Sorry fantasy GM's, Sox not ready to deal

southsider2k5

Ozzie also defends Crede in there.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

While manager Ozzie Guillen likes the current makeup of his 25-man roster, he falls just short of saying the White Sox won't make a trade.

He wants to keep both Frank Thomas and Carl Everett, and he offered another defense of third baseman Joe Crede.

"People in Chicago start making trades without talking to [general manager] Kenny Williams," Guillen said Wednesday night before a 12-6 comeback victory over Arizona. "There's talk about either of those guys has to go. Right now we're comfortable with them. We're going to need those guys."

Thomas backed up Guillen's statements with his bat, smacking a home run that ignited a 10-run rally in the sixth inning.

Four of Thomas' seven hits have been home runs.

"Frank's homer was a wake-up call, and we started to roll," Guillen said.

Thomas would have a guaranteed 2006 contract for $12 million if he is dealt. He and Everett are sharing time right now at designated hitter.

"You want me to say we're going to trade somebody?" Guillen said. "We might trade somebody. I don't know. . . . Right now, we're not going to trade anyone. It's how Carl and Frank handle this situation."

Guillen saved his biggest defense for Crede.

"There aren't too many Joe Credes out there," Guillen said. "Believe me. There's not."

Crede has been under scrutiny recently because of his .241 batting average.

But Crede is tied for third on the Sox with nine home runs, posted a 14-game hitting streak earlier this year and has committed only two errors in his last 60 games.

"Not too many people can do what Joe does," Guillen said. "Maybe our expectations about Joe are too high. I said that last year and in the off-season.

"Maybe we think he has the potential to hit 30 home runs, drive in 100 runs and hit .280 or .290. We expect and want that, but maybe the expectation is too high."

Guillen compared Crede's status to that of Jon Garland, who already has won 11 games after three consecutive 12-win seasons.

"I have a feeling Joe Crede is going to be a tremendous ballplayer," Guillen said. "He's strong defensively, plays the game right. It's a matter of time. Hopefully sooner rather than later he has a breakout year."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now what the hell are we going to talk about? :angry:

Don't worry Yas, as soon as the Sox give up a run in one inning there will be plenty to talk about again. :D

To be serious for a moment though, I do think the bullpen needs a tweak. And the bench. Upgrades should be available in those two areas but frankly that's all I see them doing.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
Now what the hell are we going to talk about? :angry:

Let me give you a topic...

Crede sucks

Timo sucks

Jurassic's crazy

Garland should be a 15 game winner every year

The Count's forkball

El Duque's age

Konerko's GIDP

JR's a bad owner/part of a bad ownership GROUP

Kenny Williams sucks

Kenny Williams doesn't suck

Ozzie's mouth

Mike Squires (had to throw that in)

Podsednik in the all star game

Har-old, Har-old, Har-old...

Willie Harris' base stealing prowess

Small/Smart Ball

Discuss.

Ahh I get it. It's not that Joe Crede sucks it's that we have unreal expectations. Wanting your third sacker to hit 250 or better is probably a thought better left for dreamville. This article doesn't mean anything, Ozzie isn't the gm

It means a lot more than you think, Guillen has a big say so on acquisitions and ideas.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
It means a lot more than you think, Guillen has a big say so on acquisitions and ideas.

It means less than you think. Ozzie can talk all he wants.. if Kenny don't like them, they aint coming here. Perfect example.. Urbina. Ozzie wanted him, Kenny didn't.

Let me give you a topic...

Crede sucks

Timo sucks

Jurassic's crazy

Garland should be a 15 game winner every year

The Count's forkball

El Duque's age

Konerko's GIDP

JR's a bad owner/part of a bad ownership GROUP

Kenny Williams sucks

Kenny Williams doesn't suck

Ozzie's mouth

Mike Squires (had to throw that in)

Podsednik in the all star game

Har-old, Har-old, Har-old...

Willie Harris' base stealing prowess

Small/Smart Ball

Discuss.

:lolhitting

May I add a few more:

1. Timo sucks

2. Why is Timo playing?

3. See, I told you Timo sucks

4. (Name any other player) would have gotten a hit there, Timo sucks

5. Oh, Crede sucks too

6. Where are all the optimists now???

7. I HATE this team ... ummm ... no wait, I LOVE this team.

8. I should be manager, WTF was Ozzie thinking there???

9. A particular player isn't hitting in the correct spot in the lineup.

10. Cheap beer (oh wait, this IS a good topic :cheers )

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
It means less than you think. Ozzie can talk all he wants.. if Kenny don't like them, they aint coming here. Perfect example.. Urbina. Ozzie wanted him, Kenny didn't.

well im sure the payroll had something to do with that as well. But whatev

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)

Thank you. So many people think Ozzie is calling the personell shots. KW gives Ozzie his ear, but KW mkaes the decision ... unless $$$$ makes it a JR decision.

I stand by what I stated. Ozzie has significant input, but he is not the boss, hence the two different titles.

I knew that Ozzie would want Urbina for two main reasons, he knows him extremely well and felt he could help the bullpen. Two problems, trading within the division, plus the Sox had no one like Polanco to give up.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
:lolhitting

May I add a few more:

1.  Timo sucks

2.  Why is Timo playing?

3.  See, I told you Timo sucks

4.  (Name any other player) would have gotten a hit there, Timo sucks

5.  Oh, Crede sucks too

6.  Where are all the optimists now???

7.  I HATE this team ... ummm ... no wait, I LOVE this team.

8.  I should be manager, WTF was Ozzie thinking there???

9.  A particular player isn't hitting in the correct spot in the lineup.

10.  Cheap beer (oh wait, this IS a good topic :cheers )

11. Why does Quickman have a secret man-crush on MVP-Willie?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I stand by what I stated.  Ozzie has significant input, but he is not the boss, hence the two different titles.

I knew that Ozzie would want Urbina for two main reasons, he knows him extremely well and felt he could help the bullpen.  Two problems, trading within the division, plus the Sox had no one like Polanco to give up.

Ozzie wanted him last year.. and was told no. Ozzie also wanted Pudge BEFORE he signed with Detroit.. going so far as to flying him to Chicago to meet with Kenny.. Kenny said no. Ozzie doesn't have squat to do with the final decisions made.

Ozzie is forgetting that BorASS is Crede's agent.  Unless he's willing to change that Crede is a short-timer regardless of how he hits.  If he bangs out 30HR this year BorASS will be making him sound like the next Rolen come arbit time.

Tough to argue this.

Ozzie wanted him last year.. and was told no. Ozzie also wanted Pudge BEFORE he signed with Detroit.. going so far as to flying him to Chicago to meet with Kenny.. Kenny said no. Ozzie doesn't have squat to do with the final decisions made.

What I said was he has input, and significant input. KW himself says this. No question that Guillen does not have final say so, and that's as it should be. I would also venture to say Guillen has more personnel input (emphasis input) than most managers, but that's just a guess on my part.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Don't worry Yas, as soon as the Sox give up a run in one inning there will be plenty to talk about again. :D

To be serious for a moment though, I do think the bullpen needs a tweak.  And the bench.  Upgrades should be available in those two areas but frankly that's all I see them doing.

I agree. No big blockbuster this year (a first place team doesn't need one). A key tweak or two is all.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)

No kidding he has no input on final decisions, but where do you think the idea for the makeup of the team came from?