Winning it all..

Controlled Chaos

Can we win it all with this team?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Can we win it all with this team?

• Yes, The talent is there we just need to hit on all cylinders.
    • No, We need some minor outside help...(bench player)
    • No, We need major outside help...(starter)

I think we can do it with these guys. I think come playoff time...we go with our best guys and we can get it done.

Out of our 21 losses only 6 have come with our regular starting lineup.

In those 6 games are 1)Shingo's blow up. 2)Loss after winning 8 in a row. 3)Facing Prior. 4)Santana 5 hit SO. 5) JG blow up 7ER. 6) Buehrle Gem, Hermy first blown save.

Yeah we lose sometimes with our regular lineup in there, but even some of them have been flukes or just hitting some pitchers that were dead on.

I think with our regular lineup and going with the hot hand at DH be it Carl or Frank or alternating them...we will be just fine. I have the utmost confidence in these guys...and they have confidence in each other. I dont see too many trades out there worth screwing that up.

Podsednik

Iguchi

Everett\Thomas

Konerko

Rowand

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
I do agree, after seeing how this team has come together, and no signs of them really slowing down, I think this team can go very, very far with the players we have now.

However, just increasing those chances, I think another arm in the pen will help, ALOT. Getting a Guardado, or Batsita would just give the pitching staff just another shot in the arm.

I think Viz will come around and be the reliever he was last year, as will Shingo. I think this team needs a decent backup 1B/3B. A Mackowiak would be nice, but Mike Lamb would look good in a Sox uni. Ensberg is ensconsed at 3B for the Astros and Berkman is the next 1B for the Astros.

We need to get Gload back in place of Timo. That will be a decent upgrade, give us a backup 1b, and let us keep speed (Harris) on the bench in case we need a pinch runner.

We need to remove 1 of the dark spots in our bullpen - Shingo and Viz. Viz has looked better of late. Either they need to return to last year's average and great forms, or 1 of them needs to be replaced.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
I'd like anothe reliever.

Honestly that's about it.

We hoepfully will have a veteran bench guy in everett.  I think crede will do for now.

I've been bouncing around 3B trades in my head for a couple weeks now but I'll have to agree with you. Plus it goes against the conventional wisdom, which is how Kenny built this team in the first place.

It would have to be a stud reliever though, like Guardado. :headbang

Edited by southsider17

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
.  Plus it goes against the conventional wisdom, which is how Kenny built this team in the first place.

I'd say this team is VERY conventional in terms of its construction: lead-off man, a good #2 hitter, some sluggers, good defensive infielders, outfielders that can cover a lot of ground, 5 good starting pitchers, and a good bull-pen. Sounds like a recipe for success to me!

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
I'd say this team is VERY conventional in terms of its construction: lead-off man, a good #2 hitter, some sluggers, good defensive infielders, outfielders that can cover a lot of ground, 5 good starting pitchers, and a good bull-pen.  Sounds like a recipe for success to me!

You know, you're right. Poor choice of words I guess.

I guess I should have said "goes against popular media wisdom".

Now there's an oxymoron for ya! :lolhitting

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
I'd say this team is VERY conventional in terms of its construction: lead-off man, a good #2 hitter, some sluggers, good defensive infielders, outfielders that can cover a lot of ground, 5 good starting pitchers, and a good bull-pen.  Sounds like a recipe for success to me!

We got the recipe...we know whats for dessert...lets start cooking the meal!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang

Edited by Controlled Chaos

How has our O done against stud pitchers???? We got owned by Santana. We got owned by Prior. And we got owned by Zambrano. I cannot remember us beating a stud pitcher yet.

Do you have faith in the playoffs on this lineup against a healthy Curt Schilling or Matt Clement or Radke or Santana or any of the Angels starters followed by Donnelly, Shields and KRod???? I sure as hell do not.

Also do you have faith that Buerhle or Garland can shut down the Angels or Bo Sox or Twinkies line up? Again, I sure as hell do not.

Say what you want but this team has been amazingly lucky in terms of how it has missed playing against stud players/pitchers.

We have played against:

1 series vs Os without Sosa (and we went 2-2)

2 series vs Angels without Guerrero (and we went 4-3)

3 (?) series vs Twinkies without Morneau (until now)

1 series vs Padres without going up against Peavy or Eaton (and we went 2-1)

2 (?) series vs Tigers without Maggs (until now)

1 series vs Cubs without Wood (and we went 2-1)

And I know there are some more out there....

PS: We will miss Wood and Prior again most likely against the Cubs.

Edited by sox-r-us

We definitely need a backup 1B. I know Gload will be back, but they don't know when. No use waiting. Look what Washington did, they didn't want to wait for Vidro, so they went and got a 2B in Spivey.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
How has our O done against stud pitchers???? We got owned by Santana. We got owned by Prior. And we got owned by Zambrano. I cannot remember us beating a stud pitcher yet.

Do you have faith in the playoffs on this lineup against a healthy Curt Schilling or Matt Clement or Radke or Santana or any of the Angels starters followed by Donnelly, Shields and KRod???? I sure as hell do not.

Also do you have faith that Buerhle or Garland can shut down the Angels or Bo Sox or Twinkies line up? Again, I sure as hell do not.

Say what you want but this team has been amazingly lucky in terms of how it has missed playing against stud players/pitchers.

We have played against:

1 series vs Os without Sosa (and we went 2-2)

2 series vs Angels without Guerrero (and we went 4-3)

3 (?) series vs Twinkies without Morneau (until now)

1 series vs Padres without going up against Peavy or Eaton (and we went 2-1)

2 (?) series vs Tigers without Maggs (until now)

1 series vs Cubs without Wood (and we went 2-1)

And I know there are some more out there....

PS: We will miss Wood and Prior again most likely against the Cubs.

Oh relax...

Sosa isn't the threat he once was.

Splitting a series in Anaheim with or without Guerrero is fantastic in my book.

We'll see how much Morneau matters next time.

Still took 2 of 3 on the road, in an unfamiliar stadium.

Don't even get started on Maggs since he hasn't done JACK this year.

Didn't the Cubs just go on a pretty decent streak w/o Wood AND Prior?

This team may need some little pieces here and there, but they win on the road and they win close games, that seems to be a good recipe for playoff success, if you ask me.