front page of the wall street journal

sec159row2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
The only two promotions that have actually brought in more fans are Half-Price Mondays and Fireworks Saturdays.

Tuesdays, Wednesdays and even some Friday crowds are horrible and they will always be. The Sox never drew on those days. The Sox fan base is in the suburbs. Try leaving work in Arlington Heights at 5pm, driving to Lombard to pick up the wife and kids and then heading down to the Cell on a Tuesday against the Royals. It just doesn't happen for most fans.

Also the 2-for-1 upper deck thing on Tuesdays appears to be a bit of a bust. Fans want to sit downstairs.

Move to Stickney!

FWIW, I finally convinced a friend to get to a Sox game with me. We started looking at upcoming games, and there's going to be some big attendance numbers. There's very few, if any lower bowl seats on a lot of these games.

We've found a couple sites that have tickets for the Boston series at the end of July.

Tony Zackavec, 31, a Sox fan from Joliet, Ill., says Sox supporters typically are hard-to-please, working-class Chicagoans. "Ninety-nine percent of White Sox fans are blue-collar," he says, and they refuse to shell out money for a mediocre product.

So I am reading this article and I get to this point and think gee that's my brother. So naturally I call him and ask when he was at the US Cellular, and that he was interviewed. He says he wasn't interviewed at US Cellular he was interviewed at he Cubs/Sox game last month at Wrigley.

That just sucks that they have to go to the another field to do a story about our team.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
So that leaves you the train tracks & the north.  I could see hope in Metra built a nice station there with places to eat & drink inside it but it won't happen without Daley lobbying for the effort & he's yet to do that. 

I don't see Metra building a stop. I'm not sure if there is another line that uses the same tracks, but the one I know goes by is the Southwest service line. There is no weekend service and the last train runs at 8:30 pm.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Sure. Myself, though, I'm more of a "spur of the moment" guy. I'd like to get the "Sox 7" or "Ozzie 13", but I just can't decide 6 months ahead of time which games I want to go to. It's one of my flaws that my wife repeatedly points out. :lol:

I had the same problem last year, because of work and weather, I just could not commit to games in advance.

There should be some kind of 'frequent walk up buyer' incentive.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
I had the same problem last year, because of work and weather, I just could not commit to games in advance.

There should be some kind of 'frequent walk up buyer' incentive.

Actually something off of the top of my head that could be interesting... why not get something like a store card system like the grocery stores use for something exactly like this. Everytime you buy tickets day of game you get your card scanned, and after say 7 games, you get vouchers for free seats in whatever section you buy tickets in. Rules would be something like whatever increment you sign up to buy tickets in (2,4 etc) is how many freebies you get, and you get into what ever section of seating you pick to buy all of the time.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
Actually something off of the top of my head that could be interesting... why not get something like a store card system like the grocery stores use for something exactly like this.  Everytime you buy tickets day of game you get your card scanned, and after say 7 games, you get vouchers for free seats in whatever section you buy tickets in.  Rules would be something like whatever increment you sign up to buy tickets in (2,4 etc) is how many freebies you get, and you get into what ever section of seating you pick to buy all of the time.

I've thought of the same thing. OR

All tickets bought on a game day (not half price nights) at the Cell are marked as such, say printed on a different color. Collect say 7 tickets and you get half off of the next ticket (not half price night) you buy. There's a glitch and ways to scam every system, but they're worth a shot.

I know people who walk up only and still get to like 30 games a year. They don't really get any kind of discount (unless they go to half price nights) or thank you.

But those discounts are still related to just the price of admission. It's not enough. The best deal at the park remains kids day on Sun where kids get in for a $1. There is simply no better entertainment value for your $ in that regards & yet they still can not sell out kids day.

I had another idea that would help raise the consciousness of the White Sox with fair-weather fans. Credit card promotions. All major CC's are doing it especially Discover. You earn either dollars or points & with special purchases your points & dollars are worth much more.

As for kids day why not expand it to include a food & drink deal? Charlotte's doing it & I think if the White Sox really want to grow the attendance past 2M every year kids day is a great place to start. They should concentrate every effort on trying to sell these days out.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
But those discounts are still related to just the price of admission.  It's not enough.  The best deal at the park remains kids day on Sun where kids get in for a $1.  There is simply no better entertainment value for your $ in that regards & yet they still can not sell out kids day.

I had another idea that would help raise the consciousness of the White Sox with fair-weather fans.  Credit card promotions.  All major CC's are doing it especially Discover.  You earn either dollars or points & with special purchases your points & dollars are worth much more. 

As for kids day why not expand it to include a food & drink deal?  Charlotte's doing it & I think if the White Sox really want to grow the attendance past 2M every year kids day is a great place to start.  They should concentrate every effort on trying to sell these days out.

As for the credit card deal, the basis is already there... You have those people hawking MBNA White Sox credit cards at the games now. Tell them they have to give a one percent return, to be redeemed with the White Sox, either towards tickets, or gift certificates for merchandise etc.