What's El Duque's deal?

Adam G

Look at his last four outings:

5/16 vs. Texas: 2.2 IP, 6 ER

*missed a start with bad shoulder*

6/3 vs. Cleveland: 6 IP, 4 ER

6/8 at Colorado: 6 IP, 4 ER

6/14 vs. Arizona: 4.2 IP, 6 ER

These are not the types of outings that we need from Hernandez. Anyone think he's still nursing some sort of injury? He hasnt been walking as many guys the past two games (1 BB each), but the results just arent there this past month.

Edited by Adam G

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Look at his last four outings:

5/16 vs. Texas: 2.2 IP, 6 ER

*missed a start with bad shoulder*

6/3 vs. Cleveland: 6 IP, 4 ER

6/8 at Colorado: 6 IP, 4 ER

6/14 vs. Arizona: 4.2 IP, 6 ER

These are not the types of outings that we need from Hernandez.  Anyone think he's still nursing some sort of injury?  He hasnt been walking as many guys the past two games  (1 BB each), but the results just arent there this past month.

Well when you get behind every hitter 2-0 and 3-1 and then have to come back with a 84mph express meatball with extra cheese it goes a long way. He and the other cuban head case need to get the sign, throw the ball, then get the ball back for the next pitch.

If you couldn't see that his bad starts were just waiting to happen, then you weren't paying attention to his early starts. He had amazing luck early in the season avoiding the big inning, even though he gave up a ton of runners. His WHIP is a pathetic 1.60.

If you couldn't see that his bad starts were just waiting to happen, then you weren't paying attention to his early starts.  He had amazing luck early in the season avoiding the big inning, even though he gave up a ton of runners.  His WHIP is a pathetic 1.60.

Answer above.

El Duque's WHIP has been horrible all season long. Sooner or later it was bound to catch up with him. He can't get lucky all the time.

Edited by Jabroni

One interesting thought. I have read that part of the problem with pitching in Denver is that the thin air makes recovery a lot harder, and thus even makes their next start rough, as their body hasn't caught up like it usually would.

Now go back and look at the pitching preformances of Garcia, Contreras, and Hernandez in their first starts after Colorado.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
If you couldn't see that his bad starts were just waiting to happen, then you weren't paying attention to his early starts.  He had amazing luck early in the season avoiding the big inning, even though he gave up a ton of runners.  His WHIP is a pathetic 1.60.

Yeah, I've been paying attention, and the Cubans have gotten pretty lucky with timely inning ending double plays and such. It just seems like more than a change in luck is going on here.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
vazquez was throwing to a MUCH larger home plate last night...  I didn't know the strike zone changed from pitcher to pitcher... 

yeah, i noticed the same thing. But the umps strike zone isn't what beat Hernandez last night. He couldn't throw first pitch strike and fell behind almost every hitter. Both Cubans have a huge problem pitching from behind in the count.

I think both of these guys need to turn the game over to Widger & AJ. They are still too often shaking off signs & taking forever to deliver a pitch.

I read a quote by Cooper saying that El Duque is 2nd guessing himself right now. That might be an opening to stop shaking off signs.