Picked up the new Baseball America Mag

mwolfson

Yesterday, I picked up the latest Baseball America Magazine to read more about this upcoming "World Tournament" starting right around Spring Training next year and it looks very cool. Obviously, the United States is the favorite to win and I'd be extremely mad if we pulled a Team USA Basketball and lost at our own game but some of those others teams especially in South America/Latin America and the Carribbean could suprise a few people. The Sox seem to be well represented in the "projections." They have Ozzie coaching for his country and Iguchi playing for Japan, etc. I was a little suprised with their projection as Bobby Cox as Team USA's manager and the lineup seemed to be the perfect All-Star team but we'll see how it goes. If you guys have a chance and are intrested, I'd pick up a copy and take a look, it's a good read... Later!

- Mike

The U.S. may be the favorite, but they certainly won't be prohibitive favorites. There will be some very good teams in that tourney. If you remember correctly, the U.S. failed to qualify for the last olympics because they lost one game to Mexico.

Yeah... That Dominican team looks mighty tough and the projected lineup for Team USA is the typical veteran All-Stars... I'm not sure if that is the best chance of winning, maybe some younger speedy guys like a Posednik wouldn't be bad!

Agreed, the US will be good, but the Dominican and a few other countries will be sporting pretty good looking teams themselves. Japan will be a quality club as well considering they have quite a few good players in their league as well as in the majors.

The Dominican lineup is RIDICULOUS.

C Olivo

1B Pujols

2B Soriano

3B Aramis Ramirez

SS Tejada

LF Manny Ramirez

CF Jose Guillen

RF Vlad Guerrero

DH David Ortiz

Good god.

The US's chance comes in pitching. Their rotation is better, but I dare anyone to shut that lineup down.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
The Dominican lineup is RIDICULOUS.

C Olivo

1B Pujols

2B Soriano

3B Aramis Ramirez

SS Tejada

LF Manny Ramirez

CF Jose Guillen

RF Vlad Guerrero

DH David Ortiz

Good god.

The US's chance comes in pitching.  Their rotation is better, but I dare anyone to shut that lineup down.

You saw my arm... :bang

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
I forget which team, but I think its the Panama one, has Santana, Escobar, and Zambrono.  Thats a whicked filthy pitching staff.

Venezuela = Santana, Zambrano, Freddy Garcia.

They also get magglio. But I can't really think of any other stars from there.

Panama= Carlos Lee.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
Venezuela = Santana, Zambrano, Freddy Garcia.

They also get magglio. But I can't really think of any other stars from there.

Panama= Carlos Lee.

But that pitching staff could dominate. The lineup wasn't anything special. I think Mario Valenzuela was projected on it (former Sox farm hand).

You know me, I can't make a post where I don't botch at least one thing :D