Constitutional Amendment on Flag Burning

LowerCaseRepublican

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/voteonfla...DMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

Sure, you can't burn it...but damn it, you can totally turn its form into t-shirts, dinner plates, ties, dressy shirts, pants, suspenders, boxers, thongs, bikinis, do-rags, hankerchiefs, etc. etc.  What a f***ing crock.

The flag isn't freedom.  The flag is a symbol for freedom which includes the freedom to burn the f***ing flag.  I got a suggestion for the people that don't want to burn a flag -- DON'T BURN ONE.

Link doesn't work, but you are exactly right. God forbid we have the right to express...anything.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/voteonfla...DMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

Sure, you can't burn it...but damn it, you can totally turn its form into t-shirts, dinner plates, ties, dressy shirts, pants, suspenders, boxers, thongs, bikinis, do-rags, hankerchiefs, etc. etc.  What a f***ing crock.

The flag isn't freedom.  The flag is a symbol for freedom which includes the freedom to burn the f***ing flag.  I got a suggestion for the people that don't want to burn a flag -- DON'T BURN ONE.

And yet all of those things (shirts, plates, ties, etc.) still aren't a flag.

If the flag is a symbol of freedom, wouldn't burning the flag be a symbol of destroying that very freedom?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)

If the flag is a symbol of freedom, wouldn't burning the flag be a symbol of destroying that very freedom?

But what it is saying is that all these images of a flag can be shat on, eaten off of, have food dropped on them, etc. etc. etc. and that is fine but you can't do it to an actual flag.

If we truly respected the flag then they wouldn't allow for such callous commercialization of said image. As the article states: "Many Americans consider it the ultimate test of a free society to permit the insult or even desecration of one of the great symbols of the nation." Besides, Texas vs Johnson goes through showing that criminalizing flag burning is against the First Amendment: http://bessel.org/casejohn.htm

"The court first found that Johnson's burning of the flag was expressive conduct protected by the First Amendment. The court concluded that the State could not criminally sanction flag desecration in order to preserve the flag as a symbol of national unity."

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)

Good point, but, like you said, it's a symbol of freedom. The freedom to disagree with our government, the freedom to express opinions, even if someone disagrees with what you are saying. And that includes burning a flag if I want to (which I don't).

EDIT: LCR said it much better than I did.

Edited by TheDybber

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
"The court first found that Johnson's burning of the flag was expressive conduct protected by the First Amendment. The court concluded that the State could not criminally sanction flag desecration in order to preserve the flag as a symbol of national unity."

Hence the need for a constitutional amendment to prohibit such activity.

Yes, and we should also prohibit damaging the flag, flicking off the flag, and making faces at the flag.

THIS IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE AND MUST BE PLACED IN THE US CONSTITUTION

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)

So, Constitutionally protected First Amendment speech gets to be circumvented by people who just don't like it? God Bless America!" The Supreme Court already has shown that the concept of this "amendment" is antithetical to the liberties enshrined in the US Constitution.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
So, Constitutionally protected First Amendment speech gets to be circumvented by people who just don't like it?  God Bless America!"  The Supreme Court already has shown that the concept of this "amendment" is antithetical to the liberties enshrined in the US Constitution.

And the hypocrisy surprises you why....?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)

No way, Nuke. This proposed amendment means nothing. Flags can easily be replaced. This is not worth opening a constitutional convention. Once the convention is opened, to prevent this piece of symbolic protest, then those bastards can .... now, pay attention here .... add, change, delete anything they want to the constitution. The right to bear arms can be repealed, and there won't be a damn thing you or anyone else can do about it, for example. They'll just come and take your guns. You pro-abortion people out there, they can tack on an admendment making abortion unconstitutional. That would supercede Roe v Wade. Would you get to vote on it? Nope. It's a done deal at that point.

Do not let those crooked bastards have access to the constitution unless it is something very f***ing important. An anti-flag burning amendment does not qualify. Not even close.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:03 AM)
Do not let those crooked bastards have access to the constitution unless it is something very f***ing important.  An anti-flag burning amendment does not qualify.  Not even close.

:cheers Ditto for the gay marriage amendment we were previously threatened with.

The constitution is much more the living embodiment of America than the flag. Letting lawmakers wipe their ass with the constitution to make flags safe from protesters is :headshake

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 06:12 AM)
:cheers Ditto for the gay marriage amendment we were previously threatened with.

The constitution is much more the living embodiment of America than the flag.  Letting lawmakers wipe their ass with the constitution to make flags safe from protesters is  :headshake

Politically, we don't often see eye to eye. Here's one instance where I'm glad to say that we do. :cheers

I believe in the freedom to express your patriotism, or your disappointment in this country with the flag of this country. Because I believe in the freedom of expression, that we generally agree is a founding principle of this country. To adbridge that freedom in any way - especially when it does not cause physical harm or danger to anyone else - is patently unAmerican.

An amendment on flag burning is a joke IMO. There are a lot bigger things they could actually be working on, hell I'd rather seem them helping to find the killer with OJ.

This is a freedom of expression. The line in the sand for freedom of expression is does it harm someone else. In this case the answer is no. To me this is as symbolic as buring an apple pie or baseball, as buring a flag is just an expression.

There is zero need to rewrite the consititution to look like a good American.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
An amendment on flag burning is a joke IMO.  There are a lot bigger things they could actually be working on, hell I'd rather seem them helping to find the killer with OJ.

This is a freedom of expression.  The line in the sand for freedom of expression is does it harm someone else.  In this case the answer is no.  To me this is as symbolic as buring an apple pie or baseball, as buring a flag is just an expression.

There is zero need to rewrite the consititution to look like a good American.

Congress may pass it but I bet the states don't.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
Presenting...

How many people on this board do you think remembers that sketch?

And Yas...I don't mean to be nitpicky, nor do I want to get into an argument, but it's not pro-abortion...it's pro-choice. I have a couple of friends who don't agree with abortion and would never get an abortion (unless necessary), but are for the freedom of an individual to choose if she wants one or not.

Sorry, it just kind of irks me when someone says pro-abortion and that's not what it is at all.

Now, back to the thread......

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
How many people on this board do you think remembers that sketch?

Not too many, which is why I didn't finish the line to see how many other old farts chimed in.

[/basking in my increasing irrelevance]

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)

...or it would be a sign of living in a country where you have ultimate freedom?