How good is Garland? (not just this year)

Hideaway Lights

190+ innings each of the last three years, a 4.6ish ERA (not horrible considering the AL average) and 12 wins in each of the last three years, a stat that few other pitchers can boast.

He's already got 86 innings pitched this year and with his durability and apparent poise at still a relatively young age, I think we could see the emergence of a right-handed Buehrle. A guy who will give you 200 innings every year, stay relatively injury free, go deep into every game and at the least get you 15 wins every year.

Garland has been ok the past few years always getting basically 12 wins. He has finally matured and I think is just entering his prime. I woudnt be surprised if he did start going 200+innings 15+wins each year for the rest of his career. I mean he is only 26 years old.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Garland has been ok the past few years always getting basically 12 wins. He has finally matured and I think is just entering his prime. I woudnt be surprised if he did start going 200+innings 15+wins each year for the rest of his career. I mean he is only 26 years old.

This is exactly my point. Hell, at this point I would take probably take Garland over Prior for the rest of his career. Guaranteed 12+ wins (probably more like 15) every year or bag full of injuries?

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
This is exactly my point. Hell, at this point I would take probably take Garland over Prior for the rest of his career. Guaranteed 12+ wins (probably more like 15) every year or bag full of injuries?

I'd trade Garland for Prior right now

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
See, I don't think Prior pitches more than 100 innings any year for the rest of his career. Injuries just find this guy.

He is the real deal...its just too bad he plays at the Crap Heap.

See, I don't think Prior pitches more than 100 innings any year for the rest of his career. Injuries just find this guy.

Give me Mark Prior and a manager that knows not to abuse his starting pitching everytime.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
I'd trade Garland for Prior right now

No way Prior hasent pitched an entire year in his life. Who know what he will be like after this injury. Prior may have been better then Garland before, but I believe Garland will have a better career then Prior in the end.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
there's no question who is more talented. But who will win more games in their career? Jon already has a 20 game edge on Prior.

I hate complimenting the Cubs as much as any Sox fan...but I think he will have a hall of fame career....and I would want him. I stand by what I said...I'd rather have Prior.

there's no question who is more talented. But who will win more games in their career? Jon already has a 20 game edge on Prior.

But prior has a 20 game edge is loses!

Sure, but Garland had what, a 4-5 year head start? 20 games isnt too much for Prior to overcome.

Prior has had 10+ wins in a season once in his career. Garlands has had 10+ wins in a season in his career 4 times.

Garland is 25 and 8 months. Made his ML debut in 2000 (but he pitched only 1/3 of that year, just 69 innings)

Prior is 24 and 9 months. Made his ML debut in 2002 (and pitched in 19 games that year...119 innings).

I'm not sure how their careers aren't comparable.

(edit: sorry, some corrections)

Edited by Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Garland is 25 and 8 months. Made his ML debut in 2000 (but he pitched only 1/3 of that year, just 69 innings)

Prior is 24 and 9 months. Made his ML debut in 2002 (and pitched in 19 games that year...119 innings).

I'm not sure how their careers aren't comparable.

edit: sorry, some corrections)

They are comparable Prior has been better era and k wise. Garland has been better in record and dosent get injured every year, but we all know if the injuries didnt happen to prior he would be having a much better career then Garland.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
They are comparable Prior has been better era and k wise. Garland has been better in record and dosent get injured every year, but we all know if the injuries didnt happen to prior he would be having a much better career then Garland.

Yeah, but this is the real world. If you had to take one pitcher from here on out and predict who would have more career wins, who would you take? I'll even give you the 20 win deficit with Prior.

Prior's arm will find new ways to get hurt. He probably won't even make it to 100 wins.

Garland, if his durability is any indication, should coast there.

Hideaway you just always find a way to get in an argument. Even with a complimentary post about Garland....go figure

With that said...I agree with your statement about Garland. I think he can easily be a 15 yr, 200 inning pitcher year in and year out. I just hope he is with the sox.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
Hideaway you just always find a way to get in an argument.  Even with a complimentary post about Garland....go figure

With that said...I agree with your statement about Garland.  I think he can easily be a 15 yr, 200 inning pitcher year in and year out.  I just hope he is with the sox.

lol...so you're agreeing with me

did anyone think we would ever try to compare prior and Garland before this season started. Come on guys, you know prior is a better pitcher, he has been unjured, but his ERA is still sick, and he got hit with a damn ball, it could happen to anyone. I would take him over Garland every day of the week. He will have an ERA under 3 for the next 5 years at least.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
I hate complimenting the Cubs as much as any Sox fan...but I think he will have a hall of fame career....and I would want him.  I stand by what I said...I'd rather have Prior.

When Prior first came up I would have agreed with you completely.... however, he has really been proven to be fragile. If he could stay healthy (which i doubt he can) he would be a top notch ace

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
did anyone think we would ever try to compare prior and Garland before this season started.  Come on guys, you know prior is a better pitcher, he has been unjured, but his ERA is still sick, and he got hit with a damn ball, it could happen to anyone.  I would take him over Garland every day of the week.  He will have an ERA under 3 for the next 5 years at least.

He also pitches in the N.L. while Garland pitches in the A.L. at the cell. Don't get me wrong Prior is one hell of a pitcher when healthy but there's the problem he's never healthy. Garland has proven to be durable while Prior has been proven to be the opposite.