Fucking Earthquakes....

Cali

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
As long as you don't have to ask her, 'did you feel that?', then it's OK.  :P

No but I did shout it down the hallway in the basement here.

2 people other than me did feel it, 2 didn't.

You know, one of these days I'm going to bring my camera to school & take a couple pictures of the news vehicles lining up outside here whenever there's a quake. I biked behind a guy from NBC4 last Saturday when there was that 5.6 quake in the south of the state. Ah the joys of being a Caltech geology student.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
IIRC that was down near southern Illinois and that the wave wasn't able to be felt my people. I remember my cats went nuts though.

My hamsters weren't very happy right before either.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
There are dormant faults all over the LA Basin.  That's the biggest thing we learned from Northridge; they're just all over the place.  Downtown, just about every suburb, hell there's one a few miles south of me now.  This place is cracked up to hell and back.  The reason you don't know it is that most of them have recurrence intervals on the order of 10,000 years or more.

In general, anywhere there are hills there are or at one point were faults. Thats at least my rule of thumb.

I still say rather live in earthquake country than deal with blizzards, hail storms, and tornado's.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
Apparently you guys are being told not to use your phones...??? What's up with that?

Well I'm not listening. I don't think any major damage would of been done with the 5.3 but I'm not watching the news or anything. Just stuck at work.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
In general, anywhere there are hills there are or at one point were faults.  Thats at least my rule of thumb. 

I still say rather live in earthquake country than deal with blizzards, hail storms, and tornado's.

Actually, I'd say instead that everyehwere you go you can find old faults. Even in the middle of plain states where all of the hills have eroded away. They're just buried under significant amounts of sediments, and many are inactive, but there are still cracks in the ground basically everywhere you go.

The most common example given is the New Madrid fault zone - area in the Ohio River valley, southern indiana, basically flat for millions of years, only topography is due to erosion, and it experienced the 3 largest earthquakes in recorded Us History in the early 1800's.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
Actually, I'd say instead that everyehwere you go you can find old faults.  Even in the middle of plain states where all of the hills have eroded away.  They're just buried under significant amounts of sediments, and many are inactive, but there are still cracks in the ground basically everywhere you go.

The most common example given is the New Madrid fault zone - area in the Ohio River valley, southern indiana, basically flat for millions of years, only topography is due to erosion, and it experienced the 3 largest earthquakes in recorded Us History in the early 1800's.

Is the New Madrid one that one that was in Missouri where they had like two magnitude 10 quakes in like a 2 year period? That was back in the 1800's if I recall or early 1900's.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Is the New Madrid one that one that was in Missouri where they had like two magnitude 10 quakes in like a 2 year period?  That was back in the 1800's if I recall or early 1900's.

Yes, that was New Madrid, although they weren't magnitude 10's, they were in the magnitude 8 range. It was centered in Kentucky and Tennessee, although that would have hit Missouri and Illinois and Indiana as well.

And in case anyone's interested, this afternoon's quake was revised downwards to a 4.9.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
Is the New Madrid one that one that was in Missouri where they had like two magnitude 10 quakes in like a 2 year period?  That was back in the 1800's if I recall or early 1900's.

One thing to keep in mind is that the ground is a lot softer, and the shaking in an earthquake tends to be felt much further away than in a place like California. A magnitude 8 quake on the NM fault would probably cause big damage in places like St Louis and Chicago, according to what I have read.