Politte should pitch to lefties

VAfan

Has anyone looked at the splits for our bullpen pitchers?

Marte and Cotts are much better against right handed batters than they are against lefties. It is enough of a split that if I were manager I wouldn't bring them in just to try to get a lefty out. True, they are better against lefties than Hermanson or Vizcaino, and about the same as Takatsu.

But the prize for getting lefties out among our bullpen members must to go - surprise - Cliff Politte!

:huh

I disagree. As Cotts continues to improve with his command, he'll get tougher on lefties. Not only that, but just as there are pitchers who do better against lefty or right hitters, there are hitters who hit better vs rhp or lhp. There are a lot of lefties that struggle mightily against lefty pitching (even Jim Parque could have success on some lefties).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Take a guy like Klesko last night, who has all 11 of his homers against rhp this season.  I would much rather have Cotts face Klesko than Politte.

Our Bullpen is starting to turn into a pretty good bullpen against righties, but I'm a bit concerned by our performance against the lefties.

Hermanson is killing righties, but lefties are hitting over 300 against him.

Cotts...well um, right handers seem to be hitting...get this....071 against Cotts. Lefties are hitting .278 against him.

Marte...same sort of thing, righties hit .213 against him, lefties = .293.

Politte...well lefties are hitting .174 against him and righties are hitting .140, so right now I could care less who he faces.

Vizcaino and Shingo are struggling against both, although Viz has a history of being tough on lefties - just not this year, and Shingo last year was really tough on righties.

Someone's gonna have to step up & get a little better against the lefties. Cotts or Marte are good candidates.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Vizcaino and Shingo are struggling against both,

Vizcaino is not struggling against righties. They are hitting .219 against him. Not particularly amazing but he isnt struggling. Vizcaino is struggling against lefties. They are hitting .386.

Shingo is bad against everybody.

Note: vizcaino's ERA is down to 5.60 and is at 3.18 in his last 10 appearances and 0.00 in June.

Edited by Chisoxmatt

As long as he can continue to improve his command, let Cotts handle the lefties. Hell I could see Neal taking over permanently as the LH setup man if he continues to deal like he has lately.