Willie Harris should be done!

Boxer83080

Why does Ozzie waste his time with Willie Harris? Today 0-4, failed bunt attempt to move runner over, strike out with runner on. I loved the fact that he pulled him later in the game for the double switch, but do you guys think we can get anyone for him in a trade?

Timo Perez - .212/.268/.571

Willie Harris - .237/.328/.566

Just putting that out there. There would be a market for Harris, and he could probably be a starting 2nd baseman on some teams. Considering he has minor league options left though, we won't be trading him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Timo Perez - .212/.268/.571

Willie Harris - .237/.328/.566

Just putting that out there. There would be a market for Harris, and he could probably be a starting 2nd baseman on some teams. Considering he has minor league options left though, we won't be trading him.

Willie Harris can bunt, run, and play defense. Timo can um, uh, well, Timo is clutch. :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
Willie Harris can bunt, run, and play defense.  Timo can um, uh, well, Timo is clutch. :bang

timo is so good at defense he only needs 1 hand to catch flyballs!

:banghead

Willie is an excellent defensive 2B, has great speed, and has shown an ability to draw walks and get on base. Despite today's failed bunt effort, he has shown he can lay down a good bunt this year.

Willie stays. Timo should go. Everett plays outfield as well as Timo, and Willie plays CF better than Timo. When Gload is ready to return, he fills the backup 1B slot, plus he's a better LH pinch hitter than Timo.

We won the game and still have the best record in baseball. Willie Harris gets to play maybe one or two games a week and we expect him to homer every at bat? Let's support our players a bit more than that please. When the Sox don't perform well there is plenty of blame to go around and when they win there is plenty of praise to go around. One player doesn't make or break the team. It's a team effort and this team plays well together. Willie has contributed to the success of the Sox.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
Then we'd have no IF depth...at all.  No.

remember dye can play shortstop :lol:

widger can play third ;)

i forgot we dont have another player capable of infield, a two for one trade allows us to bring up gload, and depending on who we can get for the bench we would be alright

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
willie has more years left in him than timo, im sure some team out there is looking for a left handed bat off the bench, maybe we could somehow package him and ozuna

"Mr. DePodesta, we have Ken Williams on the line."

DePodesta: "What is it Ken? We haven't talked since you tried to trade me Billy Koch for a turkey sandwich."

KW: "How about this? Willie Harris and Pablo Ozuna for Yhency Brazoban."

DePodesta: "Nice try."

KW: "How about you buy me lunch Friday?"

DePodesta: "I'll think about it."

(I edited in Harris for Perez, the joke is the same, but more accurate to what you were saying)

Edited by AirScott

I might be the most vocal Harris-basher on this board (sorry Steff :P ) and yet I still endorse sending Timo WAY WAY WAY before sending Willie.

A) Wille has tremendous range--a noodle arm--but first-class range at second

B ) He is the team's current backup middle infielder (Ozuna...ha)

C) Although the pipsqueek can't seem to understand how to steal a base, he has awesome speed off the bench

The Sox organization would be foolish to re-assign or trade Willie at this point--he's an injury away from being a starter and the probable starter on a good fifth of the league's teams.

Willie shouldn't be traded for sure... I mean he was one of our best bench players just a few weeks ago. He doesn't get hardly any playing time. IF he got half of Timo's at bats I honestly think he would be out hitting him by at least 50 points. Willie will be fine. Timo is a loser.

Edited by Jeckle2000

If there's going to be market for Harris, the Sox will most likely want a reliever in return. A team like Milwaulkee that just dealt Junior Spivey, could want Harris to platoon with Rickie Weeks for a while. The Sox could have interest in a guy like Ricky Bottalico, or Julio Santana. Just something to consider, the Sox do have Ricky Gutierrez down at Charlotte IIRC.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
"Mr. DePodesta, we have Ken Williams on the line."

DePodesta:  "What is it Ken?  We haven't talked since you tried to trade me Billy Koch for a turkey sandwich."

KW:  "How about this?  Willie Harris and Pablo Ozuna for Yhency Brazoban."

DePodesta:  "Nice try."

KW:  "How about you buy me lunch Friday?"

DePodesta:  "I'll think about it."

(I edited in Harris for Perez, the joke is the same, but more accurate to what you were saying)

The funny thing is that its the Billy Koch trade that is saving our bullpen right now. :bang

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
Willie is an excellent defensive 2B, has great speed, and has shown an ability to draw walks and get on base.  Despite today's failed bunt effort, he has shown he can lay down a good bunt this year.

Willie stays.  Timo should go.  Everett plays outfield as well as Timo, and Willie plays CF better than Timo.  When Gload is ready to return, he fills the backup 1B slot, plus he's a better LH pinch hitter than Timo.

Yes, but Willie is disliked in the clubhouse, just food for thought.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
Yes, but Willie is disliked in the clubhouse, just food for thought.

How do you know he is disliked in the clubhouse? I don't mean to sound like a dick, i'm just curious to know how you found this out.

Edited by sayitanitso

With Willie, I keep thinking about how useful it is to have a fast guy on the bench entirely for pinch-running situations.

Think about this situation...bottom of 8th inning in the playoffs, down by 1 run, Konerko or Thomas get a single to lead off an inning. If Pods is starting in left (and he damn well better be), who do we send in to run if we don't have Willie? Gload?

Willie Harris should stay on this team for the same reason Dave Roberts stayed on Boston last year; he can do good things as a designated pinch runner. That way, you don't need a triple to score Paulie from third.

With Willie, I keep thinking about how useful it is to have a fast guy on the bench entirely for pinch-running situations.

Think about this situation...bottom of 8th inning in the playoffs, down by 1 run, Konerko or Thomas get a single to lead off an inning.  If Pods is starting in left (and he damn well better be), who do we send in to run if we don't have Willie?  Gload?

Willie Harris should stay on this team for the same reason Dave Roberts stayed on Boston last year; he can do good things as a designated pinch runner.  That way, you don't need a triple to score Paulie from third.

Until we have a backup 1st baseman on the roster, it won't matter. Ozzie sticks with Konerko on the bases in late innings because we don't have anyone else that can play 1st base.

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
How do you know he is disliked in the clubhouse? I don't mean to sound like a dick, i'm just curious to know how you found this out.

Whenevr I see Willie in the club house he is looking like he is having a good time with the guys, Also wasnt there an article somewhere saying Willie accepts being a backup and really enjoys being on this team?

This is my last post on the Timo/Willie issue.

-Willie can't steal? 81% sure aint bad for the career. ESPECIALLY when compared to Timo Supremo's 50%.

-Bunting I would consider a draw. While Willie is a pretty solid bunter I have to admit Timo get's the job done.

-Willie's a better contract hitter.

-The most insane stat of all. Willie has 2 more walks than Timo in 216 LESS GAMES.

-Obviously Willie has superior range. even in the OF I would say.

-The only thing I can think of the Timo has Willie on is arm. Whoop dee doo that's nothing to keep him on the roster for.

-Oh and Timo has better power, but that's like saying which midget is taller.

OMIT TIMO - FREE WILLIE

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Could We play Crede at first base and have Ozuna or Uribe at third to give Konerko a rest when needed, until Gload comes back.

If Ozzie hasn't put Crede at First base at all yet this year despite having no one on the roster who can back up Konerko, something tells me there's a reason why.