The story on Ross Gload

Guest JimH

He says it himself, he reinjured the shoulder and it sounds like he's back to square one. Here is the blurb from the Sox site:

Not such a welcome return: Ross Gload was back in the White Sox clubhouse on Tuesday but not in the capacity that he had hoped.

He flew into Chicago on Tuesday morning to see Schneider and get an MRI exam on his right shoulder. Gload reinjured the shoulder a week ago Sunday when he was making a double-play throw in the first inning of a game for Triple-A Charlotte.

"I took infield on Sunday and then had a double-play ball in the first inning that I just didn't think about or just kind of made a good throw," Gload said of the injury. "I felt the exact pain I had had."

The timetable for Gload's return is now very uncertain as Schneider said that this is a setback where they will have to go back to the "drawing board." The doctor was not yet available at game time to look at the MRI results to determine what the next step will be in the process.

Gload had taken part in 12 games for Charlotte. He hit .364 during his time with the team, including two home runs and no errors. Before reinjuring the shoulder, Gload felt he was close to making a return to the team. Now, Gload will just have to sit back and watch the success continue for his teammates, something that has made all the setbacks even more frustrating for him.

"I think a week ago I started saying the White Sox won last night instead of we won, so it's frustrating to that point," Gload said. "Right now I have nothing to do with anything here.

"I was probably 80-85 percent a couple of days before I reinjured it. I felt I was almost through it and then just the one throw."

I don't think they can wait around much longer, it's obvious Gload will likely not play for a while.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I know exactly how he feels and it sucks the big one. After so much hard work to get back to full strength, all it takes is one movement of the shoulder and the injury comes back.

This sucks. He is my type of hitter, line drives and uses the entire field. He has a good glove and can spell the mighty homer or nothing GIDP Pull-o-matic.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 03:44 AM)
I know exactly how he feels and it sucks the big one. After so much hard work to get back to full strength, all it takes is one movement of the shoulder and the injury comes back.

Yep and you have no idea when it's gonna go out on you again, it can start to play with yoiur head.

I'd like to know exactly what the injury is, have they told us?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
Yep and you have no idea when it's gonna go out on you again, it can start to play with yoiur head.

I'd like to know exactly what the injury is, have they told us?

I wanna know the same thing. And yeah, it becomes a big mental thing. I've had the same injury 3 times so now I'm really really careful whenever dealing with my shoulder.

i thought Gload probably needed surgery at the beginning of the year. For some reason the new medication in the majors is rest for 3 weeks. It doesnt always help, and now Gload is probably going to miss the year because they delayed the inevitable. Im guessing torn muscle in his shoulder.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
i thought Gload probably needed surgery at the beginning of the year. For some reason the new medication in the majors is rest for 3 weeks. It doesnt always help, and now Gload is probably going to miss the year because they delayed the inevitable. Im guessing torn muscle in his shoulder.

The reason they try to do the "rest for three weeks" as you said is because that approach sometimes works and it a much better way of recovery than surgery. Physical therapy is also prescribed and it works in some cases, but not always. Apparently Ross will now have to have surgery, and the big drawback to having shoulder surgery is that for baseball players it's a long road to recovery, sometimes even a year. As Mike said, Ross probably isn't going to play anytime this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 04:48 AM)
I wanna know the same thing. And yeah, it becomes a big mental thing. I've had the same injury 3 times so now I'm really really careful whenever dealing with my shoulder.

Since it's his throwing arm, he'll be puling back on it a lot instead of letting it fly. I hope he's gonna be ok.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:24 AM)
Hmm I wonder where they all ran away to?

Also, Gload is done for the year, I get the feeling.

Rogo time? :huh

This really puts the Sox in a tough spot; if true, the sox may honestly have to start looking for a backup 1B in the mold of an Olerud or such.