Runaway Bride 2..

Steff

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050616/ap_on_...s/runaway_bride

Runaway Bride May Get Movie Deal 1 hour, 2 minutes ago

ATLANTA - Runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks made a deal with a company that is pitching a movie about her life to networks — annoying officials who spent thousands of dollars searching for her.

ReganMedia, a New York multimedia company, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution for a story in Thursday's papers it has acquired all media rights to the "life stories" of Wilbanks and her fiance, John Mason.

The company did not say whether any money had changed hands.

"I am looking forward to developing the scripted project with Wilbanks and Mason," company president Judith Regan said in a statement. "Theirs is an unexpected and compelling story of love and forgiveness that has certainly taught me a thing or two."

The 32-year-old bride-to-be disappeared from her Duluth home on April 26, four days before her wedding in a high-profile ceremony with 600 guests and 28 attendants.

She took a bus to Las Vegas and then Albuquerque, N.M., and claimed she was abducted and sexually assaulted, but later recanted, saying she fled because of unspecified personal issues.

Wilbanks pleaded no contest earlier this month to making a false statement and was sentenced to two years of probation and 120 hours of community service. She also was ordered to continue mental health treatment and pay the sheriff's office $2,550.

Duluth spent nearly $43,000 to search for her. Wilbanks has repaid $13,249.

"It's disturbing to me on a personal basis that she's willing to profit from this, but there's nothing I can do about it legally," said Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter, who pursued charges against Wilbanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
The thing is though that society tends to reward "criminals" all the time.  Look at Detroit and Indiana in the NBA, for example.

Detroit? Who are you referring to specifically, Rasheed Wallace? IIRC, he's been arrested for marijuana possession, but nothing else. Does he give off a criminal vibe on the court because he lets his emotions get the best of him?

The Pistons are clearly a classy team. They're all hard-working, team concept players.

And like I said when it happened, if Ben Wallace is a criminal for going after Artest, then so is everyone else who has ever pushed anyone on the court. That would include guys like Larry Bird and Michael Jordan. ;)

If you play enough basketball (and I know I have), you're gonna end up getting into a shoving match or two, especially when you get fouled in a flagrant manner.

But technically they broke the law.

Both Detroit and Indiana are actually pretty classy organizations, but there are players on both teams that broke the law.

What about all the people who have been arrested for domestic violence playing sports? We still buy the tickets and that supports them - even though it's indirectly. That's my point.

Getting away from the nuances of NBA style of play for a moment... :D

The runaway bride selling the rights to her life and getting a fat payday out of it is so pathetic and so predictable. Being a f*** up is the best thing the Butafuccos (sp?), Tanya Hardings, and Monica Lewinskis ever did for themselves from a payday perspective. Lack of any integrity, pride or dignity and an extreme willingness to whore themselves for a buck is also a common denominator.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
The runaway bride selling the rights to her life and getting a fat payday out of it is so pathetic and so predictable.  Being a f*** up is the best thing the Butafuccos (sp?), Tanya Hardings, and Monica Lewinskis ever did for themselves from a payday perspective.  Lack of any integrity, pride or dignity and an extreme willingness to whore themselves for a buck is also a common denominator.

And the American Way.. :usa

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
So punish the entire team for the mistakes of few..??

No offense kap.. but that analogy sucked, IMO.

That's a gray area for sports, but we honestly do as a society condone this stuff.

How about a leading role in a film by someone who has been convicted, then?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
That's a gray area for sports, but we honestly do as a society condone this stuff.

How about a leading role in a film by someone who has been convicted, then?

I don't care.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)

It wasn't that bad of an analogy.

I would imagine that The Portland Trailblazers' attendance drops would be partly attributed to their criminal persona.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)

What happens to families when their breadwinner gets sent up the river because he was dealing? Doesn't that punish the whole family? How about a group like Arthur Andersen getting procecuted as a whole for the transgressions of a few people?

It happens in the real world everyday. For whatever reason it is viewed as different when it happens to famous people.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
I don't care.

See? And that's the problem with you people... :P

Seriously, though, generally people who have criminal backgrounds people tend to look the other way. It's all about me getting my entertainment, not what's right or wrong or standing for a principle.

I know that you would stand on principle, steff, when you felt like it was called for, but most in society don't.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Back to Jennifer, how many people are going to flock to the movies or the tv to watch her story? I would say not many. And it's because people don't really care, not because they are punishing her for being a criminal, which was what southsider was saying.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
What happens to families when their breadwinner gets sent up the river because he was dealing?  Doesn't that punish the whole family?  How about a group like Arthur Andersen getting procecuted as a whole for the transgressions of a few people?

It happens in the real world everyday.  For whatever reason it is viewed as different when it happens to famous people.

Ok.. if you want to take this further... let's at least try to keep the comparison's even. Don't try tossing in a drug dealer or a corporate rapist and comparing them to an idiot ball player who was joined by fans in a a&b altercation.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
See?  And that's the problem with you people... :P

Seriously, though, generally people who have criminal backgrounds people tend to look the other way.  It's all about me getting my entertainment, not what's right or wrong or standing for a principle. 

I know that you would stand on principle, steff, when you felt like it was called for, but most in society don't.

That's all I'm trying to say.

The problem with what people...? :huh

For the record.. I have not bought music from the molesting duo of Kelly & Jackson for several years.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Ok.. if you want to take this further... let's at least try to keep the comparison's even. Don't try tossing in a drug dealer or a corporate rapist and comparing them to an idiot ball player who was joined by fans in a a&b altercation.

OK, how's this, we have drug taking (and I am sure dealing) athletes all over pro sports who are known by their teams to be using, and they don't get punished by the law, even though their drug use is public knowledge in many cases. Why is it different for them?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
OK, how's this, we have drug taking (and I am sure dealing) athletes all over pro sports who are known by their teams to be using, and they don't get punished by the law, even though their drug use is public knowledge in many cases.  Why is it different for them?

Why the hell are you asking me...?? I think the assholes caught with coke, pot, meth, roids, etc, etc, etc.. should be IN JAIL.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
It wasn't that bad of an analogy.

I would imagine that The Portland Trailblazers' attendance drops would be partly attributed to their criminal persona.

Again, we're talking about what, marijuana possession? Gun possession?

You're probably an idiot if you're carrying a loaded pistol in Oregon :huh: or you're trying to get through a metal detector with weed wrapped up in aluminum foil, but it doesn't make you a straight-up criminal (a felon to be more specific, a danger to society).

Mike Ditka is more dangerous to society than any Portland Trailblazer could ever be, what with his numerous DUIs. When you hop into your car severely intoxicated off of some Jim Beam, you pose a major threat to those around you. And yet, Ditka is still a hero to the masses, a true marketing tool. Hell, he's my hero. I'm not gonna deny it. :D

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
Why the hell are you asking me...?? I think the assholes caught with coke, pot, meth, roids, etc, etc, etc.. should be IN JAIL.

OK now why do athletes who committ assault and battery on a basketball court get a free pass over schmo's who committ it in a bar or similar place? Some would argue bar fights are just a part of the scene, just like a fight in a sporting event.