Giants release reliever Jim Brower...

Jabroni

Giants release Brower; more moves to come?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2083592

The Giants released Matt Herges earlier in the season. Herges served as the Giants closer and Brower was the primary set-up man most of last season.

"When things are going the way they are going some jobs are going to be lost," Alou said. "What happened to Jimmy I don't know. His stuff is still there and when I look up at the fastball I see 94."

Brower is an inning-eater and he can apparently still throw 94. He is off to a really rough start but he had a pretty good season last year. Our 40-man roster is only at 39 right now. Would he be worth picking up with the hopes that he could turn it around with a winning team? I don't see how he could be any worse than Shingo.

RotoWorld's take...

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...ort=MLB&id=6337

Latest News  Jun. 12, 2005 - 7:58 pm et

Giants released RHP Jim Brower.

Brower was a big asset for the Giants the past two years, but he had a 6.53 ERA and a 1.81 WHIP in 32 appearances this season. Maybe a switch to the American League would help him, as most everyone in the NL has seen his slider several times.

Jim Brower's career stats

Edited by Jabroni

Here's the thing Jabroni everything you said about Brower can be said about Shingo except the 94 mph fastball of course. Anyways I'm not sure it's worth it to mess with the roster for a guy who might find his way back kind of like Shingo. Obviously now if Kenny thinks he found something in his mechanics that is fixable or thinks he knows what's wrong with the guy then that's a different story.

Here's the thing Jabroni everything you said about Brower can be said about Shingo except the 94 mph fastball of course.  Anyways I'm not sure it's worth it to mess with the roster for a guy who might find his way back kind of like Shingo.  Obviously now if Kenny thinks he found something in his mechanics that is fixable or thinks he knows what's wrong with the guy then that's a different story.

The problem with Shingo is that he can't get his one good pitch, the frisbee, over the plate. Then he gets a 3-0 count and has to throw his weak sauce 85 MPH meatball over the heart of the plate. Without good control, Shingo is worthless.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
The problem with Shingo is that he can't get his one good pitch, the frisbee, over the plate.  Then he gets a 3-0 count and has to throw his weak sauce 85 MPH meatball over the heart of the plate.  Without good control, Shingo is worthless.

Agreed but he can all the sudden find his release point and get back to what he did last year kind of like Brower can do, I'm just not sure if it's worth it to pick up one guy who could pick it up just as Shingo could do. Unless it's a sure thing it doesn't make sense imo to mess with the current crop especially when it comes to shingo.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:34 AM)
The problem with Shingo is that he can't get his one good pitch, the frisbee, over the plate.  Then he gets a 3-0 count and has to throw his weak sauce 85 MPH meatball over the heart of the plate.  Without good control, Shingo is worthless.

You do realize you said Meatball and Sauce in the same sentence? Don't you? :D

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
That's the problem with Brower.  I wish he was a lefty.  We need a lefty reliever more than anything.

With Neal Cotts coming around, I beg to differ. A right hander would be much more helpful to the Sox bullpen.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
With Neal Cotts coming around, I beg to differ. A right hander would be much more helpful to the Sox bullpen.

The thing is with Cotts, his splits against righties are much better than against lefties. So, Marte is effectively our only lefty reliever who can get lefties out.

Righties - .071/.264/.071

Lefties - .270/.282/.378

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
Agreed but he can all the sudden find his release point and get back to what he did last year kind of like Brower can do, I'm just not sure if it's worth it to pick up one guy who could pick it up just as Shingo could do.  Unless it's a sure thing it doesn't make sense imo to mess with the current crop especially when it comes to shingo.

Shingo is a true pro, he has played many years overseas and had extreme success, pitchers often run into patches where the ball just doesnt come out the same way, he will find it again, look for a July resurrgence.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Yeah, we dumped Koch for a nothing prospect in Wilson Valdez and also had to send Florida cash.   :huh

What is a Nothing Prospect?? :huh

If he's a nothing he can't be a Prospect :unsure:

Edited by JoshPR

Nothing prospect, or a good reserve player and part time starter?

Valdez wasn't much of a prospect when we got him. He was a 26-27 year old SS playing in the minors. The main reason he was playing on major league rosters this season is because of injuries and his good defense. Valdez was hitting .198 this season before the Padres acquired him and assigned him to the minors. My main point is that we didn't get much for Koch. It was pretty much a dump-job.

What is a Nothing Prospect??  :huh

If he's a nothing he can't be a Prospect :unsure:

As in "mediocre."

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 03:42 AM)
So, Marte is effectively our only lefty reliever who can get lefties out.

Did you check Marte's R/L splits? He's the same thing as Cotts, although not as good.

Righties .213/.362/.404

Lefties .293/.356/.439

I'm also a bit amazed that the OBP for righties is higher than the lefties even though righties are hitting 80 points lower off of Marte. Walks, walks, walks.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
Sure why not bring him in, he can't be worse than Shingo.

He was awesoem in 03 and 04 for the Giants.

So wait, you want to get rid of a guy who has been horrible this year, and awesome last year, for a guy who has been horrible this year, because he was awesome last year? uh, ok. :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
So wait, you want to get rid of a guy who has been horrible this year, and awesome last year, for a guy who has been horrible this year, because he was awesome last year? uh, ok. :bang

of course, you know thats the case on this board.

We always like to talk about getting rid of someone to bring in the same person in another form. Making moves just to make moves is Soxtalk's forte

of course, you know thats the case on this board.

We always like to talk about getting rid of someone to bring in the same person in another form.  Making moves just to make moves is Soxtalk's forte

I'd rather see a 94 MPH fastball get thrown over the plate than an 85 MPH meatball.