Questions for Dave Wilder

Chisoxfn

FutureSox.com will be interviewing Dave Wilder either later today or tomorrow afternoon. For those of you not familiar Dave Wilder is the director of player development for the Sox. So if anyone has any questions they would like to ask Dave, please post them on here and I'll do my best to ask him.

Also special thanks goes out to JimH for setting up this whole thing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
FutureSox.com will be interviewing Dave Wilder either later today or tomorrow afternoon.  So if anyone has any questions they would like to ask Dave, please post them on here and I'll do my best to ask him. 

Also special thanks goes out to JimH for setting up this whole thing.

I have a question for Dave Wilder. Who are you? :bang

How do you balance signability, cost, and player potential when deciding who to draft with your top picks?

Also do you think not having any supplemental or 2nd round picks will help you in signing difficult signs such as Jordan Danks?

Mike Michigan City, IN

I noticed that the Sox took several JuCo kids in this year's draft. Was that the plan going into the draft, or did it just happen to unfold that way?

In an article (by whitesox.com, I think), it said that you'd been following Lance Broadway for several years now. Was he your consensus pick even before his three starts against stiffer competition (like Tulane), or did those starts really push him into the #15 spot?

-Keith, Oak Forest.

Edited by CWSGuy406

What are your thoughts on the Willy Wonka remake and do feel Johnny Depp handled the role you played so well as adequetly as you would've liked?

Also, going into a draft is there a certain mindset to focus on one aspect and really hit it hard, (i.e. pitching, specific positon, high school guys, JUCO, College guys, etc.) rather they the so-called best available player theory we hear in most draft speak?

Mike

Hersey, PA

1. Please tell us about some guys you're exceptionally pleased with this year. Who has exceeded your expectations?

2. Can you give us an update on Ryan Sweeney, we noticed his average has dipped a bit recently, is he battling nagging injuries or is there some other issue? Are you at all concerned he hasn't shown HR power this year?

3. Can you give us a general idea of your responsibilities, i.e. "A Week in the Life of Dave Wilder"? (might want to ask this 1st to get him talking)

4. We noticed that both Robert Person and John Stephens were released from Charlotte, can you fill us in as to why?

5. Without slighting any of the White Sox prospects, if you had to name 5 guys whom you feel are within two years of contributing to a major league organization, who would they be?

6. In your estimation, what have the Sox been doing to teach and preach fundamental baseball to young players? We hear about how successful Minnesota is with their minor league instruction, is it fair to say the White Sox want to model that approach?

7. The White Sox drafted a young raw player out of high school last year, OF-1B Brandon Allen. He is supposed to be loaded with power potential. What can you share with us regarding his development?

8. (insert obligatory Leo Daigle question here)

Jim H.

Guys, one thing to think about when formulating these questions, note that Wilder is the Director of Player Development and as such, he will likely have less info on these new draft choices than the guy who's in charge of the draft, Duane Shafer.

Dave, as I understand it, will have more knowledge and input on the guys who are already in the system.

But it was noted he scouted Lance Broadway, so maybe some of his responsibilities overlap, which is why a good question is for Dave to outline exactly what he does on a week to week or month to month basis.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
Guys, one thing to think about when formulating these questions, note that Wilder is the Director of Player Development and as such, he will likely have less info on these new draft choices than the guy who's in charge of the draft, Duane Shafer.

Dave, as I understand it, will have more knowledge and input on the guys who are already in the system.

But it was noted he scouted Lance Broadway, so maybe some of his responsibilities overlap, which is why a good question is for Dave to outline exactly what he does on a week to week or month to month basis.

Jim good questions. I had a few of them on the same page as you (like the duties of the minor league development) and I plan on asking him how involved he is and am gonna make mention on how he saw Broadway pitch and what his thoughts are on him.

I also have a question for Jenks and how he's working in terms off of the field and what type of timetable do the Sox have on him.

Really looking forward to this and everyones putting out some good questions to get added to my already lengthy list :lol:

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)

I gotcha... OK how about this then.

Tell us about Jim Bullard, and how much of a chance he has to make it to Chicago?

Mike Michigan City IN

Tell us a bit about Richard Brooks and if he signs, how quickly could he advance through the system?

How have the Sox increased their scouting in the Domincan Republic over the past few years? Any chances of this increasing to other baseball areas such as Australia?

Can you update us on the condition of Tyler Lumsden, and how advanced is he with his pitches compared to the other big lefties in the system in Liotta and Gonzalez?

Wes Whisler has been struggling a bit lately with the Warthogs. Is he more of a boom or bust prospect compared to the other "name" pitchers in the system?

How is Francisco Hernandez handling low A ball? Is he starting to improve day by day, and are the comparisons to Victor Martinez still on the money?

Is Matt Nachreiner still slated to pitch in rookie ball again this season?

How have you seen Adam Ricks season thus far? Are you impressed with his OBP and the amount of walks he's taking despite the low BA? Long - term, does he still project to be a 2nd baseman?

Why is Thomas Brice being converted into a pitcher? Is this because of the highly rated OF prospects in the levels above him?

Which prospect has you been most impressed with this season, and is there a sleeper pick which you think we should keep an eye on in the future?

With the great progress that Bobby Jenks has made at Birmingham, how soon do you feel he'll be able to make that jump to the big club? Or are you looking at him to continue on to Triple A Charlotte?