Fucking Earthquakes....

Cali

QUOTE(Cali @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Just had another one a few minutes ago. That's way too many lately. I think we're gonna be breaking off of the country pretty soon.... :P

I was just on the phone with an agent in OC and she's like "bla, bla, bla.... oh my GOOOOODDDDDDD.... whew.. bla, bla bla..."

:lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
I was just on the phone with an agent in OC and she's like "bla, bla, bla.... oh my GOOOOODDDDDDD.... whew.. bla, bla bla..."

:lol:

That could be a lot of things, Steff. How well do you know this person? :P

QUOTE(Cali @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Just had another one a few minutes ago. That's way too many lately. I think we're gonna be breaking off of the country pretty soon.... :P

Ya, that was weird. I don't know which one I felt. There was one in Yuccaipa and than another in Newport right at the same time.

I only felt it for like 3-5 seconds though, but I think this is as good of time as any to get out of the state for a few days, lol.

Until this past week it seemed like forever since the last time we'd had a quake.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
I have never experiences a natural disaster..........thank god. Unless floods and blizzards count?

Yes, I believe a flood AND a blizzard would count toward a natural disaster. See: Mississippi River flood of the early 90's...Blizzard of '78 in Chicago. Or was it '79?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
I have never experiences a natural disaster..........thank god. Unless floods and blizzards count?

Yeah they count -- but they're like the wimpy younger siblings to earthquakes and volcanos and hurricanes.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
Yes, I believe a flood AND a blizzard would count toward a natural disaster.  See:  Mississippi River flood of the early 90's...Blizzard of '78 in Chicago.  Or was it '79?

'79. That was only a few years after my family came from Yugoslavia illegally across the Nile River. :lol:

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Ya, that was weird.  I don't know which one I felt.  There was one in Yuccaipa and than another in Newport right at the same time. 

I only felt it for like 3-5 seconds though, but I think this is as good of time as any to get out of the state for a few days, lol. 

Until this past week it seemed like forever since the last time we'd had a quake.

I bet you it was the Yuccaipa one. I felt it too...and that's by far the closest one to me.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Wait, wasn't there an earthquake here in Chicago some-time last year. I remember waking up and hearing that 1 happened at like 3:00 AM.

IIRC that was down near southern Illinois and that the wave wasn't able to be felt my people. I remember my cats went nuts though.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Wait, wasn't there an earthquake here in Chicago some-time last year. I remember waking up and hearing that 1 happened at like 3:00 AM.

That quake was a pathetic it lasted less then a second.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
IIRC that was down near southern Illinois and that the wave wasn't able to be felt my people. I remember my cats went nuts though.

What the hell is up with your cats then?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Ahh yes, just like how dogs here that high-pitched s*** that humans can't?

Right.

LMAO.. another strange turn to a thread. Don't ya just love off days.. :lol: :lolhitting

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
I bet you it was the Yuccaipa one.  I felt it too...and that's by far the closest one to me.

Ya, I figure the Newport one would of been too small. Of course for my sake the Newport one is the one that would do the most damage to the area I live in. Its been a dormant fault for a long time, but its ripped off some of the larger earthquakes in the state and goes down all the way to ingelwood (which is where the Lakers used to play before Staples Center).

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)

The cool thing (or not so cool thing) is how a high rise building can feel the earthquakes from so much farther. I know LA high rises could feel the quake down in San Francisco (the one during the world series) and I guess high rise buildings have felt quakes a few states away even.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Ya, I figure the Newport one would of been too small.  Of course for my sake the Newport one is the one that would do the most damage to the area I live in.  Its been a dormant fault for a long time, but its ripped off some of the larger earthquakes in the state and goes down all the way to ingelwood (which is where the Lakers used to play before Staples Center).

There are dormant faults all over the LA Basin. That's the biggest thing we learned from Northridge; they're just all over the place. Downtown, just about every suburb, hell there's one a few miles south of me now. This place is cracked up to hell and back. The reason you don't know it is that most of them have recurrence intervals on the order of 10,000 years or more.