cruised into the playoffs and got swept cause they weren't sharp?  Thats what Im afraid is happening now,  the parallels are too strong to ignore.

I'm more of a believer that you get into the playoffs by any means necessary, and then anything can basically happen after that.

Although going in with momentum is good, right now I just wanna get in with a decent lead to relieve any pressure and to have our team as healthy as possible...

I just want us to play good ball.

We must play good ball or we are screwed in the postseason.

I know ... how simplistic and dumb.

I only care about our team.

I want us to stay sharp, play good baseball.

We're only going to go as far as our pitching and D takes us. Our lineup is spotty

folks.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
I just want us to play good ball.

We must play good ball or we are screwed in the postseason.

I know ... how simplistic and dumb.

I only care about our team.

I want us to stay sharp, play good baseball.

We're only going to go as far as our pitching and D takes us. Our lineup is spotty

folks.

simplistic and smart

I want the Twins eliminated AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!

They are HOT right now. L10 7-3. Won 5 in a row. Could sweep the M's.

The next time we face them they could be just 9 gms back. If they win that series then it shrinks to 7 gms. If they beat us in Sept it shrinks to 3 gms. Since we close out with DET & CLE that would be bad. Very bad.

To go from the best record in MLB to having to beat both DET & CLE just to win the division would put tremendous pressure on this team. If we lost those 2 series we would be a laughing-stock.

No thank you. I want no part of that future. The sooner we clinch the better.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)

Jinxes and Curses are nothing but poor excuses for losing.  If we dont win it aint because someone wrote something on a message board.

Bartman was an absolute jinx! And so were the idiot fans around him who didn't body slam that boy to the ground to get OUT OF THE WAY! I blame the idiots around him more than anything. That play single handedly cost the Scrubs the WS. THAT IS FINAL! I would have taken that moron down so fast he wouldve thought his muther in law hit em. :fight