Terry Boers rips Sox tradition

retro1983hat

Don't know if anyone heard that Terry Boers on the Score basically ripped the Sox and said that nationally absolutely no one would care if this team went to the World Series.

Said the ratings would be abysmal for the White Sox in the World Series and network execs would be dreading the Sox going to the fall classic.

Said of all of the old-time historic teams, the Sox have nothing that makes them likable or unique.

Said the current team couldn't get recognized anywhere if they weren't on the field wearing their uniform.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Said of all of the old-time historic teams, the Sox have nothing that makes them likable or unique.

I'd say the whole purposely throwing the 1919 series thing is a little unique.

It would certainly be unique if the Red Sox or Cubs had done it. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
Don't know if anyone heard that Terry Boers on the Score basically ripped the Sox and said that nationally absolutely no one would care if this team went to the World Series.

Said the ratings would be abysmal for the White Sox in the World Series and network execs would be dreading the Sox going to the fall classic.

Said the current team couldn't get recognized anywhere if they weren't on the field wearing their uniform.

what was his point? to root against the Sox so that the suits at the network can make more loot?

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)

Him and the other midget are not at all insightful or entertaining...Its the same schtick all day long...Boers' old decrepit ass can suck my c@ck!

Boers was moronetti before he took his crap to radio. He is a negative dolt like most idiots on that station. It sucks that the sox are moving there as there isn't a good broadcaster on that station North, B&B, no afternoon programming at all, Murphy is a complete clown, late night. They got the Sox because other than North nobody makes any money on that station. If they are paying murphy more than minimum wage they are stupid.

Let's assume Terry Boers is correct. So f***ing what? Is there a point to be found that I'm missing? Last I checked, The White Sox played in and for the city of Chicago, not the entire nation.

That said, I don't believe a word of it anyway. He's talking out of his ass, and who the hell is Terry Boers? (Don't answer that. I don't care who he is.)

I actually think that Bernstein is damn good (about the only guy on the Score who is) and is the only thing that makes Boers remotely tolerable.

That being said, unless there is a point I'm missing, who gives a s*** whether we are nationally loved or not. If we made it to the World Series, I wouldn't give a flying f*** whether the rest of the world was watching or caring. Let Cub fans worry about s*** like that. All I know is that myself and a ton of other Sox fans in Chicago (and some abroad) would be creaming there pants if we were in the Series.

My guess is that Boers said it simply for reaction. And as a radio guy, spouting off nonsense, with reason or not, is part of the job.

We aren't nationally loved. We're not America's team, like the Cubs, we're Chicago's team. I actually think he'd be right: no one in America outside of Sox fans would care. Ok. So what's the problem? I don't see one.

i disagree with the notion that no would watch a White Sox world series... The ratings would not be that bad. There would be huge ratings in chicago (3rd largest market) , so high ratings would depend on what NL team we would play.

but we are getting way ahead of ourselves. lets see if we can win a playoff series before we start thinking about world series ratings

jeez

But it wouldn't be true unless the media decided to make it true.

As easily as the BoSox and Cub curses are sold to the public by media spin, the media can and would develop compelling back story on the Sox not winning since 1917, throwing it in 1919, and finally making it back with a team whose style of play closely resembles that of the last Sox team to get to the WS in 1959. On top of that, you have one of a handful of marquis players that soend their entire career with one team and a coaching staff with a ton of history with the franchise as well.

I may be a bit biased but WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE ABOUT THAT?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
i disagree with the notion that no would watch a White Sox world series...  The ratings would not be that bad.  There would be huge ratings in chicago (3rd largest market) ,  so high ratings would depend on what NL team we would play.

Exactly.

The fact that the Sox haven't won in so long would be a huge draw. Does this idiot Boers think fans enjoy seeing the Yankees and Braves every year? I doubt they do. Having the Sox in the WS would be beneficial to baseball.

How many "national" teams does Boers think are out there? Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox. Maybe Atlanta and St. Louis. Having the Sox in the WS is no different than having any of the other non-national teams.

Edited by nvxplorer

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
Boers was moronetti before he took his crap to radio.  He is a negative dolt like most idiots on that station.  It sucks that the sox are moving there as there isn't a good broadcaster on that station North, B&B, no afternoon programming at all, Murphy is a complete clown, late night.  They got the Sox because other than North nobody makes any money on that station.  If they are paying murphy more than minimum wage they are stupid.

Murph is the motherf***ing man IMO and an absolute joy to listen to. What's your specific beef?

And Boers is right in that the history of our franchise absolutely SUCKS. Currently, we have no players that the casual fan can get behind other than what, Frank Thomas? I can concede these things, and I'm hoping that others can as well. Just laugh it off. We're not sexy at all, we're like Joan Cusack in a bathing suit. ;)

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Murph is the motherf***ing man IMO and an absolute joy to listen to.  What's your specific beef?

And Boers is right in that the history of our franchise absolutely SUCKS.  Currently, we have no players that the casual fan can get behind other than what, Frank Thomas? I can concede these things, and I'm hoping that others can as well.  Just laugh it off.  We're not sexy at all, we're like Joan Cusack in a bathing suit. ;)

I was having a good day until I read your last sentence. Now I'm going to be picturing that all night.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Murph is the motherf***ing man IMO and an absolute joy to listen to.  What's your specific beef?

And Boers is right in that the history of our franchise absolutely SUCKS.  Currently, we have no players that the casual fan can get behind other than what, Frank Thomas? I can concede these things, and I'm hoping that others can as well.  Just laugh it off.  We're not sexy at all, we're like Joan Cusack in a bathing suit. ;)

AS LONG AS WE WIN BABY!!!!!!!

Winning the WS (or at least going to one) is all about ME! I don't care what anybody else thinks about it.