Only 10% of Gitmo people really dangerous

KipWellsFan

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh...iews/khadr.html

What's your impression of Guantanamo? Do a lot of people belong there? What's your impression of the inmates?

They asked me always this question. I told them in 100 percent there is 80 percent of people that went to Afghanistan, like people that can't do anything. They've had enough. If you put them back in their countries they won't do anything. That's in 80 percent.

Among those 80 percent there is almost 60 in those 80, 60 that are people that haven't done anything. People that worked in a project in Pakistan, an old man that his son brought him, you know, just to sell him for $5,000. Drug dealers, people that didn't have anything to do with Al Qaeda were put there for no reason but because someone brought them there or someone thought of getting thousands for them, whoever captured them that they were Al Qaeda.

The rest, the 20 percent from the whole 100 percent, there's 10 percent of them that should be kept there and 10 percent of them if they go out and they catch up with Al Qaeda again they might go back to being Al Qaeda. But there's only like 10 percent of the people that are really dangerous, that should be there and the rest are people that don't have anything to do with it, don't even, don't even understand what they're doing here.

Just explain the bounty hunting, how people ended up there. That they paid a bounty.

At the very beginning, after Americans took over Afghanistan, they needed to show the American public that you know, we have got people. So there was normal Afghans would catch normal Arabs, normal small Arabs and go to the American base and tell them, you know what, we have a big commander. The American would say yes okay and they would just buy him.

If the Americans were paying large bounties, a large amount of money they would have ended up with a lot of innocent people there, don't you think?

Yes, a lot of innocent people. I told you the one story, I remember two, actually. One is the father that was brought by his own son. The son gave him a gun and took him up to an American base up there and took $5,000 for him. That's one story.

The second story is a drug user, a person that was sitting next to me, not worried about being in jail, not worried about what's going to happen to his family, not worried about what he's going to get. All he's worried about every time he asks the MPs to come around, asking them for a smoke, asking them for some hashish for you know, for marijuana, something like that, you know. Not even, he doesn't even know what he's doing here. Truly a drug addict, not Al Qaeda at all. …

A Frontline was done on this man, and he was on the inside of Guantanamo and he doesn't seem to think that they're just a bunch of terrorists.

view whole program online here

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/khadr/view/

But a warning, he's brown so he's probably not telling the truth. Oh and PBS did this report as an obvious attempt to harm the Bush Administration.

The story corroborates others suggesting that we were more interested in looking successful than actually being successful those first days rounding up people in Afghanistan. We bought a lot of Joe Shmoe ham-and-eggers from folks looking to make a quick buck, and that's who we're holding now.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
The story corroborates others suggesting that we were more interested in looking successful than actually being successful those first days rounding up people in Afghanistan.  We bought a lot of Joe Shmoe ham-and-eggers from folks looking to make a quick buck, and that's who we're holding now.

You can't say that for certain until these people get a hearing. When the left stops challenging the military tribnals process maybe some of those people can go home.

he's "former" CIA... why???

I'd much prefer to trust the person I voted for, President Bush, than some guy who no longer works for the CIA... If I didn't trust him I wouldn't have voted for him... it's a shame that the democrats or liberals haven't learned from the nov. elections... it's pretty simple.. 51% conservative.. 49% liberal.. the liberals lost and will continue the attack until 2008, and if they run hillary... just more evidence that the democratic party ignored the results from 2004...

man I wish there was a game tonight... I'm bored... :P

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
he's "former" CIA...  why???

I'd much prefer to trust the person I voted for, President Bush, than some guy who no longer works for the CIA...  If I didn't trust him I wouldn't have voted for him...  it's a shame that the democrats or liberals haven't learned from the nov. elections...  it's pretty simple..  51% conservative.. 49% liberal..  the liberals lost and will continue the attack until 2008, and if they run hillary... just more evidence that the democratic party ignored the results from 2004...

man I wish there was a game tonight...  I'm bored... :P

You're right to doubt him, so do I. But I don't think you can say anything until you watch the frontline epiosde or read the interview. I believe the question you asked is answered by him.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
You're right to doubt him, so do I.  But I don't think you can say anything until you watch the frontline epiosde or read the interview.  I believe the question you asked is answered by him.

I didn't vote for him... I voted for George Bush... what he says means nothing to me..

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
he's "former" CIA...  why???

I'd much prefer to trust the person I voted for, President Bush, than some guy who no longer works for the CIA...  If I didn't trust him I wouldn't have voted for him...  it's a shame that the democrats or liberals haven't learned from the nov. elections...  it's pretty simple..  51% conservative.. 49% liberal..  the liberals lost and will continue the attack until 2008, and if they run hillary... just more evidence that the democratic party ignored the results from 2004...

man I wish there was a game tonight...  I'm bored... :P

Porter Goss, the new head of the CIA had a "shakeup" which essentially was a purge from the CIA of all agents that disagreed with the current war on terror policy. A lot of agents "resigned" as a result.

And Gitmo isn't a left right issue. There are a lot of conservatives talking about the need to close down Gitmo and that these trials can be done here in the United States. Bill Kristol, for instance, makes a compelling case for it as well.

It's a shame that the hardcore Bush supporters can't see where he is overstepping his bounds in numerous sectors in regards to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. f***, even Bob Barr sees it.

/proudly.voted.libertarian.in.04

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Porter Goss, the new head of the CIA had a "shakeup" which essentially was a purge from the CIA of all agents that disagreed with the current war on terror policy.  A lot of agents "resigned" as a result.

And Gitmo isn't a left right issue.  There are a lot of conservatives talking about the need to close down Gitmo and that these trials can be done here in the United States.  Bill Kristol, for instance, makes a compelling case for it as well.

It's a shame that the hardcore Bush supporters can't see where he is overstepping his bounds in numerous sectors in regards to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.  f***, even Bob Barr sees it.

/proudly.voted.libertarian.in.04

I dont care where they do the trials as long as they follow the precedents set forth by the Supreme Court and try them under military commissions.