Will Ozzie be an All-Star Coach

Southside hitmen

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
It will be so cool to have Guillen as one of the coaches and I think the team should have at least 5 allstars..

my all stars would be

Pods

Iguchi

Buehrle

Garland

Hermanson

You WILL NOT be seeing Iguchi in the All-Star game, I garuentee it. They will not carry 3 second baseman. Soriano and Roberts have much better numbers than Iguchi, especially Roberts who will no doubt start the game barring an injury. The same thing goes for Pods there are many more players with betters overall numbers than Pods.

I seriously doubt that Pods will make the AS Team either. While he's stolen a ton of bases, he's not exactly hitting like .330 or anything. Ichiro still has a better BA than Pods, and he fills the "speedy outfielder" role well enough.

Besides, isn't the outfield one place where you usually find plenty of power hitters in the AS Game? I get the feeling that we're going to see some guys who normally play other positions get shunted to left...Let's run down the guaranteed outfield All stars

M. Ramirez

J. Damon

Vlad the Impaler

Ichiro

Torii Hunter

Probably Garret Anderson

Well, maybe there's a slot open, but I don't think it'll go to Pods with all the other names to choose from.

I like the acclaim and notoriety of the All Star game, but I really dont mind the team getting a small vacation to relax and prepare for the second half(more like the last third) of the season.

One thing I wish I could see one more time is Frank Thomas in the HR derby, though. He was always awesome, even if it did mess up his swing a bit.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
I like the acclaim and notoriety of the All Star game, but I really dont mind the team getting a small vacation to relax and prepare for the second half(more like the last third) of the season. 

One thing I wish I could see one more time is Frank Thomas in the HR derby, though. He was always awesome, even if it did mess up his swing a bit.

Frank could handle it, but he was in his 2 HR derbies when he was on the top of his game (94 and 95). It was PK that kind of fell off after the HR derby.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
I seriously doubt that Pods will make the AS Team either.  While he's stolen a ton of bases, he's not exactly hitting like .330 or anything.  Ichiro still has a better BA than Pods, and he fills the "speedy outfielder" role well enough.

Besides, isn't the outfield one place where you usually find plenty of power hitters in the AS Game?  I get the feeling that we're going to see some guys who normally play other positions get shunted to left...Let's run down the guaranteed outfield All stars

M. Ramirez

J. Damon

Vlad the Impaler

Ichiro

Torii Hunter

Probably Garret Anderson

Well, maybe there's a slot open, but I don't think it'll go to Pods with all the other names to choose from.

Sheffield.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Frank could handle it, but he was in his 2 HR derbies when he was on the top of his game (94 and 95).  It was PK that kind of fell off after the HR derby.

Konerko fell off afterwards, but Frank complained that the HR derby messed up his swing and that is why he started declining the invitations.

I keep hearing Paulie is gonna go. there aren't a lot of 1B in the AL that are tearing it up right now. Morneau is better but been hurt. Maybe Tino, but he's fallen off after that big couple of weeks. And if Paulie keeps hitting well, and gets his average over .250, his power will get him into the ASG. Let's hope he doesn't do the HR derby though.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
I keep hearing Paulie is gonna go.  there aren't a lot of 1B in the AL that are tearing it up right now.  Morneau is better but been hurt.  Maybe Tino, but he's fallen off after that big couple of weeks.  And if Paulie keeps hitting well, and gets his average over .250, his power will get him into the ASG.  Let's hope he doesn't do the HR derby though.

Taco Texaria down in Arlington is a top 3 first baseman in MLB, he should be in it along with his teammate 2nd basemn who has 15 HRs.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
I keep hearing Paulie is gonna go.  there aren't a lot of 1B in the AL that are tearing it up right now.  Morneau is better but been hurt.  Maybe Tino, but he's fallen off after that big couple of weeks.  And if Paulie keeps hitting well, and gets his average over .250, his power will get him into the ASG.  Let's hope he doesn't do the HR derby though.

I think Tino is going to be voted in. That Yankees market has so many people, and lots of them remember his good years and that 5 hr tear he went on earlier this year.

I don't know why anyone is mentioning Konerko and All-Star in the same sentence. Is it because of his 15 HRs? I know it's not because of his .242 average. Tino Martinez more than likely will get the starting nod, with Mark Texeira backing him up. Their hitters just aren't putting up good enough numbers to go. The Sox all-stars more than likely will be Garland, Buehrle and/or Hermanson. If they have more than two, it will be cool but surprising.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I don't know why anyone is mentioning Konerko and All-Star in the same sentence.  Is it because of his 15 HRs?  I know it's not because of his .242 average.  Tino Martinez more than likely will get the starting nod, with Mark Texeira backing him up.  Their hitters just aren't putting up good enough numbers to go.  The Sox all-stars more than likely will be Garland, Buehrle and/or Hermanson.  If they have more than two,  it will be cool but surprising.

I think one of the biggest reasons that people keep mentionning Konerko and All Star in the same line is that Paulie was probably the most blatant snub from the team last year - Torre put Giambi on that team as a 1st baseman, and Paulie ended up being out-voted for the last spot by Matsui.

120 RBI's, 41 home runs is a pretty All-Star worthy set of numbers, IMHO.

Question for you...Paulie's been hitting over .300 for like the last 3 weeks...how high would he need to get his average and RBI's for you to call him a legitimate AS Candidate (don't forget, there's also a DH spot in the order this year, and Ortiz can't be the only guy who fills that slot, so they could carry an extra 1b bat).

And anywho, I kind of hope Paulie doesn't end up going, because I'd rather have him get the rest/finish moving those lawn chairs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
I think one of the biggest reasons that people keep mentionning Konerko and All Star in the same line is that Paulie was probably the most blatant snub from the team last year - Torre put Giambi on that team as a 1st baseman, and Paulie ended up being out-voted for the last spot by Matsui.

120 RBI's, 41 home runs is a pretty All-Star worthy set of numbers, IMHO.

Question for you...Paulie's been hitting over .300 for like the last 3 weeks...how high would he need to get his average and RBI's for you to call him a legitimate AS Candidate (don't forget, there's also a DH spot in the order this year, and Ortiz can't be the only guy who fills that slot, so they could carry an extra 1b bat).

And anywho, I kind of hope Paulie doesn't end up going, because I'd rather have him get the rest/finish moving those lawn chairs.

I agree, he was the ultimate snub last year and putting him and Big Frank in the final 32 didn't help either. I think if he can put him .avg up to around .270 by around the end of the month (especially since they're playing the Cubs, who he always annihilates), then he should start getting some consideration. Then maybe he can go and claim his MVP trophy he rightly deserved in Milwaukee. :D