Sox won't be adding an everyday starter

beck72

the sox won't be adding a starting position player before the trade deadline. Even though the Sox are near the bottom of the AL vs RHP, the sox have guys on the roster who have hit well in the recent past. They won't upset the makeup of the team with a guy who may or may not get a few extra hits at the expense of hurting the chemistry.

This also means Carl will be around as well. If healthy, he can get some DH and OF time, keeping Frank and the OFers fresh. Seeing how he provides the LH power, where he has hit for a .862 OPS the last 3 yrs [only hitting .767 now], the big LH bat won't be coming.

The other starters who are hitting poorly vs RHP who have hit them better, aren't being replaced [AJ- currently hitting .250 w/ a .731 OPS, has hit them for a .305 avg and a .803 OPS; Podsednik, hitting .268 with a .658 OPS, has a 3 yr avg of .284 and a .758 OPS; Aaron, hitting .247 with a .695 OPS, far below his 3 yr avg's of .285 and .778 OPS]

With these guys bound to improve vs. RHP, the Sox biggest offensive weak area, the Sox can afford to have a Crede hit .240-.260 with solid defense. Seeing how 3b is the only spot to put a LH bat that could potentially get a lot of AB's, only Rob Mackowiak makes some sense, as a bench guy who can play elsewhere--[let's hope the Pirates lose their next 20 games and are in sell mode quickly, which they should].

But no big names will be coming the sox way for the everyday lineup. Probably just some tweaks. That big name hopefully will be in the bullpen

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Well guys KW is going to add huge position player at the deadline.

This just guerntees it!

why do you spell guaruntee "guerntee"? does this make your guaruntee less meaningful, as you also guernteed the Lakers won't make the playoffs next year?

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
why do you spell guaruntee "guerntee"?  does this make your guaruntee less meaningful, as you also guernteed the Lakers won't make the playoffs next year?

Because I cant spell.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
why do you spell guaruntee "guerntee"?  does this make your guaruntee less meaningful, as you also guernteed the Lakers won't make the playoffs next year?

and the lakers still wont make the playoffs next year!

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Because I cant spell.

well that works, just choose one spelling and stick with it. :D

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
and the lakers still wont make the playoffs next year!

hey I told you, last year they had no coach or team concept. now they have Phil Jackson, who brings both and the triangle, which is an upgrade over their offensive system the past year, known as "Pass-to-Kobe-and-watch".

oh, baseball, right. let's bring Everyday Eddie to the Sox!

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)

why do you spell guarantee "guaruntee"?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
I would love Eddie on the southside. Can you imagine Every Day Eddie throwing to AJ in the 9th against the Twins??  :headbang

I was looking at guys on a few different rosters that might have been teammates with current sox players. That way, Kenny could check in with these players to see if the new guy would be a good fit for the clubhouse. Dye with Oak, Hermanson with SF, AJ with Minn and SF. Guardado fits that criteria. Whether he'd be a good fit, who knows.

I just think any guy the sox add will be "vetted" by at least one current member of the team who had played w/ them in the past

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
Does guardado want to be traded? Has anyone seen anything saying so? He might really like seattle and not want to be traded which in other words means he is going no where ( remember that no trade clause).

If he wants to play for a winning team he should accept a trade. Sea. isn't going anywhere for a few years, way past Eddie's stay with them. He'd have to believe a team like the sox would be worth going to in order to accept a trade. As far as teams go, with a solid core of players and who will contend for the playoffs, the sox would have to have a decent shot as anybody. Sometimes a player's personal life supercedes the professional though

the no-trade clause does limit Sea.'s options. And with less teams bidding for eddie, his price could lower.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
I wouldn't mind going after Rob Mackowiak and their lefty reliever John Grabow.  Send them Willie, Borchard, and a pitching prospect like Sean Tracey.  Mackowiak is a lefty stick that can play every outfield position.  Maybe if we had him we would never have to see OMIT again. :pray

Willie could be needed this year. Even if he has to go to AAA in a roster move, Willie could step in if Iguchi got hurt.

If Mackowiak stays in the top 5 in NL hitting, he won't go anywhere. Let's hope he goes into a nice slump, that ties in with a Pitt. 10 game losing streak

Willie could be needed this year. Even if he has to go to AAA in a roster move, Willie could step in if Iguchi got hurt.

If Mackowiak stays in the top 5 in NL hitting, he won't go anywhere. Let's hope he goes into a nice slump, that ties in with a Pitt. 10 game losing streak

Mackowiak can play 2nd base. He has started 15 games there so far this season. If you don't think he's good enough defensively there, we would also have Ozuna to backup 2nd base.

And the Pirates would trade Mackowiak anyways, in my opinion. He is only under a 1-year deal right now and they will just owe him more money for next season. Dumping salary for cheap talent is the Pirates' way.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Mackowiak can play 2nd base.  If you don't think he's good enough defensively there, we would also have Ozuna to backup 2nd base.

I guess Willie could be moved, but I don't see it during 2005.

As far as to Pitt, they have a lot of IFers. Esp 2b with Castillo, Hill and Sanchez

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
I guess Willie could be moved, but I don't see it during 2005.

As far as to Pitt, they have a lot of IFers. Esp 2b with Castillo, Hill and Sanchez

^^. There's no market for Willie there, unless it was a 3 team deal. I know you want ol' Robbie boy Jabroni, but it's not happening for Borchard and Harris.