Boston Gammons - Julio Lugo

southsideirish71

Interesting idea. Personally I think the bench looks good. I think both Pablo and Willie are capable role players and I have zero problem with them. You also will have Carl and eventually Gload to go along with Widger. With those 5 I have no problem. Of course Timo is somewhere in that group as well (although one player would have to be down once Gload is up).

However the question comes to Crede/Uribe and if your going to trade for someone your going to trade for a starter. My theory is you better trade for 3b because Uribe is a plus defensive SS and there is zero reason to move him to 3rd and he's too important to the club to have him on the bench (Juan is a good player, no doubt about that).

I'm of the camp that says if the Sox acquire a 3B they will deal Crede so with that said Lugo just isn't an option, imo, because I don't see the Sox acquiring a starting SS, they want a 3B.

All that said if the price was right Lugo is a quality player, I just don't see where he makes the Sox much better and if your gonna make a deal, you need to make one that makes a marked improvement to the club, imo.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
I'm not jacked at all about Crede. I think Juan is the one to be excited about. He was taking all sorts of pitches over the weekend that he would have flailed away at in the absence of Frank Thomas. But with the Big Hurt in his ear after every AB, he's taking first pitch almost every time now. He also went oppo twice today. He's about to go on a tear.

That wouldn't suprise me at all regarding Uribe, he was due to come around at some point this season after April.

Uribe's splits are still hard to follow though. He's great against lefties, suck against righties (as does most of our team), but is hitting way better away than at the Cell still. If he does go on a tear though, the Sox brass could think about moving him up the order possibly.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
I'm guessing that at this point adding payroll is not an option. I am guessing again that as long as we are in first place, JR isn't going to be too quick to increase dollars.

Probably depends on the type of player and how much payroll has to go up. Of course there's other factors like attendance going up in the summer etc.

I doubt Lugo is going to put us over the top anyways. A guy like Joe Randa however........

Any team where only one starting position player has an OPS over .800 should not be worried about strengthening the bench.

It's likely that if an extra bench player is indeed acquired, a case can be made that the bench player should actually be starting. For example, Lugo vs. Uribe:

Lugo - .287/.333/.371 (15 SB, 3 CS)

Uribe - .246/.282/.372

Even though I have questions about Lugo's character, he would be the perfect bench player to add to this team to help with the middle infield back-up problem we have. Lugo is also a very good runner, as the SB numbers that have been discussed on here. I'd be a lot more comfortable with him on the bench in case of an injury than I would be with Ozuna and Harris.

Julio Lugo? Me like.

.292 / .694 VS. RIGHT: .284 / .709 HOME: .268 / .674 AWAY: .302 / .729

Good average, low 300 OBP, high 300 SLG. His SLG would improve at the Cell. He's primarily a SS & would sub for Uribe.

Bench: Everett, Widger, Gload, Lugo, Harris

Power in Widger & Everett. Hits in Gload & Lugo, & speed in Harris.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Even though I have questions about Lugo's character, he would be the perfect bench player to add to this team to help with the middle infield back-up problem we have.  Lugo is also a very good runner, as the SB numbers that have been discussed on here.  I'd be a lot more comfortable with him on the bench in case of an injury than I would be with Ozuna and Harris.

lugo has more expereince than the two and used to start for the astros, so he knows how to field and steal, would be a good move, i hope your reading some of these threads KW