What I loved about last nite game

greg775

In watching the game on mlb.com I thought the Sox looked like Boston did last year, sharp, hungry.

Rowand comes up with that ball on his diving catch, even though the replay shows he took quite an awkward tumble. Unlike Patterson in the Sox-Cubs game, he comes up with the ball somehow. No excuses, just a great catch to save the night.

Crede makes some tough stops at third look like routine plays.

Garland gets out of the seventh and our bullpen gets it done.

We just looked like a gutsy winning team instead of sleepwalkers.

Perfect description of one of the reasons we're winning.

In 2000, we might not have had the best team out there, but we won the most games by a good spread. Why? Because every night, we'd pick each other up. Someone would get the big hit or make the big pitch to win the game.

This team has better pitching & better defense, but they have that same friendly attitude where everyone is working together. I think that can really help, and it probably was one of the driving forces in the Boston clubhouse last fall.

I never want to be compared to Boston.

We are playing our own brand of baseball, much different than any other team.

Sure we may look sharp and hungry like Boston, but we're a lot different than that team. A veteran based ballclub who went out and bought a World Series with Curt Schilling.

This Sox team, with homegrown talent like Buehrle and Rowand, combined with Garland, Garcia, Count and a solid vet in the Duke round out a solid rotation. Not sexy, but solid indeed. A mix of speed, Harris, Pods, Ozuna, with solid veteran leadership, Konerko, Dye, Everett, Thomas and solid defense Uribe, Crede. And how could you forget one of our huge keys in AJ.

Essentially, the Red Sox bought a World Series, just like the Yankees.

Foulke? Bought. Cabrera? Bought. Ramirez? Bought. Schilling? Bought. Ortiz? Bought. The list goes on.

They had one homegrown player, who rarely played last year in Trot Nixon. I'd like to think if this Sox team won, they won based on smart decisions by KW in acquiring talent via trades, smart free agent signings and an agressive style from Ozzie.

And may I add this...

:fyou Red Sox

Great points Azod.

I just thought in terms of balls out hard nosed play. I'm not a Boston

lover by any means.

Bullets hit to Crede and he has no problem making it look easy, etc.

I definitely tip my cap to Kenny W. who I once thought was a buffoon.

He certainly makes anybody like me eat my words. He's put together quite

a team.

We are not Boston.

We are not the Cubs.

We are not the Southside Hitmen, were not the GoGo Sox

Were not the '00, the '94 Sox.

Were the 2005 Chicago White Sox and were changing the face of the game with our style of play. Were something different and new. There are no comparisons, there are no parameters to grade how we'll do in the playoffs or how we'll close out the season.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
I never want to be compared to Boston.

We are playing our own brand of baseball, much different than any other team.

Sure we may look sharp and hungry like Boston, but we're a lot different than that team.  A veteran based ballclub who went out and bought a World Series with Curt Schilling.

This Sox team, with homegrown talent like Buehrle and Rowand, combined with Garland, Garcia, Count and a solid vet in the Duke round out a solid rotation.  Not sexy, but solid indeed. A mix of speed, Harris, Pods, Ozuna, with solid veteran leadership, Konerko, Dye, Everett, Thomas and solid defense Uribe, Crede.  And how could you forget one of our huge keys in AJ.

Essentially, the Red Sox bought a World Series, just like the Yankees.

Foulke? Bought.  Cabrera? Bought.  Ramirez? Bought.  Schilling? Bought.  Ortiz? Bought.  The list goes on.

They had one homegrown player, who rarely played last year in Trot Nixon.  I'd like to think if this Sox team won, they won based on smart decisions by KW in acquiring talent via trades, smart free agent signings and an agressive style from Ozzie.

And may I add this...

:fyou Red Sox

You're lucky you don't have to live with those people. For all their "evil empire" bs talk, you'd think they had a 20 million dollar payroll and earned that championship.

I agree. :fyou , Red Sox

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
Great points Azod.

I just thought in terms of balls out hard nosed play. I'm not a Boston

lover by any means.

Bullets hit to Crede and he has no problem making it look easy, etc.

I definitely tip my cap to Kenny W. who I once thought was a buffoon.

He certainly makes anybody like me eat my words. He's put together quite

a team.

After the 2002 and 2003 seasons everyone, especially me, wanted Kenny's head on a plate but lately he's made some really solid moves and our record reflects them. I guess even I can learn to forgive and forget.