Hermanson

Jake

I think you would have to be a fool not to notice how many of Hermanson's saves have come after awesome defensive plays by guys like Crede and Uribe. Hermanson is good but he isn't that great, folks. Especially not against a team like the Padres that have seen him a lot.

Edited by Jabroni

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
Shingo could have been in (purely Devil's advocate here) -- pitcher's park, players not familiar with him...

It was a team loss.  RISP and can't get them in, especially when Mark, Pod and Iguchi all K'ed with runners on the corners.  The offense s*** itself tonight.  Ozzie couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag tonight...Frank/Everett on the bench, PH for Mark.  And goddamnit, it'd be nice if we had a person who could play 1B on the bench.  That way, there could have been a pinch runner for Slonerko who could have gotten in safely on that play.  Putting in an already struggling Hermanson was just the coup de grace.

Hit the nail right on the head...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
I think you would have to be a fool not to notice how many of Hermanson's saves have come after awesome defensive plays by guys like Crede and Uribe.  Hermanson is good but he isn't that great, folks.  Especially not against a team like the Padres that have seen him a lot.

I agree and its why I think if KW makes a major trade, relief pitching will be acquired.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
No, he's been topping out at about 89 mph all season.  But it hasn't been his fastball which made him successful, it was his ability to get ahead in the count against the hitter, and then throw his splitter.

It could be a matter of splitting hairs here. And these guns give different readings. But the loss of 3 or perhaps 5 MPH can be critical. His out pitch has been the splitter, but the threat of his fastball sets it up. The threat doesn't seem to be there at the moment. The baseball world seems to be catching up to him, in general. I think this is going to provide further impetus for Kenny to go after another reliever.

I said and I'm sure most of you did too, that we were gonna lose after the eighth.

I thought he was safe at the plate and for some reason I didn't sense a 1-0 win tonite.

s*** happens; hope we can win the rubber game.

As far as Dustin, you can't be perfect forever, but I still think before it' sover we need bullpen by committee.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:52 AM)
It could be a matter of splitting hairs here.  And these guns give different readings.  But the loss of 3 or perhaps 5 MPH can be critical.  His out pitch has been the splitter, but the threat of his fastball sets it up.  The threat doesn't seem to be there at the moment.  The baseball world seems to be catching up to him, in general.  I think this is going to provide further impetus for Kenny to go after another reliever.

Hermanson always seems to throw that little cutter/slider to try and get ahead of the count on hitters. I can probably count on one hand the number of times he's actually thrown a fastball past a hitter this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
I'll admit an astonishing thing that happened tonight.....I actually wanted Neal Cotts to come in to close the game in the 9th.  Kudos to Cotts for his amazing improvements lately.

^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
As far as Dustin, you can't be perfect forever, but I still think before it' sover we need bullpen by committee.

That may well end being true again but even I wont jump all over Hermey for one bad outing. I'm pissed off that MB got f***ed over again but you can thank the lack of offense for that one.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:57 AM)
That may well end being true again but even I wont jump all over Hermey for one bad outing.  I'm pissed off that MB got f***ed over again but you can thank the lack of offense for that one.

The scary thing is that this wasn't just one bad outing by Hermanson. He has now given up runs in 5 of his last 7 outings (2 games had unearned runs, even though one was totally Hermanson's fault, and the other was a terrible error call on Rowand).

The scary thing is that this wasn't just one bad outing by Hermanson.  He has now given up runs in 5 of his last 7 outings (2 games had unearned runs, even though one was totally Hermanson's fault, and the other was a terrible error call on Rowand).

And once again, Hermanson has gotten a few saves on awesome defensive plays to end the inning.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
Hermanson always seems to throw that little cutter/slider to try and get ahead of the count on hitters.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times he's actually thrown a fastball past a hitter this year.

I hear ya. But back to the original point - don't you think that he has been showing a loss in velocity? And does this loss not coincide with his sudden loss of effectiveness during his last 8, or so, appearances?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
In his last 6.1 innings , he has allowed 8 runs, 5 earned and has suffered 2 losses. That's Shingoesque.

You know, your Shingoesque. And all of you guys love to b**** and rat a guy outta town over one blown save. No one ever said winning was a pretty thing, winning ugly is sweet.

I agree with Nuke to not jump on Hermy after one bad outing. It had to happen sooner or later.

And I agree with whomever said to ride the hot hand.

Hopefully Oz will continue doing that. Hermy has been hot as hell, if he blows the next two of three saves or something like that, then it may be Shingo time again.

Surely Shingo has been working on something during his demotion time.

Or Marte if he's not hurt.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 05:03 AM)
I agree with Nuke to not jump on Hermy after one bad outing. It had to happen sooner or later.

Hopefully Oz will continue doing that. Hermy has been hot as hell, if he blows the next two of three saves or something like that, then it may be Shingo time again.

We can't count on Shingo or Marte to close games. Both of them have been extremely inconsistent this season. Quite simply, we have 2 reliable relievers right now in Cotts and Politte.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)

I didn't make this topic to b**** about him having a blown save. I made this topic because I can't figure out where his velocity has gone.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
We can't count on Shingo or Marte to close games.  Both of them have been extremely inconsistent this season.  Quite simply, we have 2 reliable relievers right now in Cotts and Politte.

Hermanson has blown 1 save and he isn't reliable. Unreal. I honestly can't believ that after all the Hermanson love, 1 blown save will change people's minds.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
Hermanson has blown 1 save and he isn't reliable. Unreal. I honestly can't believ that after all the Hermanson love, 1 blown save will change people's minds.

No, Hermanson is unreliable right now because of numbers that have been posted atleast 3 times in this thread already(5 runs in his last 7 outings). You call that reliable?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
No, Hermanson is unreliable right now because of numbers that have been posted atleast 3 times in this thread already(5 runs in his last 7 outings).  You call that reliable?

You are lucky that hermanson has been mostly giving up unearned runs lately. ;)

I don't mind the loss even though I feel bad for Mark. But tonight proved what I've been feeling for awhile; we do not have a closer. Herrmanson was shaky in Anaheim, and not very good last night and horrible tonight. Not to mention the bad outing he had at The Cell last week. Shingo is not the pitcher he was last year, and now we have a real problem.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
No, Hermanson is unreliable right now because of numbers that have been posted atleast 3 times in this thread already(5 runs in his last 7 outings).  You call that reliable?

Wow, this thread is pathetic..really Are we really that petty of fans? We're now hoping we can trade for a closer I think i read...Hermanson has been unreliable?!?!?

Good grief..no wonder its hard for me to post alot here..My head is gonna explode from all the trivial, ridicules, jumping ship, world is gonna end, Ozzy is a moron crap and its getting pretty tired..I wonder what we would be saying if we were say5 games over .500 and in 2nd place..Or 2 games under...shutter

My opinion...He just needs maybe 2 full days off..3 would be excellent and I guarantee he'll look lights out again... I just think he's been over worked alot the last 9 games or so..3 straight days here...one day off then another 2 straight games..one game off the 2 more straight games...

Like I said, 2 or 3 games off should do wonders

:headshake

Its just hard to take anyone serious when you got to one extreme to another in a game or so. We have the best record in base, but Ozzy is a moron and we're stuck with him for another 3 years..Neal Cotts has been a bad relief pitcher and now all of a sudden we want him closing games for us...Hermanson has been one of the best closers in the AL this year and he's not getting 1-2-3 innings for us anymore and now we should trade for a closer now..Cause that ERA has ballooned almost to 2

You can't start whining cause Hermanson hasn't been lights out the past 3 or 4 games he's pitched in a season of 162 games. That's ridicules..You're judging him for a week or less of games.Now how does that sound to you?

Hey, i guess I'm a moron for trying to keep things in perspective rather then crying wolf through our so called 'Crisis' of Hermanson.

Edited by GASHWOUND

RECENTLY Hermanson has pitched questionably.

Only in his last few times in has it started to show.

Honestly, I believe that he has a tired arm/tendonitis.

In my opinon, and my opinion only; Hermanson should not have pitched tonight. I had that opinion BEFORE he pitched tonight, due to watching him pitch in the last week or so.

He is missing something right now that he had earlier in the year.

What it is... I don't know.

Shingo got over being removed as closer, so will Hermy IF it ever happens. This is about winning, NOT stroking egos. Cotts is hot right now, I say let him have a shot at it the next time that there is a save opportunity.

Edited by knightni