Another trade idea

sox-r-us

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
Randa's most telling stat. BA with runners in scoring position and less than two outs .294.  With 2 outs.....  .381.

Keep Uribe at SS, put Joe and 2 on the bench, and get Randa.  Uribe will come out of it, and Randa can keep the offense going and drive in runs when men are on instead of King to strand them.

Joe Credes stats with men on and less than 2 outs  .250 and with 2 outs its .125.

the more I hear about Randa, the more I'd like to see him here. he's a proven hitter that uses the whole field and he won't be a liability defensively at third. the Reds only signed him to a one-year deal, so if KW is looking to trade for him, I'm all for it, because he is the best fit in my opinion.

Edited by AirScott

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a stupid trade idea for three reasons off the top of my head...

1) He's signed for three years. He won't be productive for long...

2) We'd be making our defense worse...

3) Move Iguchi down to the bottom of the order. Is that a joke? Iguchi has become nothing but an almost ideal #2 hitter. Ozzie would be a complete moron to do that.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
the more I hear about Randa, the more I'd like to see him here.  he's a proven hitter that uses the whole field and he won't be a liability defensively at third.  the Reds only signed him to a one-year deal, so if KW is looking to trade for him, I'm all for it, because he is the best fit in my opinion.

Thats because all you hear about on these boards is how we need Joe Randa. He should be a back up plan, nothing more.

First of all, I can't understand how people are saying that replacing Uribe with Vizquel would make our defense worse. Vizquel is as good with the glove as anyone in the league at short.

Secondly, I still don't want him. One of these weeks, maybe now that Frank's back, Uribe's going to suddenly find his swing like he did at the beginning of last year, and he'll wind up this season hitting .300 with 20 home runs again. He did most of his damage during those first 2 months, and I think he's worth waiting on, especially given he's no longer a defensive liability.

If you're going to make a trade, think bullpen help. Particularly a reliever who can go more than 2 innings. That's about it.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 05:23 AM)
Thanks for the props.

Well, I think the reason the Giants would let him go is because their master plan has failed miserably. I was just listening to a baseball show on the radio. They had Tim Kurkjan on and he said the Giants are definitely going to start selling soon. They are going to start playing their youngsters and give up very soon here. The Giants have nothing working for them, and even if Barry comes back, they have no shot with the way Schmidt is pitching.

If the Giants are sellers maybe we sould take a look at Scott Eyre

I like this trade idea. But only if Crede is the one that gets shafted. Move Uribe to 3rd (he has a cannon for an arm) and play Omar at SS. Uribe has been heating it up offenseively and his defensive skills are above average, Crede on the other hand will hit a home run every once in awhile- but in between there are waaaayyy too many pop-outs and strike outs.

KW did really want Omar in the offseason- but as you guys said before his contract is rediculous and I highly doubt the Giants would eat it up if they ended up trading him here. Not to mention KW probably felt dis-respected when Omar who almost was a garunteed sign for us decided to to go play for the Giants last minute. So the chances of a trade like this happening is 50-50.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Mercy, I can't believe I've put so much time into a fantasy trade thread...

I'm fairly new to this forum, and I haven't participated in other forums. I'm curious as to the constant, abundant trade threads I see here.

Does the proliferation of fantasy baseball leagues have something to do with this mindset? I'm unfamiliar with the workings of fantasy baseball, but I understand it involves constant shopping of players among the participants.

I'm fairly new to this forum, and I haven't participated in other forums. I'm curious as to the constant, abundant trade threads I see here.

Does the proliferation of fantasy baseball leagues have something to do with this mindset? I'm unfamiliar with the workings of fantasy baseball, but I understand it involves constant shopping of players among the participants.

After being here for quite a while, I've learned these trade threads pop up every other day. It's something for people to talk about, even though most of the ideas have little basis in reality.

The Joe Randa obsession is way over the top, it's as if posting it 1000 times will somehow make it happen.

All in all these trade threads are harmless, but I really wonder if people think things through before posting.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
After being here for quite a while, I've learned these trade threads pop up every other day.  It's something for people to talk about, even though most of the ideas have little basis in reality.

The Joe Randa obsession is way over the top, it's as if posting it 1000 times will somehow make it happen.

All in all these trade threads are harmless, but I really wonder if people think things through before posting.

Thanks, Jim.

I see them as harmless myself. I'm confused as to what promotes such thinking. That's why I associated them with fantasy baseball leagues.

Some, if not most, appear to be completely arbitrary. Anyone can pull names out of a hat, and with a bit of baseball knowledge, the proposed trades can be made to sound reasonable. Indeed, many of the threads make good sense strategically, but I don't see the purpose in discussing things that have no basis in reality.

The discussions can be interesting and fun, I guess.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
Thanks, Jim.

I see them as harmless myself. I'm confused as to what promotes such thinking. That's why I associated them with fantasy baseball leagues.

Some, if not most, appear to be completely arbitrary. Anyone can pull names out of a hat, and with a bit of baseball knowledge, the proposed trades can be made to sound reasonable. Indeed, many of the threads make good sense strategically, but I don't see the purpose in discussing things that have no basis in reality.

The discussions can be interesting and fun, I guess.

There is some basis in reality here nv. Go read my 1st post again.

The trade deadline is coming up soon and we have enough data from our team to recognize where our flaws are where we should upgrade. You know all of the other contenders will do the same.

The Giants will be selling soon (Tim Kurkijan reported he was confident this would happen based on some of the talks he has had with execs around the league and with the GIants). It does not take a genius to figure that out.

We do need an upgrade at 3B primarily and maybe SS secondarily. Look at our O #s compared to rest of league. Also, if Kenny can figure out a way to bench Crede and make Uribe play 3B he will do it. Then look at the #s Omar has against righty pitching and Uribe's # agaiunst lefty pitching. Then look at how Uribe sucks against righty pitching. And how Crede sucks against any (pop warner) pitching.

Kenny did love Omar. Yes they had some fall out based on where he landed, but professionals do not let personal feelings get in the way of doing what their job is. Kenny's job is to get us to the Series and win it.

Omar does mitigate a lot of the chemistry concerns a team like ours has making a trade when we have the best record in the league. Omar also brings a veteran, play off tested resume to the dug out, which can only help when the pressure builds in Sept and Oct.

=====================

Now if all that you are looking for is for people to only post based off someone reporting this is close to happening then what is the point of a message board. If that is your definition of posting off reality, you can get that info at any sports website (ESPN, CNNSI etc). Just because we are not GMs or reporters does not mean we cannot throw ideas out there to discuss. Read my 1st post again....I said this is something Kenny should consider. What part of "consider" do you not understand?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
There is some basis in reality here nv. Go read my 1st post again.

The trade deadline is coming up soon and we have enough data from our team to recognize where our flaws are where we should upgrade. You know all of the other contenders will do the same.

The Giants will be selling soon (Tim Kurkijan reported he was confident this would happen based on some of the talks he has had with execs around the league and with the GIants). It does not take a genius to figure that out.

We do need an upgrade at 3B primarily and maybe SS secondarily. Look at our O #s compared to rest of league. Also, if Kenny can figure out a way to bench Crede and make Uribe play 3B he will do it. Then look at the #s Omar has against righty pitching and Uribe's # agaiunst lefty pitching. Then look at how Uribe sucks against righty pitching. And how Crede sucks against any (pop warner) pitching.

Kenny did love Omar. Yes they had some fall out based on where he landed, but professionals do not let personal feelings get in the way of doing what their job is. Kenny's job is to get us to the Series and win it.

Omar does mitigate a lot of the chemistry concerns a team like ours has making a trade when we have the best record in the league. Omar also brings a veteran, play off tested resume to the dug out, which can only help when the pressure builds in Sept and Oct.

=====================

Now if all that you are looking for is for people to only post based off someone reporting this is close to happening then what is the point of a message board. If that is your definition of posting off reality, you can get that info at any sports website (ESPN, CNNSI etc). Just because we are not GMs or reporters does not mean we cannot throw ideas out there to discuss. Read my 1st post again....I said this is something Kenny should consider. What part of "consider" do you not understand?

I read your first post, and it was pure conjecture. Don't take my words personally. They're not meant that way.

You're free to discuss anything you want. I said the threads are harmless, and they are probably fun for some. I just don't see the point in dissecting the team's needs and proposing possible solutions, but that's just me. It's not a slam on you. Saying the Sox need a better 3rd baseman is one thing. Trying to predict what KW may do, if anything, is something else entirely.

You're right; we're not GMs. That's why I don't attempt to predict what KW may be doing. There are many teams willing to deal, and dozens of players that may be dealt. There is no way to know what may or may not happen. Like I said, it's fine to speculate and discuss, but I don't see the point in it. I read a statement by KW that he's not looking to make any major moves. Sure, many claim he's not being honest about that, but I have no reason not to believe him.

My original question was the influence of fantasy baseball on this type of thinking. Look at it from my standpoint. I don't play fantasy baseball, and I don't think about trades until they are completed or are in process. If I played fantasy baseball, I might think about making trades.

Yes, you make a good case in your posts, but I'm saying that a good case can be made for any number of deals. That's what I don't understand. Why is your proposition any more realistic than others?

My trade idea is definitely not more realistic than others. Hence I called it a suggestion.

My trade ideas are definitely not motivated off of fantasy baseball. I play fantasy football but I will definitely never play fantasy baseball (unless I am willing to be thrown out of my family :))

Trade ideas are purely for fun, and like you said, purely harmless conjecture. Though I would argue anything EVER posted on a message board is purely harmless commentary/conjecture.

I know you are not trying to get personal on me regarding this. No harm taken.

As we get closer to trade deadline, there will be more concrete ideas/rumors to go off and debate. Currently though, we will have to live with arbitrary ideas, hopefully most of which are founded off some semblance of reality.

Cheers :cheers

I like it. I don't know how realistic it is but I still like it. Especially given that KW wanted Omar desperately in the off-season. Getting him for the 2nd half would be a big lift.

If there is any player that can make a quick transition from SS to 3B it is Uribe. His best asset is his arm & that has greater value at 3B. Crede then would be relegated to being a power bat off the bench to sub Uribe.

I would be somewhat concerned about Iguchi having to learn how to play with Omar this late in the season but then we are talking about a future HOF GG SS.

SF on the other hand would essentially be starting over at the SS position.

We don't have a prospect to help them out there & they signed Omar on the basis that they have little depth there as well. This is why I think guys like Durham are more likely to go before Omar does.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
As we get closer to trade deadline, there will be more concrete ideas/rumors to go off and debate. Currently though, we will have to live with arbitrary ideas, hopefully most of which are founded off some semblance of reality.

Cheers  :cheers

I'm not trying to shoot anything down, but concrete rumors? There's no such thing. I don't think Kenny would go after Omar. And how would Omar take to being a platoon player like you suggested earlier? He did "consider" it, and Omar went to the Giants. Now it's time to move on. Whatever Kenny does, or doesn't do, will be in the best interest of the Sox.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to take this opportunity to bump this thread, because Harold Reynolds said on BBTN that Kenny is looking at Omar Vizquel.

Hence, a hearty FOCK YOU to all you bastages who called out my analysis.

I was the FIRST person to say that Kenny should at least make a call for him.

Now, I still believe it is a remote possiblility that Omar comes to the Sox, but at least my analysis was spot on and that Kenny is at least thinking about it.

SO AGAIN A HEARTY FOCK YOU TO ALL OF THOSE THAT HAVE NO CLUE :P :D :chair

:bringit

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
I wanted to take this opportunity to bump this thread, because Harold Reynolds said on BBTN that Kenny is looking at Omar Vizquel.

Hence, a hearty FOCK YOU to all you bastages who called out my analysis.

I was the FIRST person to say that Kenny should at least make a call for him.

Now, I still believe it is a remote possiblility that Omar comes to the Sox, but at least my analysis was spot on and that Kenny is at least thinking about it.

SO AGAIN A HEARTY FOCK YOU TO ALL OF THOSE THAT HAVE NO CLUE  :P  :D  :chair

:bringit

This has been talked about a lot in the sub forum.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:21 AM)
Weren't you the one who made the "Send Neal Cotts to AAA" thread?

Yeah...  right...

I made the "Neal Focking Cotts" thread....not the "Send him down to AAA" thread :P

Get your facts straight.... :D

But I will man up and say I was wrong there....Neal has definitely blossomed this year and that is great :headbang

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
Only recently......I made this thread ages before that.....read the date of the 1st post  :fyou

Thanks dude, I had no idea this thread didn't spring 5 pages in less then like 3 minutes. My point was no need to bump this when it's being talked about already in the sub forum.