Boston names famous foul pole after Pudge

southsider2k5

There is a story/ledgend about how that famous shot of Fisk waving at the ball happened. Supposedly, the guy working the camera had been told to cut to something else, but was distracted by a rat running at his feet. Consequently, the camera didn't move and was locked on Fisk the whole time. So, one of the best sports TV shots supposedly happened by pure accident.

I seem to rememeber that the camera moves with Fisk as he hops down the line. Then again everything surroundiong Fenway is a great story or tale. The guy who gave us the tour of Fenway told us that tale, maybe I have the details wrong.

Anyone else heard this?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
There is a story/ledgend about how that famous shot of Fisk waving at the ball happened. Supposedly, the guy working the camera had been told to cut to something else, but was distracted by a rat running at his feet.  Consequently, the camera didn't move and was locked on Fisk the whole time. So, one of the best sports TV shots supposedly happened by pure accident. 

I seem to rememeber that the camera moves with Fisk as he hops down the line.  Then again everything surroundiong Fenway is a great story or tale. The guy who gave us the tour of Fenway told us that tale, maybe I have the details wrong.

Anyone else heard this?

I, too, have heard that story. Supposedly the cameraman was trained to cut to crowd reaction or something, but a rat startled him and he stayed with Fisk. It was a complete accident, but it changed the way games were covered. That series changed a good many people's perceptions of baseball as well, and sparked a big resurgence in the game.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
There is a story/ledgend about how that famous shot of Fisk waving at the ball happened. Supposedly, the guy working the camera had been told to cut to something else, but was distracted by a rat running at his feet.  Consequently, the camera didn't move and was locked on Fisk the whole time. So, one of the best sports TV shots supposedly happened by pure accident. 

I seem to rememeber that the camera moves with Fisk as he hops down the line.  Then again everything surroundiong Fenway is a great story or tale. The guy who gave us the tour of Fenway told us that tale, maybe I have the details wrong.

Anyone else heard this?

yea, i heard that too

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

Anyone else heard this?

I never heard that. That is really interesting.